Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Texan90

Fat loss from laser treatments

Yes it can happen. It is permanent if it does. Options I know are: a) gain weight aka increase your body fat percentage; b) Sculptra, and c) Fat injections using your own fat from your body (for fat injections to work the fat has to processed by special techniques and you need a skillful doctor.)

More info on my background:

I had 1 Fraxel TX at 14-18 mj a year ago. I am of indian descent with brown skin. Around November 07 I began noticing pockmarks and a loss of depth in my skin on the left side of my face (cheek area close to sideburns primarily). After I wake up from sleeping this area tends to look much fuller. I'm assuming that it is due to the blood rushing to my head while lying down for long periods of time. I can tell where the level skin is and the lower level skin is. Strangely the rest of my face has normal depth. Is there a reason why only the left side of my face in that specific patch/area was affected? Also, can anything be done? I have been reading up on needling. I've seen some amazing before and after which showcase 3 stages of improvement. If anything, can needling be good in theory? Is there anything else to get my skin level again? The normal skin also has a consistent look to it, while the lower level area skin is more drab.

Had fat loss in 2004 after a laser treatment, left me with two rolling scars on my forehead that are present till this day. Skin was never the same after in so many different aspects, loss of a healthy shine, tiny pin size needle marks where the laser penetrated, those have improved over the years. I've been trying to warn people against lasers since and it seems now more problems are surfacing due to the increase hype of these procedures. I warn again mates, it is clear there are members on this forum that did several sessions of all different types of lasers and very few have reported significant improvements, even those I tend to doubt not because they're lying but perhaps to a premature evaluation. Aside from those very few, I would say 90 percent regret it or had no improvement. Not only will you achieve minimal results to nothing, but your risking damaging healthy skin permanently, and the risk is not small. If you do want to try laser treatment out of desperation, and I know that feeling, ask to only treat your scarred area, don't touch healthy skin, don't allow any office to sell you a full face package. Don't be scared to ask for two poke marks to be treated or two ice picks, be in charge folks its your skin.

Texan..usually you have two years to file a law suite. Some of these side effects ( like the poke marks you mention) are not even discussed by some Dr's, since they honestly don't know, they usually talk about hypo or hyper and leave it at that. These are all new grounds for most dermatologists and I also don't think some of these companies producing these lasers know all the side effects. There are too many factors that play a roll in healing/scarring, skin types, genetics, thickness in skin fat, oily skin, dry skin, its impossible to test every skin type with every genetics. Then you have the laser side, high setting, low setting, different depth of penetrations, different wave length, too many combinations to mess with.

thx for the response. can anything be done? the part of my face messed up by fraxel looks better in the morning after waking up. i guess cuz the blood rushes to my face.

if it fills in a bit because of that, is it possible that needling or something can fix it?

I'm pretty sure I had fat loss. my skin looks worse then when i started. I've had 5 Fraxel, and one Total FX. I know i've had fat loss, and my skin has lost it elasticity. Another member that I had spoke with said she thought she might have fat loss under her eyes from the fraxel. I wish I didn't do the laser. I've had minimal improvement if any, and my face looks worse. One of the poster's here ( I believe it was Citizen Panda) made a good point. If the laser is targeting the scar tissue, what makes you think it's not hitting the good tissue. It can't tell the diff. I'm thinking a face lift (Dr @ Ann Arbor suggested) and fat injection just to get back to where I begun.

Since I had no active acne for over a year I am starting to believe that the brand new pockmarks that have developed are a result of my previous fraxels.

I noticed the first one after my 4th fraxel and brought it up to my dr. during the next appointment. He immediately got a little defensive and said that it must have been there before and I was just now noticing it.

Ummm....I live with this skin everyday and am aware of every scar, freckle, bump, and pore on my face, thankyouverymuch!

Since then I have noticed several more scars and skin blemishes that I can't even identify. I'm also suffering from broken capillaries in my cheeks and around my nose.

What a wonderful addition, huh?

Now I'm not telling people to not get lasers done, I don't know for sure that the laser did this to me. However, I'm not sure what else could have.

Btw, if I can't improve my new scars, is there any way that I can improve my broken capillaries (without another laser!)

Just adding my two cents .... I also believe i've experiece a minor fat lost after fraxel ... needling had helped a bit .... but after my recent dermabrasion well my face looks fat again, somehow it boost the collagen back again. Though some minor rolling scar i have in fraxel disaappear i now finding ways to diet back because my old problem on having a prominent cheeks came back again haha ....