Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well I was bored earlier and I wanted to look up my BMI. I've been trying to loose weight recently.... ive lost 10 lbs so far. I'm 175.. Well according to my BMI Im almost near obese. I'm 5'6'' almost 5'7''.... I want to get back down to 138 [where I used to be before I got sick and gained wgdsjaklgdsjalgjds weight] but I was just messing around with the numbers and such and it says 120 is a healthy weight for me! If I was 120 I think I would look sickly. I just don't understand this I know 175 is high but I don't look it. I have a lot of muscle in my legs.. I can't help I have a thicker built.. also im still really sick [i have a lot of health issues] and this is just making me so upset and obessed with wanting to be thin. Ever since I started working out again I feel better, and such. But what the hell how am I suposed to get down to 120? Thats almost imposible... what also makes me upset is that when I was 138 people were so nice to me [espically guys] people would come up to me and just tell me "oh me gosh you are so beautiful...etc.etc...." It was rediculos I was like WOW I never recieved this kinda treament in my life what the hell is going on? Now that I gained weight its like people won't give me the time of day. I hate this having to be thin to considered healthy and have to be accepted... I'm not fat! but im not skinny either... THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY... :/ I'm scared im going to devlop an eating disorder. help.. :/

You do realise most guys like curvy girls? Guys like booooooooooooobs and the buttocks (otherwise known as ass but i like to say buttocks in a scottish accent like my H.E teacher did at school cos it sounds funny.)

I say just be happy with the way you are. You said it yourself, you're not fat but not skinny either. That's GOOD, you numbchuck. lloll.

By the way, "lloll" = saying "lol" in a cave, so it has a good echo going : laughing...laughing...out..loud...loud.

And also by the way, I am not a guy, so Im just going by what they say. And also, you look very pretty in your little picture, and should Stop. Worrying.

Keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat, so calculating your BMI is kinda bogus. I mean, if you weigh, say, a hundred and fifty pounds and it's mostly muscle, you're gonna be skinnier than if you weighed a hundred and fifty pounds and it was mostly fat. ; )

I mean, I do know where you're coming from, though. I'm five feet, three inches tall, and I used to weigh a hundred and five pounds But over the past year or so, I've gained twenty five pounds. So I'm feeling pretty chunkalicious.

TwistAndShOut has a point, though. My boyfriend tells me all the time that I look way better now that I have some meat on my bones. I mean, he's been with me through all sorts of weight changes. At one point, I was down to ninety eight pounds, and while I thought I looked great, he encouraged me to eat better and stuff. And, you know, looking back, I can see that I was way too skinny then.

I mean, ideally, I'd like to get back down to, oh, a hundred and ten pounds or so, but if I can't, it's not a huge deal. So I'm kind of thick. So what? I'm a great person anyway. I'm nice and pretty and friendly... And gosh darn it, people LIKE me!

So keep your chin up, okay?

I'd rather see a plump girl than a skinny/anorexic one. But it's up to you, good luck

Just because a book or the internet tells you that your ideal weight should be 120, take it worth a grain of salt. It's just a general number and not set in stone. For your height, 120 would be pushing the envelope towards being too thin since you were quite happy being 138. If you were happy with being 138, why not just make that your goal instead of the random 120? Try to strive for the weight that makes YOU happy.

you would look too skinny at 120 are you sure this wasn't the minimum weight someone your height should be? Anyway, if you do try to lose weight I would just lose enough to be healthy and feel comfortable with yourself. If you felt your best when you were 138 then just aim for that, I'm more than positive that's a healthy weight

I think the normal formula for women is 100 pounds for the first 5 feet + 5 pounds for each extra inch. You'd start at around 135 and if you are larger framed, you would add 10% and if you are smaller framed you'd take off 10%. It sounds like you have a larger frame, so 138 would be perfectly reasonable, if not on the thinner side for you.

Do not listen to a "tool" you found on the internet that is for sure. Just keep exercising and eating healthy because you said it makes you feel better. If you felt good at 138 then make that your goal. Do not obsess over your weight in your picture you look like a very pretty girl. Go with the weight that makes you happy!

As mentioned, BMI is not an accurate indicator for a healthy weight, because it doesn't take into account how much of that weight is muscle & how much is fat. It's can be very misleading.

What you could do is figure out your body fat percentage and determine if that is too high, then figure out what you need to lose to make that in the healthy range for a woman your age. I think that is supposed to be more accurate, as it involves a lot more measurements.

In my non-expert opinion, if you eat healthy and exercise and don't have any other health issues, then your body will probably end up at the weight that is best for you. It may not be thin, but not everyone is supposed to be thin.

However, I would like to say that I am about 5'7 and just under 120 lbs, and I am not too skinny or unhealthy either :snooty: . There's not one ideal weight for each height, as there are a lot of factors that make up what would be ideal for an individual's health and appearance.

Like everybody else said, BMI doesn't take muscle mass into account so it doesn't work for everybody. Muscle weighs more than fat, but it's denser so you're naturally not going to look like you weigh as much as you do.

However, I understand not feeling happy with your weight, even if it is technically healthy. It's just fine to want to lose a few pounds or get more toned, as long as you don't go all eating disorder about it.

Even if you aren't overweight, there's nothing wrong with eating right and exercising.

If you want to lose weight, the best way is to cut out refined sugars entirely, find some kind of aerobic exercise that you like, and do it at least three times a week for at least 30 minutes.

That's the healthy way to do it, anyway.

i agree with the others. you shouldn't look at the bmi. YOU should be happy with you, and congratulations on the weight you've already lost! you should just eat healthy, exercise, and listen to your body.

The way you feel is far more important than the numbers provided in your BMI. But since you mentioned it, I'm not sure which measurement you were using because at 5'7'' a normal weight according to a standard BMI is anywhere between roughly 120 and 155.

When you refer to 120lbs as a normal weight.. you are looking at the LOWEST possible weight before you fall into the underweight category.

Thank you so much you guys are awesome... I'm just going to keep exercising and eating healthy ^.^ obessing over this is not worth the risk of my health, you guys made me feel better. :wub:

I'm 5'5, almost 5'6 and weigh 105, but sometimes fluctuate lower. I honestly wish I were a little more voluptuous, I feel like a stick. I can't seem to gain weight since my metabolism is too epic for its own good. Honesty though, I'm jealous of all the girls who look like they have *something* around their bones. 120 would be too flimsy.

I think what weight you should be definitely depends on your body type. Personally i'm tall and 120ish and my bmi is low but I don't look very very skinny or anything it's kind of the way i've always been. I think if you felt amazing at 138 you should stick with that as a goal or like 135 or something like that because anything lower it sounds like your body will get angry at you and the weight will look unnatural and you'll have to starve to reach it which is baaaaaad and not worth developing an eading disorder for!! You could drink lots of green tea, give up soda, bad carbs, and work out 4 times a week or something and i'm sure you'll be feeling gorgeous and healthy. Good luck!!

Exercise and diet are the best ways to lose bad weight (excess fat) and gain healthy weight (muscle +stronger circulat system).

The best exercise for weightloss is at 60% of VO2 max (max aerobic or endurance level). At 60% of your max you burn about 50% fat 50%carbs stored in muscles. Fast exercise ie sprints or lifting weights are anaerobic in nature, burning 100% carbs stored in muscles. Aerobic exercise burns calories at a slower rate, but can be sustained for a much longer time, burning more total calories.

60% of Vo2 max is best for weightloss bc you burn alot of bodyfat and alot of total carbs. At this level you should exercise for 1-1.5hrs. Jogging and playing basketball are examples of 60% level.

If you are serious about losing weight, play some b-ball for an hr each day. The weight will come off if you give it time. Remember it is not recommended to lose more than 2 lbs per week.

Guest kiwikali

i don't think you'd look sickly! i'm the same height and i weigh 115, and believe me i do not look sickly at all. the reason i can stay thin i think is because i'm a vegetarian, but it's probably because of exercise. shape magazine is where i get all my workouts, i <3 that magazine

:):):):)

i don't think you'd look sickly! i'm the same height and i weigh 115, and believe me i do not look sickly at all. the reason i can stay thin i think is because i'm a vegetarian, but it's probably because of exercise. shape magazine is where i get all my workouts, i <3 that magazine

:) :) :) :)

Wow, that's not encouraging at ALL. Did you even read her post?

OP, don't pay attention to that stuff. I hate the BMI stuff, because they lose sight of the fact that everyone is built differently, and healthy weights are different depending on your own body. Some people are naturally more muscular or bigger boned, others are naturally small-boned or lean-muscled. When I was in junior high, I hated myself because my gym teacher and other girls would give me shit for being "underweight," like I was supposed to fix it somehow. I used to eat until my stomach hurt, trying to gain weight, but I never could. That's because I'm healthy at the weight I am, and my body regulates that weight. Now I exercise to put on muscle, but I still can't put on fat to save my life.

You're healthy at 138, because that's how you're built. It's just a number. I've met beautiful women who weighed like 170, and I never would have guessed it. One girl was a volleyball player, and she was just tall, big-boned and muscular - she looked incredible. Focus on how your body looks and how it feels; that's what's important.

Curves..

/drool

If people didn't want curves on females they would go to the morgue.

I think you're perfectly fine. Muscle weights more than fat, so that can be a play on things. I honestly don't think the number matters. People look at you, they can't guess how much you actually weigh. People look at me and they're like, God, what are you? Ninety pounds? Well excuse me for looking thinner than I am. My doctor told me a normal 5'4.5" girl weights 115. During wrestling season, I had to get a physical. I weighed 107.8 lbs and the school doctor told me I was just at the exact weight I was supposed to be at. I stared at her with a :shock: face. Then I injured my knee and stop exercising for a while. My muscle became fat :wall: And now I weigh 109-111. Thing is, I still look about the same. Weight's weird :angel: As long as you're exercising, and don't look like you couldn't fit through a door, I think you're perfectly fine.

lmao @ these remarks about preferring women with "curves"

5'6 and 175 lbs is curvy in the same way a circle is curvy.

but I was just messing around with the numbers and such and it says 120 is a healthy weight for me! If I was But what the hell how am I suposed to get down to 120? Thats almost imposible... what also makes me upset is that when I was 138 people were so nice to me [espically guys] people would come up to me and just tell me "oh me gosh you are so beautiful...etc.etc...." It was rediculos I was like WOW I never recieved this kinda treament in my life what the hell is going on? Now that I gained weight its like people won't give me the time of day. I hate this having to be thin to considered healthy and have to be accepted... I'm not fat! but im not skinny either... THIS DRIVES ME CRAZY... :/ I'm scared im going to devlop an eating disorder. help.. :/

i'm 5'7'' and 120 pounds and it does look "sickly" sometimes haha. if you get to 138 it should be healthy and look better. i wouldn't get down to 120.

are you sure it's them? maybe you're not being as happy as before and people aren't being attracted to sadness.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/...57602199008819/

check out that. it's a gallery of BMI scales and it shows how crazy BMI can be