Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello all,

I am a 41 year old who has had mild acne since 15, Rosacea started in my early twenties and has gone from just permanent redness to pimples under the skin.

Had many laser treatments which got rid of some of the visible veins and some permanent redness but never tried any topical creams or gels before.

I was prescribed Metrolgel last week but asked to have it changed to Finacea after reading about it and how they work.

Started it yesterday and have 3 questions I am hoping some of you can answer.

1) I normally wash, shave, moisturise.

Do I apply the Finacea after moisturising or before?

I wondered because I get a tingling sensation for about 30 minutes after applying the Finacea and was worried that if I put moisturiser on 10 minutes after I might lessen the effect of the Finacea.

2) On the box it says "Finacea 15% gel" so I was expecting a clear gel like Retin-A (which I used on my shoulders) but it is more like a white cream. I am always paranoid about creams blocking my pores.

I wondered what the difference was between a gel and a cream?

This is the ingredents on the box.

1g Finacea Gel contains 150mg azelaic acid.

Excipients: lecithin, triglycerides. poly-sorbate 80, propylene glycol, carbomer 980, sodium hydroxide, disodium edetate, benzoic acid, purified water.

3) I am applying this on my cheeks but I have lots of blocked pores and blackheads on my nose, does Finacea help get rid of blackheads?

Finacea is a white gel yes. It may instantly give you a nice "White" tinting effect that looks natural no matter the skin shade. It's beneficial as it's almost like a cover up to instantly hide some imperfections, but at the same time it's doing so much for both acne and rosacea sufferers.

It will not block or clog pores, as it rapidly sheds skin, reducing redness and marks. You're basically getting rid of accumulating skin cells before they're allowed to become blocked into your pores.

You should shave, wash your face and then apply Finacea. Wait 15-20 minutes and apply a nice light moisturizer. You don't need a heavy duty one that'll make your face shine or look oily. Something light and hydrating.

Quite a few people say they experience some tingling or otherwise feelings that are noticeable, but aren't painful or really bothersome. I had some slight feelings of those kinds, but as I and many other people will tell you, they disappear after a few weeks.

Everything should go well for you, and Finacea was originally designed as an Rosacea treatment. It should just happen to help acne tremendously also. Even if i didn't have acne, nor skin problems, I'd still use Finacea to keep my skin healthy, smooth and new looking.

It's a natural acid, with no harmful effects.

That was a really helpful reply, thanks.

I have asked many people over the years why my pores get blocked, it just seems some of us are more susceptible to pores getting blocked while others get away with it.

I did some reading online and found this regarding my question about blackheads.

"Azelaic acid reduces the growth of the keratin surface skin cells that can block pores. This helps to unblock the pores and sebaceous glands (glands which secrete sebum) and as a result the sebum can escape. This reduces the formation of blackheads (comedones) and spots."

I am hopeful that in 3 months times some redness would have gone with a some pimples under the skin and hopefully even some blackheads that have been there on my nose for many years, time will tell.

Do you use Finacea to spot treat? I do have Retin-A too which I used to put on an active spot.

As for moisturiser, I am in the UK and it is difficult to find any mild moisturisers without too many pore clogging ingredients.

I have done a search for Cetaphil but it is not sold in the UK, only the face wash is.

This might sound stupid but for the last couple of years I have been ordering Hyurlonic acid from the USA by post and using just that for my moisturiser.

Hi Blackheads.

I dont really recommend retin-A as a spot treatment. It doesnt really work to get rid of active acne as much as it does prevent future acne.

Can i ask you a few questions if possible?

1. What kind of laser treatments did you get to remove broken capilleries/veins? As I have been diagnosed with Rosacea and wanted to get some laser treatment done.

2. I dont think using Hyaluronic Acid as a moisturizer is silly at all. It is very expensive if your buiying the pure stuff. I was going to buy some to use as moisturizer too. How do you like it? Does it work well?

First of all, Im not an expert on Finacea (i use retin-a micro). This is in regards to your question about whether its ingredients could potentially clog your pores.

The two main acne causing culprits in creams are isopropyl myristate and lanolin. These are suprisingly prevelant in prescription acne treatments (i used a retin-a cream for a few months that i discovered had isopropyl myristate in it). Fortunately, your cream doesnt contain either of those which is a good sign.

You can also look at zerozits.com under articles for information on how comegogenic many ingredients are.

Hi }DC},

You are welcome to ask me questions.

1) I had my first Pulsed Dye Laser test patch (15 zaps) in the early nineties when I was in my early twenties.

The bruises looked so awful and lasted 2 weeks that I never went back for the full face treatment until 2002 when I had V beam which I understand is a milder form of pulsed dye.

But it still left me bruised for 2-3 weeks not the 5 days they said it would.

I had about 6 of these treatments which did get rid of all me visible vein and some permanent redness but no help with the flushing.

I found that if th Dr did a mild treatment that it never helped at all so for me the bruising was necessary.

I was moving home recently and already had my yearly appointment booked so told the Dr please don't bruise me because I am going to be meeting a lot of people over the next few days so he tried the KTP laser on me for the first time.

It was successful in getting rid of two red dot marks that appeared and helped a little bit on my cheeks with the permanent redness that comes back after time and the good thing was it did not bruise me. It left me puffy for a few days and slightly redder but I could carry on with life without anyone knowing I had anything done.

2) I really like the H/A because it is light but when I started to try Retin-A on my cheeks because I was fed up with the pimples under the skin it really dried me out and the HA was not helping.

Now I have stopped the Retin-A and am using Finacea the H/A is working fine again. Thankfully the Finacea does not dry my skin out at all.

So I love the H/A but have read that it is not enough on it's own and some mix it with Emu oil.

I payed for all my treatment privately and this is the first time I have ever tried any topical cream/gel so am really hoping it helps.

Hope that helps a bit.

Fancyxamy, thank-you for the information about pore clogging ingredients and for letting me know the Finacea does not contain the worst culprits, isopropyl myristate or lanolin. The Gel does disappear quickly and so far I am loving it. I just need to give it 2-3 months to see it if actually helps rid me of pimples, blackheads and redness which I really was hoping I would not have to worry about at aged 42.

I remember being told it was a teenage problem and then I would grow out of it after my twenties, lol.

I would be grateful to adam or anyone if they could answer a question please,

Do you use Finacea to spot treat?

Because I have a couple of spots that have come upo where i am applying the Fincea and I do not want to pick them, hoping the finacea will help them heal.

I know If I applied Retin-A to an active spot and then if it did not heal after a few days and I later picked it it would really make a mess of my face taking many layers of skin off and a long time to heal.

I noticed that my face wash that I use (Neutrogena Deep Cleam Oil Free cream cleanser) only in the evenings, contains Menthol.

There really is not much choice here in the Uk for oil free rosacea helpful face washes.

I wonder if I should try to get hold of some Cetaphil face wash that I see alot of you mention?

I have been using Finacea on the right side of my face for 2 weeks now ans received my Metrogel yesterday and am applying that to the left side of my face so I can see which if any help.

I have to say I love the metrogel, it is clear thin and soaks in easily compared to the fiancea gel which is white and sometimes leaves a white residue.

Do you use Finacea or metrogel to spot treat?

I have lots of blocked pores and blackheads on my nose (been there many many years), does Finacea or metrogel help get rid of blackheads?

Hi

You said you're in the UK? Do you get the Retin-A and Finacea from your GP or derm? I'm hoping to get those two products to use am and pm

Thanks