Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Minibex_2007

First Derm visit - please give me your advice

Hi guys

Although I only have very mild acne my skin has been getting me down for some time and after many GP visits he has reffered me to a derm through the NHS.

The thing is I am really worried because my sister told me that Derms don't really want to know unless your skin is affecting your health or is really serious. Although I only have very mild ance my skin is oily and my pores look so large that my skin looks all bumpy and rough.

Can anyone tell me what to expect from my visit? Will he be able to help me or just call me silly because it's only cosmetic?

Please help, I'm really nervous and I don't know whether to cancel my appointment.

xx

I guess it depends on your individual derm. I went for several years to a derm who prescribed me topicals & antibiotics but didn't really seem to care that they didn't work. She just shrugged & said "give it time." I felt like she didn't understand how bad it made me feel. I finally had enough & switched to a new derm who is really concerned about helping me. We tried another antibiotic for about 6 months & when that didn't help she prescribed spiro. She is picky about check ups & blood work, but I have seen real results. When I went for my 1st check up with spiro I said "It's better, but I am still breaking out." She said "We don't want better. We want perfect!" It was so nice to hear that!!

So...if this derm makes you feel silly, shop around for another one. Or try to communicate as best you can how you feel & what you hope to accomplish. Good luck!!

I guess it depends on your individual derm. I went for several years to a derm who prescribed me topicals & antibiotics but didn't really seem to care that they didn't work. She just shrugged & said "give it time." I felt like she didn't understand how bad it made me feel. I finally had enough & switched to a new derm who is really concerned about helping me. We tried another antibiotic for about 6 months & when that didn't help she prescribed spiro. She is picky about check ups & blood work, but I have seen real results. When I went for my 1st check up with spiro I said "It's better, but I am still breaking out." She said "We don't want better. We want perfect!" It was so nice to hear that!!

So...if this derm makes you feel silly, shop around for another one. Or try to communicate as best you can how you feel & what you hope to accomplish. Good luck!!

Thanks Mellieh, that has made me feel a bit more relaxed about it.

Do you know if I will have to have a blood test on my first visit? because I have a serious needle phobia!

x

It all depends on your derm. I am like you.....I have had mild acne all my life (increased severity during my cycle) and now that I hit my 30s, I would say I have moderate acne. My past derms have always looked at me like I am crazy. They looked at me and said you don't have a problem. I don't see anything. The problem was, they never saw me without makeup to see how bad it really was. So they would prescribe anything just to get me out of the office.

My new derm is MUCH better. He makes me take off my makeup and he sees the problem, especially now that it's gotten so much worse. He did start me on topicals first because he didn't think my acne was severe enough to go on meds. However, when those did not work for over a year, he put me on Spiro and doxy. So who knows, the derm may start you on topicals first, which is probably the best for you since you only have mild acne. If it doesn't work, s/he may start you on sprio or an antibiotic. And yes, if they do start you on sprio or YAZ (bcp containing spiro), you should be getting a blood test to check your potassium levels to make sure they are normal. A good derm will not let you start your meds until the blood test comes back ok.

I used to be afraid of needles (and I even work in the medical field), but after being pregnant and having my blood drawn almost EVERY month, you get so used to it and trust me, it's not a big deal at all. It will be over in seconds. ;)