Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
J-Dog

Gluten-Free Acne-Free and more!

Psst...Practically anything you want you can get gluten free (and dairy-free/vegan) and it may even taste better than the "real" thing!

Or it may taste worse, and be more expensive. But like I said, if I do find out I'm allergic I'll manage without it. But I don't know and I don't want to go without gluten for 4-6 months to find out I'm not allergic.

Things that taste similar or better Gluten Free, Dairy Free:

Pretzels

Pasta (Rice, Buckwheat versions)

Still Riding Pizza Crust

Vegan Gourmet Cheese

Tortillas (Corn, brown rice)

Cornbread

Muffins - Apple Cinnamon, Blueberry, etc (using mixes, GF Flours, Buckwheat etc)

Pancakes, Waffles

Quinoa Flakes (replaces Cream of Wheat)

Arrowhead Mills Puffed Rice or Corn (all other cereals are yummy, but they have added sugars)

Kinnikinnick Cake Donuts, Cookies, Brownies etc (other brands also good, but homemade is best for me due to added sugars)

Shelton or Applegate Farms Meats (deli meats, hotdogs)

etc.

Of course, there are foods that don't even taste similar...but just different. Those may take time to adjust to (i.e. Milk alternatives, crackers) or you may never adjust to it (hard to find good GF DairyFree bread, but I hear they exist in some GF restaurants). Yet there are options available for when the need arises, and in general, it's always more cost effective to do it from scratch or a mix.

Well i need weight...is it ok to eat junks sometim? like in the weekend.. like pizza , mcdonnald..

Yeah, you can make your own GF Pizzas. You can visit MCDonalds website to see if there's any gluten free foods available to eat as well (there's a few options). You can have Taco Bell or other more authentic Mexican Foods, Asian, Indian, Vietnamese (rice noodles) etc. Remember, there are other grain options and other cultures use rice, corn, bean, sweet potato as their staples instead of wheat. You can get the Baked/Roasted Chicken from Costco (not from Walmart or Albertsons), or try from some other local chicken restaraunts (I do enjoy flavored chicken wings). Provided you don't consume something that breaks you out or that severely does so, you can enjoy eating out w/o worries.

What I mean from the above is this:

• Sucrose/table sugar gives me tiny pimples if I consume beyond 2g/serving.

• Fructose/Honey/Corn Syrup gives me cystic nodular acne.

Therefore...if I want something and I know it contains a sweetener I look at what it is and what the Clear Skin Cost will be. If it's sucrose and within the right range, I might go for it. Yet ANY food that contains a Fructose Based Sweetener, I knowingly avoid 100% of the time. The

Clear Skin Cost is too high to overcome (will take weeks/months for the breakout/mark to heal).

When eating out, If I consume something and it tastes sweet, I usually cease consumption. If it tastes like it's honey, I definately will. Just depends on my mood. Sometimes the sweetener may be table sugar and sometimes it's just the natural sweetness of a meat or vegetable medly. If in doubt, and it's what I usually do before ordering, ask the server/chef if it has sweetener, if it's cooked with Wortchiresauce or some sauce that has a sweetener, etc.

Thus...I rarely eat at barbeque places (I can eat Rudy's, no sauce) anymore because the Liquid Smoke, or Sauces usually have a Fructose Based sweetener. More authentic establishments will cook meat so wonderfully that it's good w/o sauce and/or don't use liquid smoke.

Ultimately, even when you can't taste it, or you don't react immediately to it (i.e. clearing of throat reaction after consuming dairy product) your skin will still respond if you consume something you are sensitive to. Once I learn what foods are safe and what foods aren't from a restaurant, I order accordingly from then on. No guilt. No paranoia. You can do the same!

For more ideas, I bumped into some Shareware cookbooks. Vegan, Mostly GF, and less than 15% fat so that should appeal to quite a few members!

http://www.vitalita.com/cookbooks.html

Of course, there's also plenty of amazing bloggers out there with recipes and reviews to share. Anything you want, you can probably buy or make GF. :cool:

Well i need weight...is it ok to eat junks sometim? like in the weekend.. like pizza , mcdonnald..

Yeah, you can make your own GF Pizzas. You can visit MCDonalds website to see if there's any gluten free foods available to eat as well (there's a few options). You can have Taco Bell or other more authentic Mexican Foods, Asian, Indian, Vietnamese (rice noodles) etc. Remember, there are other grain options and other cultures use rice, corn, bean, sweet potato as their staples instead of wheat. You can get the Baked/Roasted Chicken from Costco (not from Walmart or Albertsons), or try from some other local chicken restaraunts (I do enjoy flavored chicken wings). Provided you don't consume something that breaks you out or that severely does so, you can enjoy eating out w/o worries.

What I mean from the above is this:

• Sucrose/table sugar gives me tiny pimples if I consume beyond 2g/serving.

• Fructose/Honey/Corn Syrup gives me cystic nodular acne.

Therefore...if I want something and I know it contains a sweetener I look at what it is and what the Clear Skin Cost will be. If it's sucrose and within the right range, I might go for it. Yet ANY food that contains a Fructose Based Sweetener, I knowingly avoid 100% of the time. The

Clear Skin Cost is too high to overcome (will take weeks/months for the breakout/mark to heal).

When eating out, If I consume something and it tastes sweet, I usually cease consumption. If it tastes like it's honey, I definately will. Just depends on my mood. Sometimes the sweetener may be table sugar and sometimes it's just the natural sweetness of a meat or vegetable medly. If in doubt, and it's what I usually do before ordering, ask the server/chef if it has sweetener, if it's cooked with Wortchiresauce or some sauce that has a sweetener, etc.

Thus...I rarely eat at barbeque places (I can eat Rudy's, no sauce) anymore because the Liquid Smoke, or Sauces usually have a Fructose Based sweetener. More authentic establishments will cook meat so wonderfully that it's good w/o sauce and/or don't use liquid smoke.

Ultimately, even when you can't taste it, or you don't react immediately to it (i.e. clearing of throat reaction after consuming dairy product) your skin will still respond if you consume something you are sensitive to. Once I learn what foods are safe and what foods aren't from a restaurant, I order accordingly from then on. No guilt. No paranoia. You can do the same!

For more ideas, I bumped into some Shareware cookbooks. Vegan, Mostly GF, and less than 15% fat so that should appeal to quite a few members!

http://www.vitalita.com/cookbooks.html

Of course, there's also plenty of amazing bloggers out there with recipes and reviews to share. Anything you want, you can probably buy or make GF. :cool:

Thx cause i am getting way to skinny , all i eat is 3 apples a day , Green grapes and banana sometime , Boneless chicken Breast.. ( Lean pork sometime.. ) , nuts.

this is not enough.. i need to eat more.. gonna buy Unsweetened Almond soymilk and Gluten free cereal.. and add almond nut since the milk has no fiber or protein at all.. >_>

Prolly Cryspy brown rice.. ,

I see Brown rice syrup which is made of barley or w.e as this guy say??

but it says Gluten free. >_>

Btw i am not sure if i am Allergic to gluten.. i guess not

Even if i eat healthy i still get acne.. , i remember eating to much junks... icecream , chocolate , white bread , Ritz... etc and i didnt get worse.. just a 2-3 acne as always..

I still get that.. 1-3 acne >_< then red spot stays.. >_< hate it

Thx cause i am getting way to skinny , all i eat is 3 apples a day , Green grapes and banana sometime , Boneless chicken Breast.. ( Lean pork sometime.. ) , nuts.

this is not enough.. i need to eat more.. gonna buy Unsweetened Almond soymilk and Gluten free cereal.. and add almond nut since the milk has no fiber or protein at all.. >_>

Even if i eat healthy i still get acne.. , i remember eating to much junks... icecream , chocolate , white bread , Ritz... etc and i didnt get worse.. just a 2-3 acne as always..

Well first off, remember that eating "Healthy" is not the same as eating appropriately for your body or metabolic type and sensitivity level. Two different things.

What else are you eating other than Chicken, some pork, bananas, grapes and apples and nuts?

Did you see ANY changes when you started eating the above diet?

Well first off, remember that eating "Healthy" is not the same as eating appropriately for your body or metabolic type and sensitivity level. Two different things.

What else are you eating other than Chicken, some pork, bananas, grapes and apples and nuts?

Did you see ANY changes when you started eating the above diet?

hm lets see what else.. white rice of course.. with veggies in it , the rice turns orange.

Salads with canned Salmon or tuna.. oh and organic brown eggs

btw th0se fruits i eat are organic :) , and also i eat Avocado sometime

almond butter with apple , brazil nut , plenty of water

thats all i eat , hehe

btw i take Fish oil from Spectrum they good :)

If you are going to try a gluten-free diet, though, you really need to do the research. A lot of foods and personal items have gluten in them. The "natural flavor" in Godiva chocolate, for example, is gluten. I found out the hard way after fully digesting a piece of this chocolate after not having had gluten for about 2 weeks: I experienced electric shock-like feelings in my stomach, the beginnings of a major asthma attack, and a massive headache with electric-shock like feelings also. I have never experienced that in my life. If you are gluten-sensitive AND you accidentally eat gluten after not having had it, your body reacts very strongly. My personal experience is an example but there is also info about this issue online. Oh, and I havent had an asthma or other attack since.

I noticed this too--how going back to gluten after avoiding it causes a STRONGER reaction. After avoiding gluten for several months, I had sourdough bread thinking that it had been fermented for 24 hours--you know about all the research that fermenting makes it safer for celiacs. My stomach went crazy--it sounded like the ocean. I never remember stomach reactions like this since avoiding gluten. I just see remarkable differences in my eczema, which may be dermatitis herpetiformis, and my acne when I avoid gluten. My joint pain also went away. That's interesting that you can eat oats, because I ate the steel-cut kind and my stomach was worse than with wheat. I don't like rice at all--it's just too acidic and I am allergic to it for some reason. I seem to have some unique problem where I have to soak every gluten-free grain just to avoid sneezing after eating it. I don't think it's the pesticides. It's probably those anti-nutrients. I developed some pretty serious adult food allergies that I think were caused by my stomach being in a silent-inflammatory state. Has anyone seen a reduction in food allergies after going gluten-free for several years?

Is dairy gluten???

Nope. But some dairy products, like ice cream, use gluten as a thickening, binding, or flavoring agent.

Check the ingredients or, better yet, GOOGLE the product: Breyers + gluten. You will find that Breyers is generally gluten free, but a few products might contain gluten.

~J-Dog

Is regular red potatoes gluten?

not the fries, orr chips...just plain ole potatoes?

Thanks!

No, gluten is only found in grains.

So if it's fresh, raw fruits or vegetables they are in the clear.

As for the grains, most of the time the only gluten that is problematic is from Wheat, Barley, Rye and their cousins & derivatives (which is listed on the link I posted earlier).

:angel:

I am glad, because I am soo adiing them back in my diet..not too much, however I never really noticed a coalition with potatoes ,and acne..

I just stopped them, becaus every one said they are bad for people., with acne

I am glad, because I am soo adiing them back in my diet..not too much, however I never really noticed a coalition with potatoes ,and acne..

I just stopped them, becaus every one said they are bad for people., with acne

I eat them everyday practically. When I crave salt, potatoes (fried, mashed, baked and even chips) are my choice. Of course, we are all different, but I can eat potatoes.

Do you keep a journal? If not, you may want to do so, and take note of what you are eating, taking (supps, cleanse) and what changes you note as a result. It will be easier to pinpoint things a bit if you can go back and review things.

You know what, at the beggining of the year I did,.

But as soon as march hit, my face totally cleared, and I stopped recording, plus became busy..

I think I will start again..

But I am most certain potatoes dont brek me out..plus they are really filling to me..and most definiately curves any sugar cravings I might have..

I will start my logging of foods tommorow!!

I am thinking about cutting meat from my diet, for all kinds of reasons (health, ethical, environmental, spiritual). I was a vegetarian in college, but had trouble keeping it up afterwards. Now that I am noticing specific (and very positive) changes in my skin while on a gluten-free diet, I am wondering how meat impacts skin. I havent done any research yet, so I figured I would start by asking questions here:

1. Is a gluten-free (and almost dairy free) diet enough to keep my skin clear for the long haul?

2. Exactly why is a vegetarian good for the skin?

3. What kind of impact would a gluten-free (almost dairy-free) AND vegetarian diet have on my skin? And the rest of my body?

Thanks,

J-Dog

i really hope i'm not gluten sensitive but even if i'm not i am interested in trying this because i've changed my diet for 5 months now and still break out so i'm thinking it is the wheat. i always had a gut feeling the wheat bread i was eating could be a cause therefore i stopped that a couple months ago but then i look over things and i see wheat, gluten, etc hidden and that's not good.

what i hate the most is that gluten free things cost a lot more and a super small selection in my grocery store.

i really hope i'm not gluten sensitive but even if i'm not i am interested in trying this because i've changed my diet for 5 months now and still break out so i'm thinking it is the wheat. i always had a gut feeling the wheat bread i was eating could be a cause therefore i stopped that a couple months ago but then i look over things and i see wheat, gluten, etc hidden and that's not good.

what i hate the most is that gluten free things cost a lot more and a super small selection in my grocery store.

no...they cost the same as organic stuff

I shop in whole food and the prices are OK to me

like I buy a pack of gluten free oatmeal from there...it costs $3 n last 2 weeks

just choose what u buy...I only buy the basics and make stuff by myself

never buy those gluten free cookies....not worth the price :naughty:

just bought Unsweetened soymilk and Cryspy brown rice cereal %100 whole grain , gluten free

both has no sugars added , and are gluten free. they organic

wont eat to much of this. , prolly sometime in the weekend

so soy decrease Inflammation or w.e? ^^

i really don't think i am sensitive to gluten but beacuse of candida i'm sure this has caused me to react being that the carbs breakdown into sugar and feed the overgrowth.

hopefully when i get rid of my candida and regulate the yeast overgrowth i can go back to consuming oats.

Hey everyone, I was really interested to read this thread because I've just discovered the link between my acne and gluten.

And now for a story :)

Since I was in my third year of university (5 years ago) I've suffered with cystic acne. It was triggered by an extremely stressful event. Thinking that it was stress related, I went to my family doctor who put me on Minocin... and had an allergic reaction (hives everywhere). Then I tried biaxin (an anti bacterial med) and it worked! But the acne never really went away... it was always lurking. I could never figure out what was going on... I'd had 98% clear skin in high school!

About three years ago, my mom experienced a stressful event and it triggered severe indigestion and stomach pains. After A LOT of research, she discovered (through process of elimination) that she had a gluten intolerance.

Around the same time my mom discovered her gluten intolerance, my morning cereal was giving me severe pain. As I sat at the side of the road in my car, half way to work but unable to drive because of the pain, I realized that it was the milk giving me problems. I haven't had dairy in almost 4 years.

Some interesting things about gluten intolerance (according to our doctor): it often coexists with lactose intolerance, its hereditary, and its often triggered by a stressful event.

Since I was already lactose intolerant, I decided to be vigilant about gluten as well, eating virtually gluten free at home, and eating what I wanted when I was out. This worked... for awhile.

It was 6 weeks ago that I realized I was experiencing the symptoms of gluten intolerance. I'm a grad student and between April and June of this year I got lazy with my gluten free eating. What can I say, I was stressed and I love a good chocolate chip cookie :) Anyway, 6 weeks ago I was home for the weekend and being extremely careless about my diet. I noticed that after every meal I experienced nauseousness and indigestion and a general feeling of bloating. By the end of the weekend I was fearing the worst... but the worst was yet to come.

Monday morning I woke up to 6 of the largest cystic acne spots I've ever had, clustered together on my chin. They were huge, painful and horrid looking.

What was I to do? To the internet! After a morning of research that all pointed to derms and accutane, I was on the verge of making a doctor's appointment when I came across a site that mentioned 'wheat and acne'. If I'd been a cartoon character, a light bulb would have gone off over my head - it WAS the gluten! I had the other symptoms! After some more reading, I cut off my gluten cold turkey.

How's my acne? Its one thousand times better. I noticed a difference almost immediately - my face generally did not look as 'puffy' as it had, and the red scars from previous breakouts faded. Now, it hasn't been all sunshine and roses - I have had a couple of breakouts since... and that initial one? Its gonna take a loooonnnggg time to heal. However, I have noticed that my new breakouts are not nearly as bad, and don't last nearly as long.

I believe that stressful time in the 3rd year of my undergrad was the trigger for my gluten intolerance, and that my acne since that time has been a result of eating gluten. I'm sticking to the gluten free diet, and I'm expecting good results from here on out. I have to admit its a pain in the keester not to be able to eat out (god, I miss poutine!) but when the alternative is massive cysts, I'll put up with the inconvenience.

To those who are thinking of trying it- as others have mentioned, gluten (found in wheat, bran, oats and rye) is in everything! Read EVERY label carefully and know the alternative names that gluten (wheat especially) can be called in pre-packaged food.

Good luck to all!

(sorry for the long post *blushes*!)

Okay, so if we buy the gluten free foods, like say...ummm oatmeal, or whatever else...oats, or whatnot...and the only reason we originally stopped regular oats, and oatmeal, or wht have u..

We wont break out right?

I mean, I can eat some gluten free stuff and be okay, because i am not allergic to oats/oatmeal...however the ones with gluten do break me out..'

So, as long as iit is GLUTEN FREE, we should be okay, with the new non gluten foods?

Okay, so if we buy the gluten free foods, like say...ummm oatmeal, or whatever else...oats, or whatnot...and the only reason we originally stopped regular oats, and oatmeal, or wht have u..

We wont break out right?

I mean, I can eat some gluten free stuff and be okay, because i am not allergic to oats/oatmeal...however the ones with gluten do break me out..'

So, as long as iit is GLUTEN FREE, we should be okay, with the new non gluten foods?

If the food says 'gluten free' on the package, you're good!

You have to be careful with other products though. Gluten/wheat can be hidden in a lot of stuff.... it can be called 'malt' or 'maltodextrin' (found in cereal) or 'hydrongenated vegetable oil' or even 'natural flavour'.... go to celiac.org for a complete 'unsafe food list'

good luck :)

Hey everyone, I was really interested to read this thread because I've just discovered the link between my acne and gluten.

And now for a story :)

Since I was in my third year of university (5 years ago) I've suffered with cystic acne. It was triggered by an extremely stressful event. Thinking that it was stress related, I went to my family doctor who put me on Minocin... and had an allergic reaction (hives everywhere). Then I tried biaxin (an anti bacterial med) and it worked! But the acne never really went away... it was always lurking. I could never figure out what was going on... I'd had 98% clear skin in high school!

About three years ago, my mom experienced a stressful event and it triggered severe indigestion and stomach pains. After A LOT of research, she discovered (through process of elimination) that she had a gluten intolerance.

Around the same time my mom discovered her gluten intolerance, my morning cereal was giving me severe pain. As I sat at the side of the road in my car, half way to work but unable to drive because of the pain, I realized that it was the milk giving me problems. I haven't had dairy in almost 4 years.

Some interesting things about gluten intolerance (according to our doctor): it often coexists with lactose intolerance, its hereditary, and its often triggered by a stressful event.

Since I was already lactose intolerant, I decided to be vigilant about gluten as well, eating virtually gluten free at home, and eating what I wanted when I was out. This worked... for awhile.

It was 6 weeks ago that I realized I was experiencing the symptoms of gluten intolerance. I'm a grad student and between April and June of this year I got lazy with my gluten free eating. What can I say, I was stressed and I love a good chocolate chip cookie :) Anyway, 6 weeks ago I was home for the weekend and being extremely careless about my diet. I noticed that after every meal I experienced nauseousness and indigestion and a general feeling of bloating. By the end of the weekend I was fearing the worst... but the worst was yet to come.

Monday morning I woke up to 6 of the largest cystic acne spots I've ever had, clustered together on my chin. They were huge, painful and horrid looking.

What was I to do? To the internet! After a morning of research that all pointed to derms and accutane, I was on the verge of making a doctor's appointment when I came across a site that mentioned 'wheat and acne'. If I'd been a cartoon character, a light bulb would have gone off over my head - it WAS the gluten! I had the other symptoms! After some more reading, I cut off my gluten cold turkey.

How's my acne? Its one thousand times better. I noticed a difference almost immediately - my face generally did not look as 'puffy' as it had, and the red scars from previous breakouts faded. Now, it hasn't been all sunshine and roses - I have had a couple of breakouts since... and that initial one? Its gonna take a loooonnnggg time to heal. However, I have noticed that my new breakouts are not nearly as bad, and don't last nearly as long.

I believe that stressful time in the 3rd year of my undergrad was the trigger for my gluten intolerance, and that my acne since that time has been a result of eating gluten. I'm sticking to the gluten free diet, and I'm expecting good results from here on out. I have to admit its a pain in the keester not to be able to eat out (god, I miss poutine!) but when the alternative is massive cysts, I'll put up with the inconvenience.

To those who are thinking of trying it- as others have mentioned, gluten (found in wheat, bran, oats and rye) is in everything! Read EVERY label carefully and know the alternative names that gluten (wheat especially) can be called in pre-packaged food.

Good luck to all!

(sorry for the long post *blushes*!)

Nah....that was really interesting to read. Thanks for sharing :angel: