Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aria H.

Is a primer really necessary?

I've been looking at primers at Sephora (and have also seen a couple I'd be willing to try), but I don't really know if they are necessary.

The following I'm interested in are:

Benefit Cosmetics Dr. Feel Good

Philosophy The Present Clear Makeup

Philosophy On A Clear Day Protection Cream

Tarte Clean Slate

I know a lot of people here like Monistat Chafing Gel and Smashbox, but I'm not so sure I'd like them.

how will you know unless you try them? i wouldn't take the monistat or smashbox out of the equation. out of everything you mentioned, those are the two most talked about on this board. benefit's doesn't typically get good reviews, philosophy is supposed to be good too, and i haven't heard anything about tarte clean slate. anyway, just get samples of all of them and check them out. the monistat you can always return to the drugstore if it doesn't work for you.

I never thought they were necessary until I tried one out and realized my makeup looks SO much better when using a primer, I never do my MU without it! I agree with the post above, the monistat is the most popular one on this board and has great reviews on makeup alley - it has the same ingredients as alot of the high end overpriced primers at sephora, it only costs 6 bucks-try it..what do you have to lose?

Check out this page, maybe it'll change your mind:

http://review-monistat-face-primer.uncensoredguides.com/

:lol:

Are you serious?? I have never heard of this befor!! Monistat on my face? Wow...do you think it's ok to use if you have really oily skin cuz it's hard to keep my makeup on cuz my skin is so oily!! What exactly does it do anyway?? Please reply im so facinated now lol :D

Yea you can use it if you have oily skin, It will keep your makeup in place. Use it after your moisturizer and put it on and let it dry, it dries to a matte finish and makes your makeup look that much better.

Yea you can use it if you have oily skin, It will keep your makeup in place. Use it after your moisturizer and put it on and let it dry, it dries to a matte finish and makes your makeup look that much better.

Thats awesome!! Sure wish i'd known about this a long time ago! Im gonna go get some today and see how it goes! ;)

Are you serious?? I have never heard of this befor!! Monistat on my face? Wow...do you think it's ok to use if you have really oily skin cuz it's hard to keep my makeup on cuz my skin is so oily!! What exactly does it do anyway?? Please reply im so facinated now lol :D

It is not the Monistat you use for yeast infections. It is the anti-chaffing gel, which contains tons of dimethicone in it. (That is the primary ingredient in most make-up primers.) I decided to try the Monistat stuff first because it was so darn cheap and I like it a lot. I had a sample of the Smashbox primer as well and I really liked it too, but it is about six times the cost of the Monistat stuff.

It is not the Monistat you use for yeast infections. It is the anti-chaffing gel, which contains tons of dimethicone in it. (That is the primary ingredient in most make-up primers.) I decided to try the Monistat stuff first becasue it was so darn cheap and I like it a lot. I had a sample of the Smashbox primer as well and I really liked it too, but it is about six times the cost of the Monistat stuff.

Lol yeah I read the link about it, but i had never tried primers befor so it's gonna be interesting! Im kinda excited to see what happens cuz im so sick of using those blotting sheets a million times a day and my makeup never staying on :evil:

Well, the Monistat is hard to find (from what I've heard), and I really can't keep ordering stuff online. Bad habit :(.

As for the Smashbox, I just based it on the fact that Sephora's website said it wasn't good for acne-prone skin (I did the "narrow by skin type" thing).

It is not the Monistat you use for yeast infections. It is the anti-chaffing gel, which contains tons of dimethicone in it. (That is the primary ingredient in most make-up primers.) I decided to try the Monistat stuff first becasue it was so darn cheap and I like it a lot. I had a sample of the Smashbox primer as well and I really liked it too, but it is about six times the cost of the Monistat stuff.

Lol yeah I read the link about it, but i had never tried primers befor so it's gonna be interesting! Im kinda excited to see what happens cuz im so sick of using those blotting sheets a million times a day and my makeup never staying on :evil:

Another good primer for oily skin is Clinique Instant Pore Minimizer or Milk of Magnesia-read this topic http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=69204&st=0

Another good primer for oily skin is Clinique Instant Pore Minimizer or Milk of Magnesia-read this topic http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...=69204&st=0

Huh? Ok so I can put Phillips on my face? This is all new to me! Where do I find all this stuf and how do I use it? I love masks :D

Guest kiwikali

dr. feelgood isn't really good for acne-prone skin, it's so... greasy

on a clear day is really good, but not the best primer. it smells like lavender though!

smashbox photo finish light is the best i think because... idk it's just amazing. and probably won't make you break out

:)

Huh? Ok so I can put Phillips on my face? This is all new to me! Where do I find all this stuf and how do I use it? I love masks :D

All the info is in the link I posted for you, read the topic and you'll see different ways of using it

Well, the Monistat is hard to find (from what I've heard), and I really can't keep ordering stuff online. Bad habit :(.

As for the Smashbox, I just based it on the fact that Sephora's website said it wasn't good for acne-prone skin (I did the "narrow by skin type" thing).

Hard to find? I got it at Wal-mart.

Huh? Ok so I can put Phillips on my face? This is all new to me! Where do I find all this stuf and how do I use it? I love

masks :D

All the info is in the link I posted for you, read the topic and you'll see different ways of using it

Awesome! thanks so much for telling me about his! Im going to find these as soon as I get off work and i'll keep you posted :D

Ok so I bought the Monistat to use as a primer and also the Phillips Magnesium to use as a mask to absorb some of this oil on my face so we'll see hoe it goes!! Im very optimistic :surprised:

Well, the Monistat is hard to find (from what I've heard), and I really can't keep ordering stuff online. Bad habit :( .

And I saw it at both CVS and Target. ;)

What I meant is that I've heard that it is often sold out. Especially where I live. :(

One Wal Mart in 20 miles away, a CVS a couple miles away that seems half-stocked (yet isn't technically closing anytime soon...). Of course I'll look for it! :)