Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ihatescars2

Dermaroller Success??

So I've read tons of posts on here and other sites about people using dermaroller for scars, however I've seen very few (hardly any solid ones) about people actually having success and seeing improvement with this method. Has this or is this working for anybody?? If so, what type of scars, how much improvement, and how long until you saw results? Pictures would be great too. I see successful before/after pics on the dermaroller websites but obviously thats what they are going to show. id like to see/hear some real feedback

I don't like it when people post as if people on this board owe them a response.

Anyway i have had a few sessions of dermaroller, results take TIME. i'm talking a year and about 4-5 sessions for really significant results.

Also you aren't likely to get much in the way of results doing it on yourself, unless you have had it done professionally to see how it is done properly. By this i mean people totally under-estimate the pressure and number of times you need to go over the same area. I read people on here saying they had redness that had gone by the next day. If that is the case you didn't do it properly in the slightest.

You will have about 4-5 days of redness and you WILL bleed quite a bit.

This is the fact sheet you are given before the procedure by Dr Tony Chu at the hammersmith in london. I hope it is ok for me to post this as i think people need to realise what the procedure is about.

P A T I E N T F A CT S H E E T

DERMA ROLLER PROCEDURE

The Derma Roller is a German invention used for the treatment of lines, wrinkles and scarring of the skin. The Medical Derma Roller is the device we use at the hospital.

A home-use Derma Roller can be purchased but the spikes on the roller are so small they do not penetrate the skin but can be used as an exfoliant or to increase absorption of products applied to the skin.

How does it work?

The Derma Roller is based on the principle of needling. If you stick a needle into the skin and then withdraw it the needle entry will be so small it will not leave a scar but the damage to the lower part of the skin will induce new collagen production. With the Derma Roller there are 189 small needles present in the roller that will penetrate through the skin and cause the same sort of injury as a needle-stick. I have calculated that when we treat a patient we induce about 8,000 holes in each cheek. This generates a lot of new collagen production, which tends to soften and iron out lines, wrinkles and scars.

How is it done?

The Derma Roller is a painful procedure and, therefore, we ask patients to attend the clinic one hour prior to their appointment to have a local anaesthetic cream applied to the skin (EMLA). This cream is applied by one of the clinic nurses to the face, which is then covered with cling film to increase the efficacy. In some patients an application of EMLA cream is all that is required and although uncomfortable the procedure is bearable. In other patients , even with the use of EMLA cream, the procedure is too painful. In such patients I generally inject a small amount of local anaesthetic deep into the skin to numb it in the same way as dental injections numb the gums.

What do I look like afterwards?

Immediately after treatment the skin looks red and slightly swollen. The redness will persist through to the following day and will look almost like sunburn. By the third day most of the redness will have settled down and can be easily concealed behind make-up. I have, however, had a number of patients who have literally gone back to work the day after the Derma Roller has been performed but because the skin is quite red it might be advisable to return to work two days after the procedure. This obviously very much depends on the individual patient.

How should I treat the skin following treatment?

Following the Derma Roller procedure the skin can be treated very much as normal. It should be cleansed and washed in the normal way and moisturisers can be applied. The day after Derma Roller make-up can be applied to cover redness of the skin.

How often does this procedure need to be performed?

Initially, we suggest that Derma Roller is repeated every three months for one year. After four sessions time can be taken to see the improvement before deciding whether further treatment with the Derma Roller is required.

What results can I expect?

The Derma Roller certainly seems to be very good at improving the small pitted scars and also big open pores. It will also improve lines and wrinkles particularly the ones from the nose to the mouth and those around the eyes. Response rates are very variable and when we see a patient there is no way of predicting how good their improvement will be. The amount of collagen that is produced increases for up to six months and with a second treatment after three months this is boosted even further.

Recommendations prior to the procedure being performed:

A number of our patients have found the Derma Roller procedure painful but some patients have reported that when they have taken pain killers prior to treatment it has reduced the pain considerably.

I would, therefore, recommend that you take pain killers two hours prior to your appointment and I enclose a prescription for Voltarol which is a particularly good pain killer. You should take one 50 mgs dose before coming to the hospital. You may also take a further dose of Voltarol following the procedure being performed.

Anthony C Chu, FRCP

Senior Lecturer / Consultant Dermatologist

Hey Lamarr1986,

People come here seeking help and information from other people who are suffering from the same type of problems. You sound like a doctor or lawyer, in that everything must billable. Look at your language "owe them a response". Anyway barring that, thanks for your response and sharing your knowledge and experience! It sounds like dermarolling done right by a professional is worthwhile. I will definitely look into more now.

Guest delta force operators

self needling may be just as beneficial since the scars are acturally targetted with the needle, The dermaroller can be a secondary treatment to smooth the scars in with the surrounding skin. I would first needle them if they are deep, and when u get to the point where its hard to needle them >Do a dermaroller. Look up post needling There have been some good results . Look up healthyskeptic posts, others also.

I'm chilled and i wasn't just reffering to you. Sometimes you get people on here that when they don't get a response they start f'n and blinding because no one has responded to them, like a spoilt little child. Again i'm not just talking about this thread because this one wasn't to bad, i wouldn't of replied if it was!!

Sorry if i came across a bit over the top.

hey lamar, if you dont mind me asking, is your face better now? and are there any specific products you are required to use?

Yeah it is but i haven't had them done that freqently, i could of had many more but i have been fighting accutane induced rosacea aswell...

I simply use red light therapy and terproline in between the needling/dermaroller sessions.

Yeah it is but i haven't had them done that freqently, i could of had many more but i have been fighting accutane induced rosacea aswell...

I simply use red light therapy and terproline in between the needling/dermaroller sessions.

thanks for the reply.

i'm having mine done once a month and i'm only required to use a moisturizer and sunblock.

That's cool, you should look into terproline. i can really recomend it. Doesn't make you break out, moisturises the skin well, and really increases collagen production and wound healing.

I plan on using it forever if im honest. Obviously if they are older than a few years the terproline by itself won't improve them much, but really combined with needling it is an amazing product.

If Dr Chu sells it you know it is good...

That's cool, you should look into terproline. i can really recomend it. Doesn't make you break out, moisturises the skin well, and really increases collagen production and wound healing.

I plan on using it forever if im honest. Obviously if they are older than a few years the terproline by itself won't improve them much, but really combined with needling it is an amazing product.

If Dr Chu sells it you know it is good...

thanks, i'll try asking my doctor bout it..how many treatments have you had so far?

do you plan on doing it on a yearly basis?

no worries lamar. so it sounds like you have had good results with terproline? i actually just received mine today! so its nice to see a positive comment about it. can you tell me what type of scars you used it on, how often you used it, how long till you saw results, and what type of result did you experience? any info would be greatly appreciated. ive also ordered copper peptides so im not sure which one to use. im assuming i shouldnt use both.

I'm just self needling individual scars every 6 weeks or so. i used the terproline as a moisturiser twice a day. If your going to use the copper peptides make sure you use them at a seperate time from the terproline.

As with anything the results are slow, but definenetly there, just make sure your getting either dermaroller/needling or TCA or something to stimulate collagen production and skin remodeling.

Guest MyScarTech
so no responses?? gee, thanks. this is comforting

Skin Needling is an awsome procedure if its performed right...

I'm chilled and i wasn't just reffering to you. Sometimes you get people on here that when they don't get a response they start f'n and blinding because no one has responded to them, like a spoilt little child. Again i'm not just talking about this thread because this one wasn't to bad, i wouldn't of replied if it was!!

Sorry if i came across a bit over the top.

Actually, I thought your post was very appropriate. People who display "attitude" need a spanking sometimes.

There is a new European company selling Dr.Roller Derma Rollers with needle sizes available – 0.25 mm, 0.5 mm, 1.0 mm & 1.5 mm. Worldwide FREE shipping and PayPal payments accepted!

They have very good prices - one Derma Roller only for 69 USD (including worldwide shipping). For multiple item orders are available additional discounts!

www.dr-roller.eu

[email protected]