Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kangin

Advice on really dry/irritated arms

Alright, I'm almost at my 3rd month of accutane and I really do not want to stop now but these arms are killing me at the moment. I've had times where my arms would be EXTREMELY dry and flaky, but after a week of using Vaseline's Intensive Care Cocoa Butter, it would go away. However, this time it didn't do the trick. When my arms started getting dry, I just whip out my daily Vaseline lotion and put it on. But it didn't get any better...it got even worse. The dry skin turned into big red bumpy patches all around my forearms. I'm not sure what to do for them right now because what worked last time, isn't working anymore and it's progressively getting worse and worse each day.

Instead of the cocoa butter, I would use plain Vaseline at night but that didn't work either. My dermatologist appointment is on July 7th but I'm anxious to know what others suggest me to do about these irritated arms.

I've attached some pictures but they aren't very clear, and they don't look as red as they are in person =/. But they are REALLY red, irritated and itchy.

dscf2461xx6.th.jpg

dscf2462sz6.th.jpg

Use a gentle bodywash/soap in the shower and try not to use extremely hot water. Put the lotion/cream on when your arm is damp out of the shower. Not completely dry.

Ah I get that too

Buy cetaphil and put it on right after you take a shower.

You probably live in a dry atmosphere. When I was in Japan, my cousin freaked out over my arms, but then after a week of not putting on cetaphil (I left it in USA), it was normal because Japan is so humid.

Hey.

I found the most AMAZING lotion. go to melaleuca.com, its an all natural company. i put lotion on my entire body about 10 hours ago... and it still feels like i just applied it. its wonderful!! give it a try.

Lily.

im pretty sure i have/ had exactly what u have. i was just at the derm the other day and he told me that basically the accutane... kind of encourages exyma. but i have this perscription stuff that really clears it up. its fluocinolone acetonide ointment USP, .025% im pretty sure... i use that at night for a couple days when it gets irritated and then like the skin flakes off in the shower but after that it looks and feels normal for about a week or two. during that time just use gentle lotion and dont scratch it. ask about that perscription, tell me how it works out for u (fluocinolone acetonide ointment USP, .025%)

Happened to me too, go the drug store and get some cortisone 0.5% lotion, its in a little tube and put it on the area thats marked. But continue putting the daily moisturizing stuff on it too. That should do the trick it's probably just eczema.

thanks a lot for everyone's advice! i really appreciate it.

my arms have gotten even worse because i couldn't resist scratching it anymore(i know haha)..the red patches have gotten even more red and small bumps are forming.

i'm definitely going to bring up that fluocinolone acetonide ointment on monday with my derm and if that doesn't work out, i'll pick up some cortisone 0.5% lotion.

i'll post again on monday!

hey- at the moment i put quite a lot of johnsons babyoil in my bath or use it like a shower gel as i found that gently rubbing it on my skin helped remove the flakes and simultaneously moisturise the skin underneath- then when getting out bath or shower apply more baby oil- for me it works great[ and yes i am on my second month of tane so i have the same symptoms]

also if you have a problem with scratching-[maybe when you are sleeping and unaware] i suggest putting socks on your hands which are made of really soft material as this will def do less damage than our fingernails would...

also for extra moisture i found that applying vaselein in a thick layer on my hands and feet and then wearing socks on my hands and feet it was like an intensive moisturiser!!!

anyway all the best- also if you have scratchy nails maybe the best thing to do is cut them to help prevent accidental scratching- also of course going in the sun dries out your skin so try to avoid this and moisturise intensively afterwards [ as well as wearing a sunblock when your outside!!!]

all the best !!!

x

okay, so i went to see my dermatologist today and it was the same usual stuff being asked. i told her i had a really bad side effect from accutane and proceeded to show her my arms and legs(which had REALLY red/purple patches as well as small red bumps everywhere), she concluded that i had eczema..not surprising after i made this thread haha.

so i was prescribed ectosone 0.1% cream to put on all my rashes and those bumps. after my first application, it definitely reduced a lot of the itchiness which is great for the first application!

thanks for everyones input, i really do appreciate it.