Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ihasanugly

Accutane and Vitamin A

Hey, I'm new to acne.org, but I've had bacne for several years and up until recently I decided to do something about it. Little did I know it would be this difficult.

I'm not sure what type of acne I have, if it's acne at all. I know it's severe and it's an infection... some of the 'zits' have green pus D:

I've been using tons of medication... I shower frequently and scrub down with joy (yes, the dish soap... proven to kill more germs than even pine sol), then with clean and clear benzoyl peroxide scrub, then afterwards I put on the benzoyl peroxide lotion.

I'm 18 and still live with my mom. Thankfully, she's been helping me out with this. She's also assisted me with a few miracle cures (so to speak)... such as, the other night, she scrubbed my back down with Borax, then the benzoyl peroxide wash, then actual peroxide.

But she's also told me that all accutane is, is vitamin A.

That being the case (she told me), doing as much as rubbing my back down with Cod Liver oil (a natural source of vitamin A) would have the same effect, but a whole lot faster and healthier. I read somewhere that because the vitamin A in cod liver oil is natural and unprocessed, it's safe to take 10 times as much as the processed stuff. Essentially, every night I could rub the cod liver oil all over my acne.

Has anyone done this, or even researched this? I'd like to know a bit more about it. But I'd definitely try this before doing accutane.

Rubbing your back with cod liver oil isn't going to help much. Actually, topical treatments overall is just bullshit and a way to make money. You are just trying to get rid of the symptom of something that is WRONG in your body.

Believe me I know how you feel, I've had acne since I was 19, now I'm 24. But it's better than ever because I put NOTHING on my face and I am currently researching different things. I am 100% sure that acne is linked to diet and that topical treatments and antibiotics is not the answer. My acne is not CLEAR but it's CLEARER.

So far the interesting things I'm trying to figure out how they affect acne:

Insulin

Vitamin A, D and E

Vegetable Oils

Too little fat in diet (non vegetable)

Omega 3-Omega 6 balance

Basicly, I am 100% sure all these are linked to acne, like the people saying masturbating makes acne worse, they're right. It does. Because they probably are lacking in some vitamins that control the hormones (Vitamin A & D) and those vitamins are fat soluble only. And guess what's in Cod Liver Oil? Vitamin A and D in large quantities.

Eat it - Don't rub it on. And don't forget to eat it with FAT (coconut oil or real butter is best). Don't overdo it. Hope it'll help you but unfortunately it's not that easy to get rid of acne. But you might start discovering things like I have.

Good luck

PS: The only topical treatment that helps alittle is taking a swim in the ocean, rest is just a waste of time and money. And also, I eat Cod Liver Oil everyday (I get 3 times the recomended ammount of Vitamin A and E, some people are gonna call me crazy but I know what I'm doing.)

So far the interesting things I'm trying to figure out how they affect acne:

Insulin

Vitamin A, D and E

Vegetable Oils

Too little fat in diet (non vegetable)

Omega 3-Omega 6 balance

Most vegetable oils turn are inflammatory. Omega 6 is inflammatory. Blood sugar levels increase inflammation and trigger hormone production, etc.

Diet/nutrition effects acne in so many ways: digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, hormone balance, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc, etc. And most of those overlap, along with environment and lifestyle habits like stress management, sleep and exercise.

And many topical treatments are extremely helpful and all many people need. Many nutrients are absorbed into the skin and can work directly on boosting collagen, improving cell turnover, blocking androgen receptors in the follicles, etc. Topical zinc and sulphur are anti-inflammatory. Many have seen a great deal of improvement from sulphur soaps and bathing in epsom salts. Green tea can block androgen receptors. Also, a lot of people have had great results with oil cleansing.

And of course, BHA, salicylic acid clears pores and helps cells inside pores exfoliate properly. I've seen many people describe the aspirin mask as a 'god send' and it helped me a great deal.

I don't think that when we were created we were supposed to look for green tea, topical zinc and sulphur, BHA, etc.. I think it's silly and you know that that shit doesn't clear anyone, maybe someone that had 1 zit in their life but not real acne. Because you're treating a symptom not the cause of the symptom. It's like me going to the hospital with a broken leg and they only treat me for the pain with painkillers.

Looking at your sig we basicly eat the same way, only I eat more meat and dairy products. I buy grassfed stuff only, which has a better omega 3-6 balance. Don't fear red meat. Fear the massproduced junk with sugar in it that will spike your insulinlevels like mad. I also don't use that much supplements, but everyone got their own way :)

Going back to the topic, be carefull with vitamin a, don't use EXTREME doses.

Looking at your sig we basicly eat the same way, only I eat more meat and dairy products. I buy grassfed stuff only, which has a better omega 3-6 balance. Don't fear red meat. Fear the massproduced junk with sugar in it that will spike your insulinlevels like mad. I also don't use that much supplements, but everyone got their own way :)

Thanks, but I know what to fear. I don't like red meat. And I take supplements because my days don't always go as a planned and I don't eat everything I meant to that day, possibly over cook and destroy some nutrients. In addition, there's no telling how much is left in many foods by the time it was grown in depleted soil and/or picked under ripe and/or stored, then cooked. In addition, you'd have to eat all day long in order to get the amount of vitamin C we really need.

And whether or not we were meant to do something when 'we were created' is no reason why someone currently with a face full of inflamed acne or clogged pores shouldn't also use a topical to help them clear their skin. Do you not apply anything to a sun burn or cut or scrape? Because 'we weren't meant to.'