Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SDG

The regimen that worked for me

Hi long time lurker, first time poster.

Anyways I thought I would share the regimen that worked for me.

Morning

Shower - Tea Tree Oil Facial Wash

Followed with:

Clindamycin - I used Clindasol, basically clindamycin with sunscreen

Benzoyl Peroxide - 5%

Moisturizer - I used Cetaphil

Night

Shower - Tea Tree Oil Facial Wash

Followed with:

Differin XP - 0.3%

Benzoyl Peroxide - 5%

Moisturizer - Cetaphil

Basically, I based the regimen on the premises that a combination of BP and clindamycin, and BP and Differin works better than any of those products by itself.

Heres the research:

Cunliffe WJ, Holland KT, Bojar R, Levy SF (2002). " A randomized, double-blind comparison of a clindamycin phosphate/benzoyl peroxide gel formulation and a matching clindamycin gel with respect to microbiologic activity and clinical efficacy in the topical treatment of acne vulgaris". Clin Ther 24 (7): 1117–33. doi:10.1016/S0149-2918(02)80023-6. PMID 12182256.

Leyden JJ, Berger RS, Dunlap FE, Ellis CN, Connolly MA, Levy SF (2001). " Comparison of the efficacy and safety of a combination topical gel formulation of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin with benzoyl peroxide, clindamycin and vehicle gel in the treatments of acne vulgaris". Am J Clin Dermatol 2 (1): 33–9. doi:10.2165/00128071-200102010-00006. PMID 11702619.

Lookingbill DP, Chalker DK, Lindholm JS, et al (1997). " Treatment of acne with a combination clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide gel compared with clindamycin gel, benzoyl peroxide gel and vehicle gel: combined results of two double-blind investigations". J Am Acad Dermatol 37 (4): 590–5. doi:10.1016/S0190-9622(97)70177-4. PMID 9344199.

Langner A, Chu A, Goulden V, Ambroziak M (2007). " A randomized, single-blind comparison of topical clindamycin + benzoyl peroxide and adapalene in the treatment of mild to moderate facial acne vulgaris". Br J Dermatol. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2133.2007.08308.x (inactive 2008-06-21). PMID 18047518.

Now I don't have anymore flare ups and my skin has cleared up significantly. Usually when I used just BP and moisturizer I would get the occasional pimple here and there and the occasional break out but now my face is virtually clear. The amount of BP I use is also a lot less than what I used to use with BP+Moisturizer.

To keep pace with the regimen, I've recently went on a paleolithic diet. I've also reduced the amount of BP I use in the morning and hopefully I can phase it out all together. Anyways I thought I would share.