Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PinkSushi

Spiro is giving me chicken skin!

I wonder is this happening to anyone else? Spiro is causing all my non-inflamed clogged pores to become really really prominent, as if they are literally pushing themselves out of my skin! It looks so awful though...does this seem like part of the purging process? Maybe it's good for the long run but I feel like I look so disgusting :evil: I always had a lot of clogged pores but I had to stretch my skin and stand an inch from the mirror to find them, now it's like they're yelling 'look at us!'. Last night I couldn't stand looking at them any more and I had a mega picking session, so I'm super blotchy an swollen today and didn't want to leave the house...add in to all that is the jumbo cyst on my forehead that doesn't want to heal :cry:

I've been on spiro about 4 weeks and Yaz for 5 and I know that's not long enough to expect any real results but it seems like aaaaages. :think:

It happened to me- lots of small bumps all over, & that was not typical for me. It lasted from maybe weeks 4-6, then started to clear. Hang in there!

I just went through the exact same thing!!!! Every morning I would wake up and instead of my cysts healing, they were getting worse and then I would have an additional 4-5 small breakouts every day for about 2 weeks. I went to my derm and he put me on Doxycyline and I swear, it's only been 3 days and I already see a HUGE improvement.

I wonder if a gp can prescribe me an antibiotic? I can't see the derm for eight weeks, and honestly my face is the worst it's ever been (except for when I was a kid but it never upset me then like it does now). I picked some more today, I don't really think it matters if I pick or not at this point, my skin makes itself look terrible all on it's own. It's mostly the CYSTS that are ruining my face ( five on my forehead alone) and loci, it's exactly like you described, they just won't heal. Also I am getting horrible body acne, there was a zit on my ankle today, wtf? I thought it must be an ingrown hair, but I popped it and it was a freakin zit, on my ANKLE. You really know it's bad when there's a zit on your ankle. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

I'm getting tempted to have a break from spiro to let all this heal. Bad idea? I keep making up lame-o excuses to avoid seeing friends/family. I hate this so much, I'm a social butterly naturally. I even threw a sickie from work on Thursday.

I wonder if a gp can prescribe me an antibiotic? I can't see the derm for eight weeks, and honestly my face is the worst it's ever been (except for when I was a kid but it never upset me then like it does now). I picked some more today, I don't really think it matters if I pick or not at this point, my skin makes itself look terrible all on it's own. It's mostly the CYSTS that are ruining my face ( five on my forehead alone) and loci, it's exactly like you described, they just won't heal. Also I am getting horrible body acne, there was a zit on my ankle today, wtf? I thought it must be an ingrown hair, but I popped it and it was a freakin zit, on my ANKLE. You really know it's bad when there's a zit on your ankle. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

I'm getting tempted to have a break from spiro to let all this heal. Bad idea? I keep making up lame-o excuses to avoid seeing friends/family. I hate this so much, I'm a social butterly naturally. I even threw a sickie from work on Thursday.

Pink, this is EXACTLY what happened to me!!!!! I never, EVER in my life had such bad skin. I broke out in places that I NEVER break out (ie: my back, my forearms, etc). I too had it so severe that I woke up one morning and called in "sick" to work, which I have never done before. Even my derm couldn't believe how bad it was.

In any case, the doxy has been a miracle!!!!! It hasn't even been a week and my face has calmed down soooooooooooo much. I do have to wear a ton of make-up to cover up all the redness from the past breakouts, but with it, you don't even notice that I have anything on my face.

I didn't want to stop spiro because it seems so common to get these horrible breakouts initially and then have completely clear skin eventually. Please try and see if you can get the antibiotics. Why can't you go in for 8 weeks to see your derm?

My derm is literally just booked out - the one in eight weeks is the follow up appointment I already had. I might try seeing if they have any cancellations cause this antibiotic sounds great! I am a bit leery of antibiotics though since the last one I tried gave me non-stop yeast infections and ringworm.

There is one bright spot on the horizon. Even though overall my face is worse than pre-spiro I just noticed today that the areas that were my previous worst regions - the sides of my face and my jawline are clearing up nicely. :dance: My t-zone however has been breaking out like a thing possesed ever since starting spiro. Last week it seemed I was waking up every morning to a new cyst on my forehead and chin. It's so strange how the acne has immigrated, I mean I normally do get acne on my t-zone, but it's usually one of my less bad areas.

I was getting a bit worried that spiro was making me depressed, but for now I'm going to blame the acne. I feel great in my self otherwise, no side effects at all.

Well that's good news!!!!

I would definitely call your derm and just put yourself on "stand by" and have them call you if they have an opening. Oh and you can ask for erythromycin as this antibiotic has a lower incidence of yeast infections.

My derm is literally just booked out - the one in eight weeks is the follow up appointment I already had. I might try seeing if they have any cancellations cause this antibiotic sounds great! I am a bit leery of antibiotics though since the last one I tried gave me non-stop yeast infections and ringworm.

There is one bright spot on the horizon. Even though overall my face is worse than pre-spiro I just noticed today that the areas that were my previous worst regions - the sides of my face and my jawline are clearing up nicely. :dance: My t-zone however has been breaking out like a thing possesed ever since starting spiro. Last week it seemed I was waking up every morning to a new cyst on my forehead and chin. It's so strange how the acne has immigrated, I mean I normally do get acne on my t-zone, but it's usually one of my less bad areas.

I was getting a bit worried that spiro was making me depressed, but for now I'm going to blame the acne. I feel great in my self otherwise, no side effects at all.

The exact same thing happened to me also! Within the first month of using Spiro, I had the WORST acne of my life...absolutely awful. I couldn't go outside it was so awful. Hang in there Pink, it's been about 4 months for me now and I'm pretty much completely clear! (few scars from the inital awful breakout). You should definitley stay on it though...I think getting off of it could even make things worse. What do you use on your face? Cleanser, makeup, moisturizer? I have found that people clear up when they start using milder cleansers like Cetaphil and moisturizers like Aveeno...my Derm told me to use them and it has made a HUGE difference. All that clearasil, neutragena stuff was horrible to my skin. Also, the only makeup I use now is Everday Minerals which is the best thing ever! All that other makeup (Clinique, Covergirl, Loreal, anything at a drug store would break me out like crazy (besides expensive Lancome :) ). Definitley hang in there though and we know what you are going through! And it sucks, but it will get better :)

That's great emn! I'll just keep taking these pills and try to stay positive and visualize clear skin in a few months! :D

So how long did it take before you saw the first signs of improvement in your skin? Like how many weeks in would you say your skin was better than before spiro?

I agree neutrogena is simply horrible :evil: ...I used that orange crap when I was about 16 and got the most terrible rash on my face. My skin is extremely sensitive. That's why I had to quit BP; it helped the acne but it was just killing my skin! Now all I use is cetaphil bar cleanser, Emu oil, and a glycolic acid 10% cream at night (to help with these dreadful chicken skin clogged pores). I do use Revlon makeup, but there's no question of me going w/o foundation. I won't let anyone see me without foundation - not even myself if I can avoid it cause I get so depressed looking at all these fire engine red zits.

Cetaphil or CeraVe.....the best stuff you can use on your face!!!!

I use a spot concealer on my zits and then use Pur Minerals powder foundation and bronzer and find that it covers better than any liquid foundation, not to mention that mineral makeup is much better on your face that the liquid stuff.

That's great emn! I'll just keep taking these pills and try to stay positive and visualize clear skin in a few months! :D

So how long did it take before you saw the first signs of improvement in your skin? Like how many weeks in would you say your skin was better than before spiro?

I agree neutrogena is simply horrible :evil: ...I used that orange crap when I was about 16 and got the most terrible rash on my face. My skin is extremely sensitive. That's why I had to quit BP; it helped the acne but it was just killing my skin! Now all I use is cetaphil bar cleanser, Emu oil, and a glycolic acid 10% cream at night (to help with these dreadful chicken skin clogged pores). I do use Revlon makeup, but there's no question of me going w/o foundation. I won't let anyone see me without foundation - not even myself if I can avoid it cause I get so depressed looking at all these fire engine red zits.

I'd say it was a good 1 1/2 months before I saw improvement. I mean after I broke out in places I never had before, I didn't break out there again. I've been suffering from acne for over 15 years now, and consider myself pretty much and expert when it comes to what breaks me out (certain foods, makeups and even shampoo and conditioners) and if I could give you ANY advice Pink, it would be to stop using Loreal makeup. I know exactly what you mean about wearing foundation, but that stuff was not made for our type of skin. Even the acne foundation or sensitive skin stuff is still so bad for people who break out consistantly. What I use to do when I had to wear foundation all the time, is buy Lancome. That didn't break me out and the Tient Idole provides wonderful coverage. I know it's expensive ( I think $30-$40) but what I would do then is buy the cheaper eye shadows, eyeliners, lipsticks and such to make up for how much I was spending on my foundation. It is so worth it to spend the extra money on a good foundation that will not break you out. I use Everyday Minerals now and love it...but the best coverage I ever got from a foundation was Lancomes Tient Idole ( I don't need as much coverage now since I"m clear so I stopped buying it). When I was just starting my Duac and Tazorac creams, my face was so red and broken out, the Tient Idole is the only thing I could get to cover it, and it was really good to my skin. Loreal, Covergirl, Almay and all that other stuff is made for women who's skin is not sensitive and NEVER breaks out, I learned that the hard way. I would get so mad because my roomates in college with perfect skin would spend 5 bucks on foundations while I was spending $30 or so. And then when I would see my skin was looking good, and I didn't have the money for Lancome, and would go buy Loreal or Covergirl, sure enough one week later my skin was completely broken out. The best advice I could give you is to watch what you put on your face, because it is SO important when you're prone to break outs. Just a little advice :)

I'd say it was a good 1 1/2 months before I saw improvement. I mean after I broke out in places I never had before, I didn't break out there again. I've been suffering from acne for over 15 years now, and consider myself pretty much and expert when it comes to what breaks me out (certain foods, makeups and even shampoo and conditioners) and if I could give you ANY advice Pink, it would be to stop using Loreal makeup. I know exactly what you mean about wearing foundation, but that stuff was not made for our type of skin. Even the acne foundation or sensitive skin stuff is still so bad for people who break out consistantly. What I use to do when I had to wear foundation all the time, is buy Lancome. That didn't break me out and the Tient Idole provides wonderful coverage. I know it's expensive ( I think $30-$40) but what I would do then is buy the cheaper eye shadows, eyeliners, lipsticks and such to make up for how much I was spending on my foundation. It is so worth it to spend the extra money on a good foundation that will not break you out. I use Everyday Minerals now and love it...but the best coverage I ever got from a foundation was Lancomes Tient Idole ( I don't need as much coverage now since I"m clear so I stopped buying it). When I was just starting my Duac and Tazorac creams, my face was so red and broken out, the Tient Idole is the only thing I could get to cover it, and it was really good to my skin. Loreal, Covergirl, Almay and all that other stuff is made for women who's skin is not sensitive and NEVER breaks out, I learned that the hard way. I would get so mad because my roomates in college with perfect skin would spend 5 bucks on foundations while I was spending $30 or so. And then when I would see my skin was looking good, and I didn't have the money for Lancome, and would go buy Loreal or Covergirl, sure enough one week later my skin was completely broken out. The best advice I could give you is to watch what you put on your face, because it is SO important when you're prone to break outs. Just a little advice :)

Ok sorry when I was saying "Loreal" above, I meant "Revlon" :)

emn, thanks so much for that info about Lancome! I'll certainly have a look at their foundations. I'd actually been on the lookout for a better quality foundation. The main reason I've been using stuff like Revlon and Max Factor, even though I know they can't be that great for my skin is the good coverage. Most high end foundations I've looked into make me go "well, what a lovely foundation - if you already have perfect skin and want to make yourself even more perfect" :evil:. And if there's one thing I need right now it's coverage. I have the type of skin that literally shows up EVERYTHING, you know that really pale, translucent, paper thin skin? Well every bit of redness and swelling shows up so that each zit looks like 10 times worse on me than on most people (or so my BDD mind tells me anyhow). So you can just imagine how flattering all these bright red boils are :boohoo: . Another problem is a lot of lines just don't have a shade pale enough for me. I want to start using a mineral foundation when I get to the point where I'm just covering redmarks but right now stuff like Bareminerals is just too sheer.

I also learned the hard way about what I put on my face. I used to have dermatitis on my face as well from using every new harsh wash or lotion that came on to the market, but since I've started using Cetaphil and natural oils like emu and jojoba that has completely cleared up! I take fish oil internally which I think helps too.

I'm two months into spiro today and it's hard to tell whether my skin is improving yet or not...because the type of acne I'm getting has totally changed. Before spiro I'd have maybe 3-4 painful cystic zits while the rest of my face looked clear. Now I haven't had a cyst in almost 2 weeks but I have a rash of much more mild surface acne over my whole face! So plenty of change but the net result is the same - my skin looks like hell. I just look so well, zitty. I've actually been feeling really down about my skin lately, I really hope I see some definite improvement soon. I am starting to look better when I wear makeup now, like I feel I look 'presentable' at least. I dunno, maybe it's just cause I bought a better foundation! (Lancome mousse) I also have hundreds of red marks, but I'm just glad they are not scars at least, pretty lucky for having had cystic acne.

Any long term spiro users think this change sounds like things are starting to improve?

I think we've mirrored each other in our use, but I have to say that 2 months into my spiro use and my skin is SO much better now. I think the antibiotics helped a ton. Did you ever get that prescription? Also, I do think the foundation may be breaking you out. I haven't heard good things about Lancome mousse. Have you tried mineral makeup? I think we already talked about this. I conceal all red marks and the few little tiny zits with almay concealer and then apply the mineral makeup to even out skin tone. It looks great (at least for the first half of the day.....we are having record setting heat waves) and I know it's not heavy and clogging my skin.

I have also read that it can take 6-8 weeks to see an improvement on spiro, so maybe you just need to stick to it for just a couple more weeks to see.

I finally have an appointment with my derm on Monday (yay!) so I'll be able to discuss antibiotics and increasing my spiro dosage ( I have to get my potassium levels checked as well). I guess I'll find out then if my progress is normal, sometimes others can see more progress than ourselves I think. One other annoying thing is that I've been getting breakthrough bleeding despite faithfully taking Yaz at the same time each day the whole time. grrrr.

I'm trying to just use foundation where I need it but it's hard cause that's like my whole face haha. Unfortunately mineral makeup won't conceal my zits, I did try it, but I plan on buying it when I'm only covering red mark cause it does conceal those very well. I can't wait until I don't have to use anything anymore quite honestly.

Anyhoo, if spiro is not working properly i'll go the accutane route.

Well I guess I'm my own worst critic cause the derm thinks I am making good progress on spiro! :dance: - My acne is now much more superficial, I'm only getting pustules now as opposed to the deep cysts and nodules I had before. Even the dreaded clogged pores are starting to show some improvement, they are smaller and there's less of them. She did agree with me though that my acne looks 'worse than it is' due to my skin type...great huh? So yeah, even though I still think my skin looks bad I should have good skin in about two months. She also prescribed Doxy and Retin A.

So this is how my regimen looks now

-spiro 100mg (increased from 50)

-Yaz

-Doxy 50mg (please let this work :pray:)

-Retin A

-Cleansing with cetaphil antibacterial bar twice a day.

Hi KNOW exactly what you're going through. I've been on Spiro for 3 weeks and I hate even touching my face! It's all bumpy and pushing through all these, clogged pores, like you. So readng your email actually makes me feel like, "ok, this is normal" I've tried to get my derm to prescrib an aniti-biotic but couldn't get in until next week. I'm going to hide until then. :ninja: I pick too! My face looks worse than ever! I can't help it. I"ve actually been taken pictures to document everything. I'm also on Tazarac which is drying me out like crazy. It's really depressing. and what i hate more is someone saying "its not that bad" PLEASE!!! It's bad, especially because it's on me! :(

what mg are you on with the sprio? I'm taken right now 25mg.

I am so happy she put on you on doxy. I hope it works for you like it's worked for me. I am on 200 mg though....100mg in the am, and 100mg in the pm. I saw a change in about a week!!!! Now I am not sure what is working, the doxy or the spiro.

Also, I have gotten a few little breakouts and have used coconut oil.....yes, pure coconut oil. My cousin, who has perfect skin, uses it when she gets a zit or two and it helps clear it up fast and I have to say.....it has worked wonders for me too, especially when I pick. I read that pure coconut oil has antiseptic qualities. Just putting it out there.

Keep me posted on if the doxy is working for you.

Loci, is that coconut oil orally or topical? I've heard good things about coconut oil, it's supposed to be an antifungal as well and has some type of fat we don't get enough of with a western diet.

According to my derm Doxy is special because unlike Tetra and Mino it's also an anti-inflammatory. The reason I'm only taking 50mg is because unfortunantly I'm not very tolerent of antibiotics...I can increase it to 100mg if I don't get digestive problems and yeast infections.

Kathy: Yep, Spiro (and Yaz) have a very strong purging effect - for the first 2 months it looked like every single clogged pore was practically bursting out of my skin! Is this what you are getting? Around week eight it started looking smoother, but it's still not totally gone. It sent me into a picking frenzy! I've resigned myself to the fact that the only way to cure my picking is to have no acne, I don't have much self-control, lol :badgrin: . I know sooooo much what you mean by yes, it is terrible, especially on me! I mean I see some acne on others and it really doensn't look bad at all, I wouldn't even have noticed it if I did not have acne myself which makes me scan others complexions in a paranoid sort of way :shifty: . On me, however, even a quite small zit can just look hideous and take over my facial features somehow. I expected the derm to say it was all in my head, but no, she agreed with me :confused: ok, rant over.

Hello ladies

Just wanted to say I absolutely relate -- its annoying when people are always saying "its not that bad" I mean I understand that they want to reassure me, but we all know when its on you, it IS that bad!

Anyways, Ive just finished 3 months on Spiro going up from 50 to 150mg. Still my skin is purging :( Ive also started tane a month ago at a low dose of 30 mg/day. I think that may've had it own IB. I was just soo worried that I would give Spiro the 6 months and not have it work for me and my doctor, who noticed how frustrated I was, agreed. I have PCOS though so hopefully it will work for me and may be I can even quit the tane a little bit earlier (its causing me to lose more hair than I would like)

Anyways, apologies for the long story -- just wanted to share :)

Hopefully our pores will be clear soon!

emn, thanks so much for that info about Lancome! I'll certainly have a look at their foundations. I'd actually been on the lookout for a better quality foundation. The main reason I've been using stuff like Revlon and Max Factor, even though I know they can't be that great for my skin is the good coverage. Most high end foundations I've looked into make me go "well, what a lovely foundation - if you already have perfect skin and want to make yourself even more perfect" :evil:. And if there's one thing I need right now it's coverage. I have the type of skin that literally shows up EVERYTHING, you know that really pale, translucent, paper thin skin? Well every bit of redness and swelling shows up so that each zit looks like 10 times worse on me than on most people (or so my BDD mind tells me anyhow). So you can just imagine how flattering all these bright red boils are :boohoo: . Another problem is a lot of lines just don't have a shade pale enough for me. I want to start using a mineral foundation when I get to the point where I'm just covering redmarks but right now stuff like Bareminerals is just too sheer.

I also learned the hard way about what I put on my face. I used to have dermatitis on my face as well from using every new harsh wash or lotion that came on to the market, but since I've started using Cetaphil and natural oils like emu and jojoba that has completely cleared up! I take fish oil internally which I think helps too.

Hey girl, I know what you mean about foundations being too sheer. I've been on spiro for about a month 1/2 now and the IT sucks. Strangely though, I dont have that much anxiety over it for two reasons. The first is that I KNOW that it will work in another couple of months. I have complete confidance that it will. That really takes a load off. The second reason is this.... Sheercover makeup!! seriously! when I first started the IT breakout, and I have pretty bad acne anyway, I tried bare minerals. It is a great, light makeup, but it didn't give me the coverage I needed. My friend (whose skin is naturally clear, mind you) told me about Sheercover. I was secrectly resentful towards her at this point because she was strongly suggesting this makeup and she had no idea what going through acne was like. One night I was up late reading and the tv was on in the background when I heard about sheercover. I look up, watch it and ordered it. It's easier for me now to wait for spiro to work because of this makeup. don't let the "sheer" part of the name fool you. It's the concealer part of the makeup that is the miracle. Try it! the starter kit is around 30 bucks and with it comes an instruction video, all the brushes, two different colors so you definately have a match, mascara, a little compact of glosses, and face wash and moisterizer (which I don't use). Look it up on the net and you'll see it all.

As for skin care. I used BP for years, and a couple of months ago, I started noticing a deepening of lines and wrinkles on my face (im 26). Thats when I started to really realize how much it actually harms your skin. I was really scared not to use it because lord knew what my skin would do then. BP never made me clear anyway, so I stopped using it and went out and got Alba pineapple enzyme cleanser (its organic) and started moisturizing with two drops of Dans jojoba oil (love it)twice a day. My skin didn't clear but it didn't get worse either. But the lines are gone and my face feels soft and hydrated instead of dry and flakey. I still have acne, but the end is in sight and my true skin under my acne feels great, and now I have a makeup that allows me to breath easier everyday while I wait. Please hang in there and keep me updated of your progress.

pink, I am using it topically on my zits. I will not put it all over my face as I am afraid to breakout (I know, it doesn't make sense, does it), but I do use it on the places that i have picked at and it seems to heal fairly quickly, considering. You can buy virgin coconut oil at your nearest health food store. My cousin gave me some of hers to try and it is so far working on healing those problem areas quickly.

Now if I could only find something to fade those old red marks.....

sunrise, thanks for sharing your story. I completely get the "it's not so bad" lies that i get from family and friends. Honestly, if I am out at night and it's nice and dark, my face doesn't really look all that bad. But watch out if I step out in the sunlight. It's not a pretty sight, not to mention that I have to wear a lot of makeup to make myself look nice. And we all know that a lot of makeup looks horrible in sunlight. I really hope the spiro works for you too. It may be 3 more months, so stick with it. Have you too considered antibiotics for the time being?

Hi ladies. Well I've now been on Doxy for a week, and although I've still been getting (smallish) new zits, my whole face certainly seems to have calmed down and the red marks don't look so angry. I do think it's helping so I'll keep taking it for now. My face is looking quite good today (for me, lol), at least I thought so until I had to sit in front of the mirror under fluoro lights at the hair salon. Oh man those lights make my skin look soooo bad, shows up every tiny zit, flake, scab multiplied by 10. I'd been putting off going for this very reason but eventually I had to go. Both the hairdresser and colorist had flawless skin even under that awful light. Of course they do haha! :rolleyes: But in a normal mirror my skin's possibly the best it's been since I started spiro.

Hollaback I think you're right about BP - it can damage skin. On BP it literally looked like all the skin on my face had just died. I also developed deep wrinkles on my forehead which I did NOT have before. (I'm 24) And it wasn't 'just dryness' like they try to tell you - I was moisturizing several times a day! Plus it got worse the longer I used BP. Even my boyfriend said "um, what are you doing to your face? Maybe you should stop." and we all know how observant guys are. This change in skin texture lasted several months after I'd stopped using BP so it was not 'just dryness'. I might even have put up with this if BP had ever cleared me but it never really did; it just kept the acne at bay. I'm not knocking Dan's regimen, I'm sure it works miracles for lots of people but my skin just couldn't handle it, plus it is not as effective on cystic acne like mine. I'm now having another shot at Retin-A, starting very slowly.

Loci: thanks for that I'm going to pick up some coconut oil and try it! My family never gave me the 'it's not so bad' stuff, they were more 'OMG, your poor skin!'. At first this sound refreshingly honest, but then they give me REALLY annoying advice like 'have you tried ProActive?' or 'Are you eating enough fresh fruit and veg?' and 'are you getting enough sleep?'. AS IF I haven't already tried all those obvious things :wall: grrrrrr

Well scrap everything I said about my skin improving. I got another cyst, just above my left eyebrow. Also I'm still waking up to at least one new non-cystic pop-able zit every day. Even though these are not cysts they are just so....angry and painful, more so than the zits I got pre- spiro. I think perhaps I've got less clogged pores than before, I dunno at this point, maybe it's wishful thinking. OH, I've also got loads of picking scabs. I just hate how my skin is so easily damaged, I'll just ever so lightly pick something and that's it...a huuuuuge nasty fugly scab for the next week. I think I've got some genetic abnormality that causes fragile skin. Or maybe abnormally hard fingernails :shock: My skin basically looks like Amy Winehouse's, except I live a total heath nut lifestyle. Just brilliant, isn't it?

Looks like I'll have to resort to accutane after all. :cry:

How long have you been on spiro pinksushi? I've been on it for almost two months now and I'm getting crazy breakouts. I've never really had cystic acne, but I sure do now. Thank goodness I have sheercover or I would be devistated. Hang in there pinksushi. Don't go the accutane route just yet. It would take awhile for that to start working too and by that time your spiro would probably be working great. Either way you'd have to wait. We acne sufferers know what patience is.