Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kazangwa

Prepare Yourself

I have acne. Like a lot of other people on this forum, probably at least 90%.

But I have a question. Why is it that acne was shunned in the 70's? Why is it that our parents never seemed to have acne (at least the majority). It was because they were doing something then, or perhaps not doing something that naturally kept their skin clean. Anyone who had acne, had it bad back then, and <i>that</i> was because of genetics. Period. It was shunned because, as my friend said, it simply meant you were extremely unlucky. It was very uncommon.

And what is different? My dad said when he was a kid they never did anything special like apply creams, or take antibiotics. They just ate, spent time outside, and exercised.

I've tried to break it down.

-Microwaveable foods are a new thing in our era, as are more advanced electronics that encourage sedentary lifestyles.

I'm only 16, but I seriously think that when hippies say we should go back to the 70's, they aren't just talking out of their pot-smoking asses.

So if Dan is trying to eliminate acne within a generation, why does it seem like progress is being reversed in skin care?

Feel free to share thoughts.

Daniel

Usually i try to stay out of threads like these, especially since its out of the Holistic forums and im a firm believer that diet affects acne, but ill bite.

Your first point pretty much nails it. Poor western diet + lack of exercise. The reason i say western is because we eat so much junkfood now-a-days due to fast food restaurants, etc and we do so on a daily basis.

I think acne is one of the symptoms telling us that our body is out of balance. Thats my theory though.

As for the progress of skin care products being reversed, i think the answer is pretty obvious and thats money. There is alot of money to be made on desperate people. Have you ever watched a commercial, then saw a few testimonials of some people showing before/after pictures then you suddenly had the urge to buy and try the product? Ill admit, i'm guilty of this too. Thats not to say all products are bad, everyone is different so it may not work for you but it can for the person next to you. But yeh, i think you just have to be careful on what you put on your face.

My 2 cents.

Your signature and response is music to my ears (maybe eyes).

I think everyone should sell all of their home entertainments systems, tv's etc, and get out in the real world.

I think everyone would be less judgmental and shallow if they weren't marinated with tv and video games. And yes I am totally guilty of the whole commercial-testimonial, etc. Just because products work on someone doesn't mean they'll work on others. That's why some have allergies, and others don't.

American lifestyle disgusts me.

Exactly. I remember my dad saying they never had 'acne,' they got 'pimples.' And those who had it bad got it because of genetics.

I think it really has to do with exercise, diet, and the way you wash your face. Marketing has taken care of creating product lines of 'miracle cures' for acne. The only problem is, they don't work.

Hmmm, very interesting...

Now that I think about it, my parents had similar experiences. My dad was extremely active. He played football, ran track, swam on the school swim team, and played street hockey until the streetlights came on. The only thing he ever put on his face was Noxzema Cleansing Cream. Period. His face was flawless, to say the least.

My mum, on the other hand, was completely inactive. She had a high metabolism and believed that she never needed to work out. She could eat anything she wanted and never gained an ounce. (I happened to inherit that gene from her.) And guess what? Her face was literally covered in acne. The only other person in her family with severe acne was her sister...who pigged out just as much as she did.

Obviously many cases of acne are caused by genetics, but I'm beginning to wonder if diet and exercise have more to do with acne than we think. Since it's summer, I'm sitting on my bum and grubbing more than I usually do. And what do you know, I'm breaking out WAY more than I usually do.

Interesting food for thought.

Doesn't make sense

I spy acne scarring from at least 25% of my relatives

I don't mean to be racist in the least, but I have seen previous generation acne scarring, but mostly from Filipino descent. Are your relatives from the Philippines?

Both of my parents, who are both 70 this year, had acne when they were younger and my mom still has rosacea. Neither of them were born or raised in this country. And I don't know if I buy that Americans were any healthier in the 1970's than now. We were eating and using plenty a lot of crap that we didn't know was bad for us back then. Do you have any hard evidence that Americans are eating worse and.or are less active now than they were 30+ years ago?

Well, it isn't hard to look up that kind of information online. I really doubt they had the staggering variety of insta-foods and sugar/preservative laden crap that we're blessed with today. I'm not saying they were amazingly healthy in their food choices, but I don't doubt they had fewer choices when it came to junk food.

It's both genetics and lifestyle, and just lifestyle if you take very bad care of yourself. Both my parents had acne, so I did expect to get it, but outgrew it in their late teens or early twenties. Neither were born and raised in the US, either. I might be going out on a limb here, but my persistent acne/recent severe flareups could easily be attribute to my lifestyle. I've got a decent metabolism and can eat what I please, so I do... not always the healthiest stuff, either. And I exercise rarely.

Result? You tell me.

I don't think it is that easy to find reliable statistics on the prevalence of acne in the US between the 1970's and now. I'm sure if you did some serious digging and had access to some decent online peer-reviewed publications, you'll come up with something. In any case, I don't doubt that lifestyle can make contributions to acne, but for all you know, it could also be environmental factors and toxins as well as genetics and individual physiology. For instance, I live in an area where more people seem to have acne than in other cities I've been in. I have wondered if there is something in the environment around here that makes people break out more.

As for the original post, I guess I just don't buy that people were eating healthier in the 70's, at least not where I grew up. Nutritional information and content wasn't available or printed on food until what? The late 80's early 90's? People didn't have half the information and resources available to them about making healthy diet choices then as they do now. Most people ate Wonder bread. Meat and potatoes, whole milk and eggs were consumed on a fairly regular basis. Salad used to mean iceburg lettuce with tons of heavy dressing on it, maybe a couple of cukes and tomatoes. People overcooked their veggies and didn't realize that doing so leaches the important nutrients from them. If agri-business farming practices scare you today, think about some of the dangerous pesticides they used to use on food that have been since banned. I could go on and on, but you get my drift. Bottom line is that acne is a condition that can have multiple causes including environmental, lifestyle, hormonal, allergy-related, genetics, etc. Oh, and maybe people with bad acne in the 70's just didn't leave their homes because there were fewer treatment options and people back then were even less accepting of those different from them than they are now. Who knows?

Well, it isn't hard to look up that kind of information online. I really doubt they had the staggering variety of insta-foods and sugar/preservative laden crap that we're blessed with today. I'm not saying they were amazingly healthy in their food choices, but I don't doubt they had fewer choices when it came to junk food.

It's both genetics and lifestyle, and just lifestyle if you take very bad care of yourself. Both my parents had acne, so I did expect to get it, but outgrew it in their late teens or early twenties. Neither were born and raised in the US, either. I might be going out on a limb here, but my persistent acne/recent severe flareups could easily be attribute to my lifestyle. I've got a decent metabolism and can eat what I please, so I do... not always the healthiest stuff, either. And I exercise rarely.

Result? You tell me.

I don't think it is that easy to find reliable statistics on the prevalence of acne in the US between the 1970's and now. I'm sure if you did some serious digging and had access to some decent online peer-reviewed publications, you'll come up with something. In any case, I don't doubt that lifestyle can make contributions to acne, but for all you know, it could also be environmental factors and toxins as well as genetics and individual physiology. For instance, I live in an area where more people seem to have acne than in other cities I've been in. I have wondered if there is something in the environment around here that makes people break out more.

As for the original post, I guess I just don't buy that people were eating healthier in the 70's, at least not where I grew up. Nutritional information and content wasn't available or printed on food until what? The late 80's early 90's? People didn't have half the information and resources available to them about making healthy diet choices then as they do now. Most people ate Wonder bread. Meat and potatoes, whole milk and eggs were consumed on a fairly regular basis. Salad used to mean iceburg lettuce with tons of heavy dressing on it, maybe a couple of cukes and tomatoes. People overcooked their veggies and didn't realize that doing so leaches the important nutrients from them. If agri-business farming practices scare you today, think about some of the dangerous pesticides they used to use on food that have been since banned. I could go on and on, but you get my drift. Bottom line is that acne is a condition that can have multiple causes including environmental, lifestyle, hormonal, allergy-related, genetics, etc. Oh, and maybe people with bad acne in the 70's just didn't leave their homes because there were fewer treatment options and people back then were even less accepting of those different from them than they are now. Who knows?

I never said that diet or exercise was the cause of acne. I'm trying to determine the main difference between then and now.

Think about it. I know this is reaching, but look at the film industry. Makeup techniques were nowhere near what they are today, and there wasn't as much computer editing available. Yet I still have not seen a movie from the 70s where actors, even young ones, had acne.

But riddle me this. How come barely any football stars or jocks have bad skin? It's because of two things: they haven't poisoned their skin with creams, because of two reasons:

First of all, sweat opens your oil glands and clears all of the bad stuff out. After practice, jocks take showers, and that washes all of the away. And second, because exercise relieves stress, they don't worry when they get one pimple. The way my acne started was me worrying about a couple pimples and thinking I needed harsh creams from the dermatologist. Those proceeded to dry out my skin and put it in worse shape.

So what does this have to do with the 70s? All of my friends parents, or at least most of them say that when they were kids they always played sports outside. That's what they would do for fun. The difference now is, because kids have discovered the easy lifestyle of eating quick meals, being impatient and lazy, and not wanting to go outside, they don't end up getting enough time outside. I don't know why going outside is good for you, I really don't. I just know that fresh air from outside is much cleaner than recycled indoor carbon dioxide, and playing out in the sun not only helps you sweat out harmful toxins, but also helps you produce vitamin D. It's a win-win situation so why not?

American lifestyle has changed. Ever since electronics have developed everyone just wants to sit around and play video games, or watch TV.

But even so, I'll bet you're thinking, "How come fat people don't have acne?" Well, the answer is, some do, but those who don't, either sweat a lot, which makes sense because more body fat results in a higher body temperature. Also, if they are lazy enough to just eat and sit around, they might be too lazy to wash their face, which in my opinion, isn't that bad of a thing.

The bottom line is, acne products are foreign to our face. God did not create these. Even if you're not a religious person, everyone knows that humans were created somewhere and evolved, developed new technologies, etc. I wasn't alive when cavemen were around, but if they hadn't developed an audible language and had to discover fire for themselves, I don't think it's far fetched to say they didn't wash their face with benzoyl peroxide.

Please, share thoughts.

Bottom line is that acne is a condition that can have multiple causes including environmental, lifestyle, hormonal, allergy-related, genetics, etc.

Yup i agree. Everyone is different and when the body is out of balance, acne isnt the only symptom.

For example, Kazangwa mentions that fat people dont have acne, and yeh, they probably dont but they have many other health issues that you cant see. Just because someone doesnt have a problem that you can see doesn't mean they are perfectly healthy.

Both of you are make good points and are correct. Acne is the product of a combination of many things happening at once. Like the list Kriszti made + Kazangwa's point about using unnecessary products on your face (i stress the word unnecessary here because some products are actually good).

My 2 cents.

Yeah. I think some products are perfectly fine; but others are just blatant market scams to make money. It just sucks that we have to be the butt end of it sometimes.

I must say my parents know absolutely NOTHING about acne, they must have never had it in their life.

Want to know what my mom bought me for washing my face? The strongest disinfecting hand soap they sell in grocery stores. This stuff is too rough for my hands and I have really tough skin!

It's funny. Sometimes when I used to spend the night at my friends house (this guy's skin is flawless), he always says he never even washes his face.

Result? You tell me.

I never said that diet or exercise was the cause of acne. I'm trying to determine the main difference between then and now.

Think about it. I know this is reaching, but look at the film industry. Makeup techniques were nowhere near what they are today, and there wasn't as much computer editing available. Yet I still have not seen a movie from the 70s where actors, even young ones, had acne.

But riddle me this. How come barely any football stars or jocks have bad skin? It's because of two things: they haven't poisoned their skin with creams, because of two reasons:

First of all, sweat opens your oil glands and clears all of the bad stuff out. After practice, jocks take showers, and that washes all of the away. And second, because exercise relieves stress, they don't worry when they get one pimple. The way my acne started was me worrying about a couple pimples and thinking I needed harsh creams from the dermatologist. Those proceeded to dry out my skin and put it in worse shape.

So what does this have to do with the 70s? All of my friends parents, or at least most of them say that when they were kids they always played sports outside. That's what they would do for fun. The difference now is, because kids have discovered the easy lifestyle of eating quick meals, being impatient and lazy, and not wanting to go outside, they don't end up getting enough time outside. I don't know why going outside is good for you, I really don't. I just know that fresh air from outside is much cleaner than recycled indoor carbon dioxide, and playing out in the sun not only helps you sweat out harmful toxins, but also helps you produce vitamin D. It's a win-win situation so why not?

American lifestyle has changed. Ever since electronics have developed everyone just wants to sit around and play video games, or watch TV.

But even so, I'll bet you're thinking, "How come fat people don't have acne?" Well, the answer is, some do, but those who don't, either sweat a lot, which makes sense because more body fat results in a higher body temperature. Also, if they are lazy enough to just eat and sit around, they might be too lazy to wash their face, which in my opinion, isn't that bad of a thing.

The bottom line is, acne products are foreign to our face. God did not create these. Even if you're not a religious person, everyone knows that humans were created somewhere and evolved, developed new technologies, etc. I wasn't alive when cavemen were around, but if they hadn't developed an audible language and had to discover fire for themselves, I don't think it's far fetched to say they didn't wash their face with benzoyl peroxide.

Please, share thoughts.

I don't think that people with bad acne got a whole lot of roles on film "back in the day," and those who did- two words=> pancake make-up. That shit will cover anything.

As for athletes not having acne, uh, I don't think you can say all athletes don't have acne. I've seen plenty of them with it.

I don't disagree with your point on some of the products we use as being bad for our skin and what not, but I'm not still not buying into your broad generalizations. We clearly have very different data points, so maybe we need to agree to disagree on those points. ;)

Doesn't make sense

I spy acne scarring from at least 25% of my relatives

Exactly. Kids, I grew up in the seventies and I can most assuredly state that there was as much acne then as there is now. Not only did I grow up in the 70's, I also lived in Germany. Yep, just as much acne then and in another country as there is now and in this country.

I almost think that not touching it completely, not washing it etc. will allow your skin to naturally adapt and fix itself.

Guest kiwikali

i think maybe all the shitty junk food we have nowadays has an effect in a way...

i mean back when people lived very simple lives, no cars, no malls, you know like 1500 or whatever, there was no acne! or at least i think so. anyways, i think it must have something to do with all this new food and alcohol and lifestyles that people have. :boohoo:

i think maybe all the shitty junk food we have nowadays has an effect in a way...

i mean back when people lived very simple lives, no cars, no malls, you know like 1500 or whatever, there was no acne! or at least i think so. anyways, i think it must have something to do with all this new food and alcohol and lifestyles that people have. :boohoo:

I feel pretty certain that there was acne in the 1500's. Actually, this thread may interest some of you:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/History-o...ne-t197622.html

My dad had nasty acne in the late 60s and 70s. He still talks about it and how much it sucked. If he starts developing any signs of acne now (at 58), he freaks. He has a lot of scarring, too. :( He was a jock and even lived in the country part of that time, so he exercised and was outside a lot.

I don't mean to be racist in the least, but I have seen previous generation acne scarring, but mostly from Filipino descent. Are your relatives from the Philippines?

Yes in fact. I think it has something to do with the tropical weather too, and the fact that I'm of chinese and probably have genes not suited to the weather in Phils

Yes in fact. I think it has something to do with the tropical weather too, and the fact that I'm of chinese and probably have genes not suited to the weather in Phils

I've noticed a lot of people who migrated from the Philippines have scarring.

So to clear this up (no pun intended), acne was, in fact, a mutation?

Because if that is true, then foods we eat can't really start breakouts, or even cause it, it's only possible that it can worsen it.

I'll take this farther back than the 70's. Ever notice that there is no mention of acne back in ancient roman times or any other period?

I have read that in modern day secluded tribes there is literary no cases of acne. Keep in mind these people still live off the land and don't even use electricity.

So yes acne does have a link with somthing we do today we just don't know exactly what yet. Who knows your t.v. or computer monitor could be emmiting somthing our skin does not like, or it could be pesticides in foods, and maybe its microwaves. We just don't know what we do now that makes our skin shitty.

I'll take this farther back than the 70's. Ever notice that there is no mention of acne back in ancient roman times or any other period?

I have read that in modern day secluded tribes there is literary no cases of acne. Keep in mind these people still live off the land and don't even use electricity.

So yes acne does have a link with somthing we do today we just don't know exactly what yet. Who knows your t.v. or computer monitor could be emmiting somthing our skin does not like, or it could be pesticides in foods, and maybe its microwaves. We just don't know what we do now that makes our skin shitty.

Acne "spots" have supposedly been documented in ancient Greek and Egyptian times.

While there may something to say about diets and our lifestyles, how I look at it is people who lived simpler lives also lived short lives. I'm sure they enjoyed their acne free existence for their 50 years, or however long many people back then were expected to live.

Theres always these examples I can think of which question our common beliefs towards ance

-- Irritation. It's believed to be a factor which acne, yet what about boxers? Shouldn't they all have acne considering the potential blows taken to the face? It's funny sometimes listening to people talk about touching their face wrong and how it causes a zit, yet young boxers can get pummeled and not experience anything? And if your answer is, "their diet," it leads me into my next concern...

--Overweight Americans. Thanks to our nations inability to resist super sizing everything, there are more than enough examples of overweight people. At school, I even took notice and would say of the 50 I could see without drawing attention to myself, about five had acne -- none severe and none with acne scars. Oh, but hearing people talk about diet and acne you'd assume it'd be much higher.

In another thread where I mentioned this someone brought up a theory that maybe all the foods consumed fill all vitamin requirements. I don't know about that. It sounds like a good excuse to explain it, though.

-- Overwashing. It relates to irritation, but I thought it should be separated for emphasis. Only two times a day we're told, but what about those who swim in a pool? Or in a ocean? Yes, there are chemicals in pools which may affect acne and the ocean has salt, but shouldn't it eventually irritate the skin being exposed for so long?

I guess the point I'm trying to establish here is there's not one factor with acne. It just seems funny, if I'm to believe everything I came across, that I'm supposed to follow this strict regimen of washing/not touching/eating yet all around me are people who flaunt it carelessly and have flawless skin. I don't buy it.

Even the idea of hormones. If it's a matter of being affected by hormones (which may be influenced by food), why aren't those who are overweight experiencing a higher rate of acne?

And I don't mean to suggest HEY, let's all do everything we want and see what happens. My advice would be to atleast try and determine which area of your life may be influencing acne so you're not purposely avoiding certain things (such as food) when it's not really doing anything negative.

I've believed for some time my problem is irritation. For years I've been washing with chemicals -- BP, SA, cleansers, and it has worn down my acid mantle. I wouldn't be surprised if others have experienced this as well. For just a week and half I've been washing with water and my skin has dramatically improved in oiliness and skin tone.