Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First off I started getting mild acne ever since I was 14 , I finally cleared my acne at my current age of 22 in 3 months!!

I've been using Neutrogena's Deep Clean Facial wash ever since I was 15 . In my opinion Neutrogena products should be banned ! To give you some info I'm going to break down what I've learned not only about skin care but the industry that caters to skin care; The cosmetic industry. The cosmetic industry is a multi-billion dollar industry....forget the Tobacco industry,the fastfood industry , even the pharmaceutical companies, the cosmetic industry has gone unchecked and continues to go unchecked ...they have been putting ingredients in our products that not only are known allergens but that also cause endocrine,prostate,thyroid problems and even cancer. So what are these ingredients??

1. Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate : This is the big one...the ultimate bad boy. You probably have seen this in just about every product in your drug store and in your very own bathroom. It is a foaming agent and a surfactant that is used in shampoos,conditioners,toothpastes,shaving creams,make-up,deodrant,etc. They are they main reason people get acne in my opinion. They are used not only in cosmetic products but also used to clean machines in factories and clean floors in houses and buildings....and we use this stuff on our faces and bodies???!!!!

2.Parabens: You probably have heard of these too....they comprise of butyl,methyl,ethyl and propyl parabens, they are used as preservatives. When a company makes a product..say for example a shampoo bottle...this bottle has to be transported from the factory to the retail outlet and then sits on the shelf until it is sold to the consumer who may use it over the period of a couple of months to a year.This product has to be preserved and therefore chemical preservatives are used .Now parabens are known to increase estrogen levels in the body and remain in the body after 9 hours of usage.

3.Propylene Glycol: this chemical is present in deodorants and is a known allergen and skin irritant.

So over the last two years my acne was getting worse and worse and my face was looking like a land mine with craters popping up everywhere. I went to several dermatologists(clueless so-called doctors...how exactly do you become a dermatologist...I mean do you go to med shcool...but they know absolutely nothing about skin care...) I'm sorry for trailing off topic.

Anyways so I had been to the derm-dummy for the umpteenth time and yet again he prescribed another med, based on the last derm-dodo I had visited, which by the way didn't work.So fed up I just lost it and stopped using everything and anything on my body and face. That's right I mean everything. I stopped using a cleanser,toner,moisturizer,sunscreensoap,shampoo,conditioner,anti-dandruff shampoo,even deodorant!

All I did for the first month was wash my face with hot-warm water in the sink in the morning and immediately wash with cold water after. At night I work turned on the shower and shower with warm water and then finish with cold water.I did this for a month and let me tell you it wasn;t easy. I purged like crazy!! Places where I thought I never had acne (my forehead) I started getting acne . One on top of the other...I think that my face just lost it and my acne was hiding beneath the surface. This was the most embarrassing point in my life because I had lots of meetings and presentations to give and i would look like a Chernobyl survivor.My family and friends were all telling me to go to the derm-dipstick. But I refused ...I kept saying that this has got to work...stick with it...you never stick with it to see the end result.The second month my face just improved drastically. I mean it was almost like I woke up one morning and looked up at the mirror(I never used to look in the mirror, because i hated what I saw) and my acne had gone!! At first I just thought that it was me ..but people all around me commenting and asking .."what did you do" and "I didn't want to say anything before,but now that your face has cleared up".

I still wasn't using any products on my face or on my body..the only thing i was doing was shaving. I was shaving with Nivea Cooling shaving gel and that too only once every 10 days and with a safety razor or a Double edge razor( If you don'nt know what this is look it up it is better than the mach3,sensor and the ridiculous vibrating 5 blade fusion which i think is the biggest scam that gillette has ever pulled off...I mean it is a VIBRATING 5 BLADE RAZOR and those cartridge prices!!!!!)

In the third month I was doing a lot of research into the products I was using cleanser,shampoos,shaving creams,etc and I stumbled onto a fantastic website called www.cosmeticsdatabase.com . Now if you've never heard or visited this website it basically has a database of 200,000 popular and not so popular products and rates them on a scale of 0 to 10 on how safe the product is....0 being very safe and 10 being the worst. just about all the products that i was using and that are used my people on this board are hazardous. Visit the website and check out how safe your products are..trust me you will be surprised.

Today I use Dr.Bronners and Avalon organic products ....their products don't contain any chemicals,sufactant, parabens ,harmful preservatives and are 100% organic and certified as organic. My routine these days is:

8AM: Fill sink with warm water...wash face gently with warm water...apply Avalon Organics Aloe shaving cream....shave with DE razor...take a large bowl put 3-4 drops of Dr.Bronners Hemp Magic Tea Tree Oil Castile soap.Then take refrigerated ice cold bottled water and pour the water into the bowl and wash my face with the water.pat dry with towel.

At night I use a bath towel and put a couple of drops of Dr.Bronners Liquied soap on the towel and wash my body with the towel. I then put 2-3 drops of the liquid soap in my habd and gently wash my face and rise off.

That's it folks. Not only am I acne free but my red marks have faded almost 65-70% because of the ingredients in Dr.Bronners products...it contains, Organic hemp seed oil,coconut oil,olive oil,jojoba oil,tea tree oil,vitamin E and citric acid...that's all. The citric acid is a AHA and I think along with the other essential oils have contributed to the fading of my red marks. As for deodorants,shampoo,conditioner, even toothpaste..i have replaced all my products with either Dr.Bronners or Avalon Organics products. I never have to worry about my acne and i remember when I used to stand under fluorescent light my skin looked ghastly. Not any more..in fact i now use the fluorescent light to see how good my skin looks now. So try it and if you have any questions ...just ask.

post-78908-1214989297_thumb.jpg

post-78908-1214989297_thumb.jpg

Wow, very interesting.

I just had a look through my arsenal of products and found only one that didn't contain Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulphate. After a little bit of Googling I confirmed your accusations, scary.

I really need to get a debit card so I can order products over the net, then I might look into getting the ones you talk about.

Nice post. Simple, organic regimens are definitely the way to go. I still haven't found one that clears me 100% but I'm getting there. I may give that soap you mentioned a try.

i've just started breaking out on my temples. they were clear until i started putting some crap on them.

i also noticed my neck only became acne prone when i would mess around with it, otherwise it was clear.

The thing I've noticed about the people on this board is that they all want a placebo to cure their acne...there isn't one!

As far the 'cleanser' is concerned avoid the cleanser like the plague. Most cleansers have salicylic acid,benzoic acid and Triethylamine. These are chemical compounds that are toxic in large amounts and mess with the PH level of our skin and oh yeah not to mention can kill you in large quantities.

So why do cosmetic companies use it in cleansers?? - because it's cheap..plain and simple as that. Any large scale cosmetic company is focused on profits (well all companies are but..) these large companies have shareholders and their interests lie elsewhere. So they market a cheap product that just makes the situation worse.

For instance when people buy products , any product ...they look at the face of the cover or the front cover...they never seem to look at the back and I don't blame them..how many people know what Peg-90 is and why is it in my toothpaste?? They read the front cover because it says "suitable for oily skin or dry skin', "deep cleansing" , "exfoliating properties"...yada yada. But nobody looks at the ingredients to see ah ...they put so and so in my cleanser..now why did they do that??

One thing people can't seem to part with is the fact that when they have to clean themselves, they have to scrub away all the oil from their bodies to feel clean. In fact that's what the majority of all the products we use do..they strip away the oil and therefore our bodies have to produce oil internally, coupled with our hormones they lead to skin problems.

In my opinion this is what these products do - Cleansers mess with the PH level because they strip away the oil and are packed with alcohols that dry away skin, next is a moisturizer which clots the pores with synthetic moisturizers( oh yeah ..you didn't know that did you..the moisturizers they use in large scale cosmetic products are synthetic moisturizers..again because their cheap), and then last but not least you have to protect yourself from the sun so you slap on some sunscreen...along with the ingredients in the cleanser , the moisturizer and the sunscreen..you have a cocktail from skin hell!!

So when your skin looks like it's about to die ...you go to the derm..who prescribes some meds based on your previous meds...he knows nothing about your symptoms ..except from what you tell him...and how much do you know about your skin????

Nice post. Simple, organic regimens are definitely the way to go. I still haven't found one that clears me 100% but I'm getting there. I may give that soap you mentioned a try.

Is Dr. Bronner's really okay on the face? I think I tried out one of their bars a couple years ago, and didn't like it. Also used to wash my hands with the liquid version, and found it was quite drying, though it seemed to get everything off very well. Still, I'm worried the oils in the Bronner's soap will irritate.

My current regimen includes Neutrogena, but just their glycerin soap. Are plain, fragrance-free glycerin bar soaps harmful as well? It's basically the simplest thing I could find.

Duchamp - First off....what products were you using prior to trying Dr.bronners soaps and what products were you using in conjunction with Dr.bronners soaps. A lot of the ingredients don't mix well with other ingredients. After all these are all chemicals..some mix and some don't !

I have attached a link to give you more information about your current neutrogena products:

www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?brand_id=434&category=bar+soap

In my opinion AVOID NEUTROGENA products like the plague!!

Secondly..why are you afraid of oils?? This seems to be the general consensus with people suffering from acne and with dermatologists. The derms always tell you to avoid oils, because it will make you break out..when in fact it is the complete opposite....have you ever seen how quickly alcohol evaporates and when it evaporates it absorbs all the moisture from the surface..therefore the oil from your face.(I'm talking about cleansers)

I've been using Dr.Bronners liquid soap for two and a half months now . This stuff is amazing..I have very oily skin and hair. I've suffered from face,chest,back and scalp acne.Ever since I started using their products, my skin is non oily and i've had 1 zit in two and a half months on my entire body.

Here's my advice to you - first off as soon as you change products your skin is going to react and therefore you may think that the product is irritating your skin. This I can guarantee!! So here is what you do...Go cold turkey. Don't use anything on your face,hair,body...if you have to shave ..stick with something like nivea cooling gel...but otherwise don't use any products.

Second - Your skin will start to breathe and therefore you will purge - this i can guarantee too. For some of my friends they only purged for two weeks...for me however it took a month! Then once you are totally in the clear(no acne) start to introduce Dr.Bronners soaps(avoid the peppermint..use the tea tree oil liquid soap) if the product does irritate your skin you will know exactly what is causing your acne.. there you go.

hmm, I actually tried Dr. Bronner's regular and tea tree oil soap on my body before and i found that it made me break out. Can I be sensitive to an ingredient there? I've been wanting to try Chagrin valley soaps on my face and they use those kinds of oils in their soap (they're bar though). I hope I can use them.

i've thought about trying clearing my acne that way...but i'm 17, so i think that mine is more likely than not connected to hormones. so i wonder if it would be wise for me to just leave it completely alone. My cleanser is only rated 2, and my moisturizer was 1-2, so they can't be doing much harm.

i don't use any soap/cleanser on my chest (just moisturize after showers), and it has been pretty much clear for 6 months now. i also noticed that my upper back is more clear when i don't use anything at all on it, so there is definitely something to be said for not using any (or certain) products.

why is it necessary to go "cold turkey"? why can't you just switch to the good, non-irritating products?

why is it necessary to go "cold turkey"? why can't you just switch to the good, non-irritating products?

Well, because I don't know how your skin will react to the new products. The thing is I cleared up my acne by going cold turkey and then introducing products that i had researched thoroughly and then started using them. By not using any products on your face...your face will clear up..then you can experiment with new products to see how your body responds.

i've thought about trying clearing my acne that way...but i'm 17, so i think that mine is more likely than not connected to hormones. so i wonder if it would be wise for me to just leave it completely alone. My cleanser is only rated 2, and my moisturizer was 1-2, so they can't be doing much harm.

i don't use any soap/cleanser on my chest (just moisturize after showers), and it has been pretty much clear for 6 months now. i also noticed that my upper back is more clear when i don't use anything at all on it, so there is definitely something to be said for not using any (or certain) products.

For the majority of people suffering from acne it's hormonal...cause when a person hits puberty their hormones start acting up ...and when you mix it with products that contain chemicals that mess with your hormones ....you can definitely expect skin problems. If your products are working for you and you are happy with it, then stick with it. "Never mess with something that is working for you"

I stopped using my tea tree Bronner's soap bar because it was way too drying, I think. It's been a couple years since I tried it. You're probably right about the oils - I don't think they're comedogenic on their own - but Bronner's soap just seems to strip my skin of all moisture. I remember my hands would get all crackly after using the liquid soap on my hands on a daily basis.

I generally don't like Neutrogena's skin care line either, though they do have some good night cream. Their acne stuff is crap. This is some of the mildest and most effective soap I've used, though, and I happen to really like it. Didn't know it had like 40 carcinogenic ingredients in it, but that sight seems to list pretty much everything I've seen at the drugstore as a health hazard.

I might look into the Bronner's soaps because I like the way they smell. I wouldn't mind the dryness too much because my skin's gotten REALLY oily. Does this stuff lather? I forget.

I have never used the bar soaps...but I've never had any problems with the liquid soaps. I also have very oily skin and happen to live in a very hot humid climate. When i use bronners soaps my skin is neither oily nor dry ..it feels just right. Also maybe you're using too much of the stuff ..your only supposed to use a couple of drops of the stuff at one wash.

And oh yeah...it does lather.

I can't help but point out, that only one of the ingredients that you listed is actually in Neutrogena's Deep Clean Facial Cleanser. That would be the Proplyene Glycol and every study done with it has found it to be NON-irritating.

Your call to ban a product because it doesn't work for you is completely asinine.

Stop using wikipedia as your only source for information.

I can't help but point out, that only one of the ingredients that you listed is actually in Neutrogena's Deep Clean Facial Cleanser. That would be the Proplyene Glycol and every study done with it has found it to be NON-irritating.

Your call to ban a product because it doesn't work for you is completely asinine.

Stop using wikipedia as your only source for information.

That's true ...But I also used Neutrogena's Deep Clean Toner and their Oil free cleanser. I didn't give a complete break down of all the products I was using. But for your info, in my Colgate regular mint toothpaste..they used sodium laureth sulphate, in my palmolive body wash they used parabens and SLS, in my pantene shampoo they used SLS, in my Nizoral anti dandruff shampoo they used SLS, in my shaving creams they used parabens, in my deodorant they used propelyne glycol.

I never said they should ban the product...I said that people suffering from mild acne should avoid it like the plague.

Plus if you read my entire post you would have seen that I had mentioned a website called www.cosmeticdatabase.com - which is where I got most, but not all my information from. I never once referenced wikipedia!

But hey if you want to go ahead and use neutrogena or products containing propelyne glycol..be my guest..I'm not putting a gun to your head.

Yeah buddy, why would you buy a soap when your "just washing with water" cleared you up? Where's the logic there? Hmmmm? :think:

Well again, if you read my earlier posts you would have seen that I washed with just water and it did "clear me up" completely. But i still had red marks left from acne that i wanted to clear up. I have changed my whole arsenal of products and don't have any problems with the current products that I am using. After the first month that my acne cleared up I introduced Bronners soaps slowly to see how I would react and then when my skin didn't i continued with them. After about two weeks my red marks faded by about 30%. They are still there today but have faded considerably by about 70%. Also I have very oily skin and hair and the soaps and conditioners that i used today seem to take care of that problem. I have changed all my products from toothpaste,soap,conditioner,shampoo,shaving cream and even deodorant to organic safe products that are listed on cosmeticdatabase.com

Basically, I have the same opinions of Neutrogena and other drugstore products that Parker does. Anyone with acne-prone skin should read labels, ask questions and be hyper-aware of what's going on their faces.

That said, I'd like to point out that the pH of Dr. Bronner's soaps is 8.9 ..... pretty alkaline, enough to irritate many people's skin. (Most true soaps are alkaline, because the saponification process involves adding an alkali (potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide, for instance) to fats.)

So if any of you are planning to use these products on your face long-term, I suggest using some type of acidic toner immediately after washing to neutralize the alkalinity and get your skin back into the normal range -- somewhere between 4 - 6.5. For people who are very keen on the all-natural approach, I suggest a dilute solution of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

Personally, I think it's best to use a slightly acidic cleanser in the first place -- or at least a neutral one. But if a product seems to be working for you, I understand the desire to stick with it.

For more information on product and skin surface pH and why it's important, especially if you have acne-prone skin .... read the pinned post in this forum.

Basically, I have the same opinions of Neutrogena and other drugstore products that Parker does. Anyone with acne-prone skin should read labels, ask questions and be hyper-aware of what's going on their faces.

That said, I'd like to point out that the pH of Dr. Bronner's soaps is 8.9 ..... pretty alkaline, enough to irritate many people's skin. (Most true soaps are alkaline, because the saponification process involves adding an alkali (potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide, for instance) to fats.)

So if any of you are planning to use these products on your face long-term, I suggest using some type of acidic toner immediately after washing to neutralize the alkalinity and get your skin back into the normal range -- somewhere between 4 - 6.5. For people who are very keen on the all-natural approach, I suggest a dilute solution of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar.

Personally, I think it's best to use a slightly acidic cleanser in the first place -- or at least a neutral one. But if a product seems to be working for you, I understand the desire to stick with it.

For more information on product and skin surface pH and why it's important, especially if you have acne-prone skin .... read the pinned post in this forum.

Actually LionQueen, your absolutely right about dr.bronners soaps being 'pretty alkaline'...but they also add Citric acid in their soaps as a preservative. Citric acid is an acid ,a AHA and acts as a toner and skin lightener. i haven't been using Dr.bronners soaps for very long (almost 3 months now) but I must say that I'm a happy with the ingredients in their castile soaps and the results i've had with them. I'm not endorsing the product ...I'm just saying that it worked for me.

Hey parkerD,

Thanks for sharing. Although I don't have oily, but dry sensitive skin, I've found myself in the same situation, strongly feeling like the best thing would simply be not messing with the skin at all. And really that's what most of the stuff recommended against acne seems to do. Definitely giving Dr. Bronner's a try.

And as you say; the dermatologists. One could wonder if most of them get their licenses in the their cereals boxes...

Actually LionQueen, your absolutely right about dr.bronners soaps being 'pretty alkaline'...but they also add Citric acid in their soaps as a preservative. Citric acid is an acid ,a AHA and acts as a toner and skin lightener. i haven't been using Dr.bronners soaps for very long (almost 3 months now) but I must say that I'm a happy with the ingredients in their castile soaps and the results i've had with them. I'm not endorsing the product ...I'm just saying that it worked for me.

Citric acid isn't effective as a toner and skin lightener unless it is at a high enough concentration and a low enough pH. I don't know exactly what the concentration of citric acid is in these soaps ..... but the overall pH is so high, the citric acid can't possibly be functioning as you'd expect an AHA to act on your skin. As you said, it's in there as a preservative -- and that's all it's doing. Someone who wants to use citric acid on their skin and get its effects needs to get a low pH formulation that's actually intended for skin care.

Again, I am not trying to talk you out of using these soaps. But anyone who's thinking of using them should know what they're working with.

I think this is a great idea.

I used to have ALOT of chest/shoulder/back acne (along with face) and I was doing these ridiculous 3-5 step regimens to get rid of the acne. Like wash/scrub/tone/apply this cream that cream BP aloe etc. Crazy shit.

So I stopped doing ANYTHING to my chest/back/shoulders. I dont even wash those areas with anything but water. Well a couple months later it was the same it, its like I woke up one day and was like "wow my body acne is GONE!".

I kept on doing regimens to my face, with BP and different cleansers an shit. Well I figured out my folly. Now I just cleanse my face with HONEY and a little olive oil on a moist cotton ball to wipe away the grime and keep my face moisturized and my skin is noticeably clearing on my face now too.

less is more for me

This is an intriguing thread :think:

parkerD, would you mind sharing what Dr. Bronner products, e.g. toothpaste, shampoo, deoderant, you have switched to? I live in the UK so would rather source these products here if I could.

I do tend to get more painful spots around my mouth area so I'm going to try switching toothpaste to see if that helps. Also, I've been thinking about replacing my shampoo/conditioner for a while because the amount of chemicals in the mass market brands really puts me off, and does nothing for bacne.

Thanks,

-AudiTy =o