Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunrise25

started tane today - 2nd course

Hi everyone

So after a lot of debate, research and asking some opinions from people here, I decided to go on a somewhat low dose accutane course again (I will start with 30mg/day then prob go up to 40 and maybe eventually 60 - I'm about 125Ibs). My endocrinologist is still keeping me on spiro because of some other PCOS symptoms I have. I know the two drugs will be strong on my body that's why I hope to remain on the low dose accutane and hope that it gives me good results.

If I need to up it, I will prob stop the spiro

Anyways my last tane course was 20 mg for 8 months - I had terrific results. Literally porcelain skin and was left with no scars or marks. But my acne was not too bad to start with

7 months after that course, my acne returned and was much worse than its ever been! After 2 months on antibiotics and topicals my derm and I decided it was tane time

I had some hair thinning on my last course so am somewhat concerned about that but my distress over my skin is probably causing me much more damage than tane could I think

Looking forward to your support and providing some to all taners out there!

And a positive note for everyone - my sis had the worst possible acne that covered every part of her face - she took tane about 7 years ago - became completely 100 percent clear - with minor scars that no one ever sees and now only gets the occasional pimple every few months. There's light at the end of the tunnel! (I keep telling myself that since I've been crying myself to sleep almost every single day for the last 2 months)

Thank u all! Ill keep u posted

Oh honey, i, like you needed two courses in order to be clear. I didn't have anything bad to start off with but just annoying and didn't know what else to do. Now, i'm 100% clear and love the skin i'm in.

I'm not an easy road, and having to do it twice sucks big time. But i'm there with you. I'm sure everything will be great after this course. Keeo your head up little soldier

Oh honey, i, like you needed two courses in order to be clear. I didn't have anything bad to start off with but just annoying and didn't know what else to do. Now, i'm 100% clear and love the skin i'm in.

I'm not an easy road, and having to do it twice sucks big time. But i'm there with you. I'm sure everything will be great after this course. Keeo your head up little soldier

Thanks so much for your words and support tan! I really appreciate it and it really helps

May I ask what ur dose was for your course? I'm just wondering if higher dose gives better remission? Thanks soo much!

I'm happy to hear that u've made it through the two tane courses and are happy about it :) its well-deserved!

Good luck on your second course of accutane. If I had any "words of wisdom" I guess I would recommend getting as much exercise as you can possibly tolerate. Walking is my personal favorite.

PCOS really is a devastating disease. My aunt has it and she suffers immensely with hair loss, depression and devastation because she is unable to have children. She has found a lot of comfort and care from a support group she was referred to by her endocrinologist. Just stay positive and eat your greens :cool:

I certainly wish you the best of luck!

Good luck on your second course of accutane. If I had any "words of wisdom" I guess I would recommend getting as much exercise as you can possibly tolerate. Walking is my personal favorite.

PCOS really is a devastating disease. My aunt has it and she suffers immensely with hair loss, depression and devastation because she is unable to have children. She has found a lot of comfort and care from a support group she was referred to by her endocrinologist. Just stay positive and eat your greens :cool:

I certainly wish you the best of luck!

Thank you so much for the support Stellar! PCOS is indeed difficult - I especially didn't imagine getting it at 23 and its been a little rough accepting it

However I'm lucky to not have my weight affected or have any of the other serious symptoms of PCOS. When I heard about the infertility I broke down for some time but then realized that surprises happen and I shouldn't worry in advance about this - one thing at a time

I've looked at your accutane log and want to wish u the best of luck! Its great that u'll be in dermatology at the time too

I used to exercise all the time but now find it difficult as I don't want to be anywhere without make up on even the gym. I think I'm overly concious about my acne. Any suggestions for how to get around that would be great!

Best of luck to u and I hope things go well with your aunt as well!

Hi!

I'm also on my 2nd course. I take 40mg/day and weigh 107lbs. My first course was also at this dosage. Yesterday I saw my derm and asked whether a higher dose would be more beneficial but he said that it wouldn't. Apparently studies conducted recently show that it is the overall length of treatment that is the most important factor, rather than dosage. He seems to think that two 4 month sessions (to total 8 months overall) is what my skin needs. I am currently 4 weeks into my 2nd course and my skin is getting so much better than it did on the first course and the results are a lot faster too :)

I have never taken Spiro but I am on Dianette. I would trust what your derm suggests - they know what is safe for our body.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for your post Lora! Its helpful getting all the support

I hope it works out well for all of us

I will check again with my derm about taking the spito + tane together as I havent seen anyone here who's doing that and am worried about the potential impact of both the drugs on my liver + kidneys

If anyone knows about this, PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks

Thanks so much for your words and support tan! I really appreciate it and it really helps

May I ask what ur dose was for your course? I'm just wondering if higher dose gives better remission? Thanks soo much!

I'm happy to hear that u've made it through the two tane courses and are happy about it :) its well-deserved!

HI honey,

I was on 40mg/day only and that was enough for me lol. Anything more i think my skin would've fallen off!!!

The second course i found to be a lot easier. Maybe because i knew what to expect?!? I just never let it get me down. That was key for me. It's not easy... but it was worth it. And i keep telling myself... i'm paying now for beautiful skin after. I can do this. And i did.

Tanya

Thanks a lot Tanya!

It's been 6 days for me now and I just feel the chapped lips coming. My skin's still oily and I've gotten a few more pimples, but thats about it

Im keeping my fingers crossed!