Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chocolate Monkey

Benzoyl Peroxide Nightmare

Hey last year i bought some Benzoyl Peroxide cream (from the UK)...

went to a Boots store, and the Lady showed me Panoxyl Acne Gel (10%), i was a bit woahed, at 10% BP, however, however the pharmacist kept assuring me it works the same as the others, so i tried it, and i can say wow it has really worked wonders, not a single pimple or spot that comes to a head nearly since September 2007, and now i just have the troubles of small tiny whiteheads which is minor....

However, now my face feels stupidly dry, its always scaly, and the only time it feels good, is when i splash really cold water on it, and for the 5 minutes during when its wet. and then the itcyness etc comes back....

the product has also left my skin looking EXTREMELY dull, there is no glow, and like i mentioned above, my skin ONLY LOOKS GREAT DURING THE 5 MINUTE PERIOD IT HAS BEEN SPLASHED WITH COLD WATER, as soon as the waters dryed naturally, my skin looks dull again. (ho9pe this makes sense)

so i have to questions:

1) What do people reccomend for me to try, to get this itching, dry scaley skin to go away as its really bugged me. So many products ive tried (bio oil...which i was told would also help hyperpigmentation, but it has made thigns worst), so anyone know of any better products available in UK

2) A cure for this really dull face? I exfoliate regularly as people state, but it still does not help? any other advice

thanks

Well, I would try a moisturizer. I dont know if they carry Eucerin Skin Renewal in your area. Ive been using it for years. its lightweight and feels amazing. Also the acne.org moisturizer is great too, if a little too watery in my opinion.

When your face is damp, not wet (blot a little of the water away first), apply moisturizer... helps seal the water in I hear.

I also like emu oil... that is great too and leaves your skin silky.

So do you have redmarks from left over acne?

A change in diet may help.

Try eating lots and lots of foods that are good for your skin. Google it to find out more.

Carrots and Green tea are great for your skin, I started drinking 3 or 4 cups of green tea a day and my skin has gone from being dull like yours to vibrant and full of colour. ^_^

Oh... also try something that exfoliates... Alpha Hydroxy Acid... I was using one but its become extremely hard to find now... and be careful, it can sting! It should help your skin "glow" after some use. Good luck

leet: thanks for the advice, oh yeah, i have hyperpigmentation marks which have been left from the times i did used to have major acne, ive just left those to naturally disappear using the bodies own recovery system....why do they make any differences?

P..J.W: thanks for the advice, i will do a search for that, and woah green tea? does it actually really work!?!?!?!?! and any particular brand lol?

The itching and dryness would probably be lessened if you'd switch to a milder bp formula. Can you find 2.5% where you are? It's as effective as 10% but much less drying and irritating. http://www.acne.org/faq.html#higherpercentagebp

I also agree with the other suggestions to definitely use a moisturizer everyday. A favorite among our UK members is Eucerin Dry Skin Relief Face Cream with 5% Urea. You might give that a try.

thanks everyone, a bit of confusion on eucerin website it says:

Dry Skin Replenishing Face Cream with 5% Urea is for face

but doesnt some to have a dry skin relief face cream?

do you know which one i should be going for?

update:

just done an online check, and apparently replenishing is the relief cream? if that makes sense