Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Some_Guy

Folliculitis....How many of you...

I have a question. How many people here suffer from Folliculltis and....were treated at one time or another with antibiotics? Regardless of where your Folliculitis occurs, does taking antibiotics temporarily take care of them?

What's funny (or not..) is that 1 derm I went to asked me if I was on antibiotics for a long time. They KNOW it's a factor and yet they keep people on antibiotics knowing they can't cure the side effects. I was on and off of Tetracycline for 2 years, not long after that...I developed scalp Folliculitis. I have yet to see a derm who could tell me what the cause was and how to permanently treat this. Almost all want to treat the symptoms or worse..hide the symptoms. I mean honestly...before I was on antibiotics, I didn't have to put gunk on my head and eat some special diet or drench my hair in dandruff shampoo. This is outrageous.

My current thinking is that we need to go back to the point where it occurred....when we first started taking antibiotics. What did that do to our body? It sounds like it destroys the bacteria causing the lesions however, it cuts down (and eventually annihilates) the good bacteria in your gut. Many of these bacteria are yeast and fungal antagonist. W/o them, our intestines go out of wack. I am thinking that yes, our lesions are bacterial however, that is a secondary cause. The primary cause is something out of balance in our normal flora caused by antibiotics. Can we reverse this damage.

Does anyone here have an experience with probiotics?

I'd like to hear what all of you think about this.

Cheers.

SG

I am currently on Clindamycin and it kills bacteria like you said. The folliculitis acne on my arms have dried up, leaving scabs. It looks good so far but I have only started taking this medication so I can't comment on the long term effects....yet.

Yeah I was on antibiotics (for recurrent UTI) for a couple of years before the folliculitis started. I'm pretty sure there's a link, but then again I also had dandruff and what i think was very mild folliculitis before I took antibiotics. It probably just made the imbalance way worse.

I thought my folliculitis was regular acne before I found out what it was. I'm glad I never caved and got antibiotics for it- it probably would've gotten even worse!

Yeah I was on antibiotics (for recurrent UTI) for a couple of years before the folliculitis started. I'm pretty sure there's a link, but then again I also had dandruff and what i think was very mild folliculitis before I took antibiotics. It probably just made the imbalance way worse.

I thought my folliculitis was regular acne before I found out what it was. I'm glad I never caved and got antibiotics for it- it probably would've gotten even worse!

some folliculitis is caused by yeast/fungus and antibiotics will make it WAY worse. you should check out a thread I started about different anti-fungal treatments for folliculitis. I've used different ones that have worked pretty well, and others on there are sharing their treatment plans.

Here it is:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=203945