Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jallelinda

Tissue expansion

I was watching on t.v. of a person who had severe damage to his neck during a fire.The doctor put in tissue expanders to give him new skin .Tissue expansion is a relatively straightforward procedure that enables the body to "grow" extra skin . A silicone balloon expander is inserted under the skin near the area to be repaired and then gradually filled with salt water over time, causing the skin to stretch and grow,used to repair skin damaged by birth defects, accidents or surgery, and in certain cosmetic procedures.And im thinking tissue expanders under my cheeks where all my acne is and then in a couple of weeks when it fills have all that scar tissue removed and have only the new sking....Has anyone heard of this or asked their doctor about it?

go to the scarless healing thread and click on the link to the AFIRM article.the military already has a enzyme that eats scar tissue and then the skin grows back healthy.

I was watching on t.v. of a person who had severe damage to his neck during a fire.The doctor put in tissue expanders to give him new skin .Tissue expansion is a relatively straightforward procedure that enables the body to "grow" extra skin . A silicone balloon expander is inserted under the skin near the area to be repaired and then gradually filled with salt water over time, causing the skin to stretch and grow,used to repair skin damaged by birth defects, accidents or surgery, and in certain cosmetic procedures.And im thinking tissue expanders under my cheeks where all my acne is and then in a couple of weeks when it fills have all that scar tissue removed and have only the new sking....Has anyone heard of this or asked their doctor about it?

Your idea is actually feasible. Tissue expanders are used in extreme cosmetic-reconstructive cases. You basically have to place the expander underneath healthy skin, because you do not want to expand an area that already has scarring. Anyway, the only problem with this procedure is the scar that remains around the area of scarred skin that was cut out and the healthy expanded skin that was then transplanted into the recipient site. Other than that, it is technically possible to use this procedure to replace acne-scarred skin with so-called perfect skin from other areas on your face and/or neck. But as I say, the surgical scars will remain (sometimes minimally visible with proper cosmetic stitching and appropriate after-care) and there may be a significant texture and colour difference between the transplanted skin and the skin next to it. For example, my face is somewhat reddish, but my neck is very pale. This has been the case since I was a teenager who suffered from years of facial acne. Even though my individual acne spots are no longer visible, my facial skin colour has remained somewhat unique in comparison to the rest of my body's skin colour.

Your idea is actually feasible. Tissue expanders are used in extreme cosmetic-reconstructive cases. You basically have to place the expander underneath healthy skin, because you do not want to expand an area that already has scarring. Anyway, the only problem with this procedure is the scar that remains around the area of scarred skin that was cut out and the healthy expanded skin that was then transplanted into the recipient site. Other than that, it is technically possible to use this procedure to replace acne-scarred skin with so-called perfect skin from other areas on your face and/or neck. But as I say, the surgical scars will remain (sometimes minimally visible with proper cosmetic stitching and appropriate after-care) and there may be a significant texture and colour difference between the transplanted skin and the skin next to it. For example, my face is somewhat reddish, but my neck is very pale. This has been the case since I was a teenager who suffered from years of facial acne. Even though my individual acne spots are no longer visible, my facial skin colour has remained somewhat unique in comparison to the rest of my body's skin colour.

Anythong is better than this :think:

Anythong is better than this :think:

Seriously. Worst comes to worse, I can always use whatever smoothing procedures are available to blend in the scars from the transplanted skin and healthy skin and the magic of makeup. It's a shame makeup can do so much, it can make a person with the most discolored uneven skin look like they have perfect skin, but it can't do anything for texture. :rolleyes:

I think we would all like to see a procedure like this become available to the public. It's a shame significant progress has been so slow to date.