Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, guys!

Drum roll...

Today, I received my first Isolaz treatment!

The Isolaz basically uses a vacuum to suck oil and blackheads and sebum and all kinds of things out of your pores, and then uses a laser flash to kill bacteria within. Supposedly, it also reduces red marks, shrinks oil glands, and generally shrinks pore size while providing a deep-cleaning.

3-5 sessions (1 every 2 weeks) is the amount of treatment recommended, with some 'maintenance' sessions occasionally after that. At the dermatology clinic I located, the first two sessions cost $400 each, and $350 for the following ones. My session took about 40 minutes.

So, here's how it went:

First, since I am under 18, there was an approximately 30-minute long informational session with my parents in the morning where the R.N. told us all about the Isolaz and answered all of our questions.

She said that a lot of patients come in at the same crossroads where I stood: we've tried a lot of prescriptions, over-the-counter treatments, have been offered Accutane or other strong medications, and want to try something else before this slightly risky last resort.

I decided to give it a go and came back a few hours later.

First, I lied down in a reclining doctor's chair, and the R.N. put warm towels on my face to open the pores. She put on what looked like some form of cotton pads over my eyes and covered them with goggles (to protect my eyes from the laser). After a few times of gently cleasing my face with the warm towels, she applied a cool gel with her fingers all over. She had previously shown me the Isolaz machine, and it was a relatively small, handheld apparatus on a long nozzle attached to the main compartments of the machine. It had two attachments - one larger vacuum for use all over the face and one smaller one for use near the nose and lips. Testing it on my arm, I did not think it would be too big of a deal.

Well, let me tell you... the Isolaz is marketed as "painless"... definitely not so. At least, not for me. When the vacuum was sucking up the sebum from my face, it felt something like metal tongs were digging into my face and being twisted. But it was tolerable, as it only lasted 2 seconds at most per "shot". After the "grip" of the vacuum was released, it ceased to hurt immediately. It only hurt this strongly in my most acne-dense areas: my chin and the tops of my cheeks. In less inflamed areas, there was little discomfort. The laser flashes I saw as red and yellow under my eyelids, but it was not hot or uncomfortable or anything.

After the R.N. went over my whole face, she reapplied the warm towels, and did a few minor extractions in stubborn areas. Painless practically, as I insisted that they should be shallow (my last extraction experience was not pleasant at all). Then, she used the smaller sized vacuum attachment to target some specific areas on my face. More wet towels, some more vacuum maintenance.

At the end, she put on some oil-free SPF 30 sunscreen on my face.

The important things she told me were that minor redness or irritation could persist for a few days and to avoid sun exposure or irritating products (she told me to use a cleanser without active ingredients like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid).

I already made two more appointments set at two-week intervals, as recommended.

Now, a few hours later, my face is a bit red, but not worse than flare-ups. It feels very soft to the touch, and I don't see any oil production on my nose (although it looks strangely shiny, despite it's dryness...lol).

I guess I'll see what happens!

Currently, I am also trying the ACV thing (two teaspoons morning and night) and drinking 2-3 cups of Get Gorgeous Herb Tea for Clear Skin every day. I just started this, so...

I hope this information helped you learn some more about Isolaz. I'll keep you posted in about two weeks!

this seems like a great treatment, though very costly!

would this work forchest or back, too?

and would it make someone with senstiive skin too dry and flaky?

I'm not sure if it many doctors would do it on the chest area (I got the impression mine did not), but the R.N. said that the back is treatable with Isolaz for sure. She just told me that I should try the treatment on my face first and then we'll see about my back.

I do not see it causing any dryness or flakiness... I use an oil-free moisturizer with SPF 30, and my face seems fine. It would probably be okay, as long as you monitored the situation and moisturized with something noncomedogenic.

So yeah, two days later, I do not have any gigantic pimples, just a few small ones (but the R.N. had also warned me of breakouts, as all the oil had been sucked to the surface). I feel like my complexion is getting more even, at least a bit. However, I realize how important it is to truly reapply and reapply sunscreen and avoid the sun... after some sun exposure yesterday my face is getting redder again... they do not perform the procedure on you when you have a tan until the tan fades... LOL.

I'm not sure if it many doctors would do it on the chest area (I got the impression mine did not), but the R.N. said that the back is treatable with Isolaz for sure. She just told me that I should try the treatment on my face first and then we'll see about my back.

I do not see it causing any dryness or flakiness... I use an oil-free moisturizer with SPF 30, and my face seems fine. It would probably be okay, as long as you monitored the situation and moisturized with something noncomedogenic.

So yeah, two days later, I do not have any gigantic pimples, just a few small ones (but the R.N. had also warned me of breakouts, as all the oil had been sucked to the surface). I feel like my complexion is getting more even, at least a bit. However, I realize how important it is to truly reapply and reapply sunscreen and avoid the sun... after some sun exposure yesterday my face is getting redder again... they do not perform the procedure on you when you have a tan until the tan fades... LOL.

ha wow thatd be hard for me until winter! i worship the sun!

Wow, i am glad that it is working so well for you :)

I just had my second isolaz treatment. Like you i went to the derm for 2 years, only for him to prescribe me everything under the sun, and it work for a couple weeks, and made my skin unbearably raw.

As, for the isolaz treatment, I found certain area's on my face somewhat sensitive, but for the majority 95 percent, it was relaxing and painless. )

I noticed after my first procedure (and my est. did warn me i may break out) i did have a few, but they were not as painful as normal breakouts, did anyone notice the same? Its day two after the second treatment, right now i have no new breakout, so i am super exited :)

I was so happy on the amount of of oil and blackheads it removed from my face, and how quickly the emerging breakouts healed. I noticed a the redness from prior acne lighten slightly, i did ask my est. about the skin redness but she wants to go through a few acne treatments before the skin rejuvination. From the boards, and numerous webpages i've visited, i guess i am pretty lucky my skin care center only charges $125 per treatment (this includes new tips).

Keep us updated, ill post my updates too.

Thanks for your replies, guys!

Dill00, I am glad it seems to be working for you! Keep us posted. ;)

I have mixed news for myself actually...

So, it's been about two weeks since my last appointment and I'm due for my next in two days.

My face still has big flat red areas, but I feel like maybe they're not as violently red as before.

I don't really have BIG pimples anymore... just scattered smaller ones, and they usually respond to spot treatments. I think my nose is producing less oil - it still has a lot of blackheads, but less whiteheads. I popped one really big pimple that was threatening to take over my chin, so I'm nervous about the effect the vacuum and laser will have on that sensitive area... but beauty is pain. Ain't it true, here!

Still using lots of sunscreen.

I'm happy because it used to be that I would shudder whenever I got out of the shower, my face would be really inflamed and red from the steam, but now it doesn't react as strongly. Some days are actually very good. :)

I'll keep adding to my log after my second treatment!

Good, keep us posted...I am getting this for my chin ..and my skin is naturally really dry, so I know this addition, done 1 time every 2 weeks, should keep me 100% clear!! ;)

Hi, again!

To arielle and mostextreme - best of luck! I'm glad it's been working for you mostextreme, and hopefully your skin won't dry out from the treatment, arielle. It didn't make my skin dry at all - maybe that's because I use a lot of moisturizing sunscreen.

Today was my second session, and it was a bit shorter, only about 35 minutes total.

Very painful - at some points it felt like knives were digging into my face. But, then again, the pain went away as soon as she took the tip off that area. You just have to be patient enough to deal with 30 minutes of mild torture. :)

At first, she tried a double-pulse vacuum (like, sucking it up twice before removing the tip) and that lasted a couple shots until I changed my mind and decided that a single-pulse would be enough. I just couldn't handle it.

So, afterward, my face was as red as a lobster's, but after a half hour of icing my face the redness went away dramatically. The nurse said it would be red and irritated for a couple of days, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks this weekend!

My pimples really do seem to have been sucked off my face - my pores are kind of enlarged, my face is generally redder, but my skin is not oily and it is relatively smooth. No dryness or flakiness, though.

I figure I'll deal with removing the breakouts first and then I'll figure something out for the hyperpigmentation. The nurse, when I came in, said my face looked less inflamed and the red marks seem to have faded. I think that's maybe partially true, but we'll see as I continue my saga.

I'm going on a two week trip on Saturday and then coming back to another appointment right before I start high school (haha, fun, the great acne experience of ninth grade), so hopefully my skin can turn over a new leaf.

Still using the gentle cleanser they gave me (no active ingredients), and their oil-free spf 30 facial sunscreen reapplied several times a day.

Talk to you guys later!

Hmm that doesn't sound like a very supportive doctor!

It sounds like you're well on your way to being clear... Looks like you'll have the last laugh. :P

As for me, it's been about a week and a half since my second Isolaz treatment, and I'm not seeing that much improvement. It basically didn't change. Or at least not for other people to notice.

I have a slight reduction in large whiteheads. The blackheads have not been eliminated - my nose is now even more sensitive to hard-forming pimples.

Otherwise, I still have large red blotches on my cheeks and it flares up easily. I have a third session scheduled in two weeks again, with a cleaning session before, but I'm wary about the extractions because every time I get them done I have dark marks left in the spots poked with a needle.

What's killing me is that only now am I realizing how I appear to other people.... Sometimes, I look in the mirror and think hey, not so bad today. But then someone in my family says "Are you still washing your face?" or "(sigh) It sure is a shame about your face..." Or when I go out of the room where there's company my mom's best friend says "You have a golden child but it's too bad about her face."

I don't know what to do at this point... nothing seems to help, and I still don't want to take Accutane because of all of the other health risks. My biggest question is that is it worth it to endure the embarrassment, going without make-up, but leaving my skin alone to heal? Or should I start using some quality foundation/concealer/powder/whatever to artificially give myself an even skin tone? Would it hurt my skin?

Hey guys! It's been about two weeks since my last treatment. This time, I opted to have a facial for 20 minutes before my laser. It just involved a facial cleanser and extractions which were not anywhere near as painful as the laser...

The Isolaz procedure was pretty standard. I asked for more work on my chin, and afterward it was shocking to me to see the disappearance of many of the blackheads I've had for years. :P Very painful process though.

It was red only for a day or two, then it looked pretty much better. Recently I got a HUGE pimple right by my nose that I popped accidentally and it formed a big mark that will leave a scar, but now it's reforming into a new pimple... gah... hope to quelch it with salicylic acid.. mwahahaha! Lol.

So, some people tell me that my face is getting a lot better... but they're my close friends, so they may be just saying that. There are less instances of BIG pimples, but there are lots of little ones, that I control with cleanser and spot treatment and sunscreen. And I dust some powder on before I go anywhere. It looks generally less bumpy, still pretty red though. I'll deal with the hyperpigmentation after the active stuff's done. I would say that the facial almost doubled the effectiveness of the Isolaz. I'm definitely doing it again next time. Talk to you then! Any more questions?

Hey, guys!

Drum roll...

Today, I received my first Isolaz treatment!

Congratulations! How long did you skin stay red/irritated after the treatment? I'm thinking of having this done today, but have a date on Monday night. Also, how many days after the first treatment did you break out?

Thanks so much!! You're a hero for posting about your experience.