Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IPA

I don't understand my acne

For a while now I've been thinking that my acne was related to diet and so I was avoiding sugar, or at least trying to. Over the weekend I had like 3-4 spots around my mouth (I only seem to get them around my mouth and chin now) and they were really ugly ones. Sunday night they started healing very fast. I had been eating crappy food the entire weekend - pizzas, beers, cookies, etc. The last two days I have eaten chocolate-covered raisins for breakfast (terrible, I know) and yet my skin has been clearing up dramatically.

I just don't understand it. I've eaten pretty much everything that people might react to but I've gotten no new major spots and I feel great. I've also been eating a lot of meat though. Whenever I eat meat I always feel good and energized. Maybe meat is my miracle cure :question:

I'm starting to think it's just random hormonal acne and it's uncontrollable.

I've also noticed my two older sisters have similar forms of acne, although much more minor. My one sister has little bumps on her forehead and so do I, and my other sister has bacne and so do I. But I also get random spots on my face. My brothers on the other hand have perfect skin. I guess I got shitty genes. :|

Maybe I should just give up and stop worrying about it and accept it.

:confused:

You might just be getting hormonal acne(yes males can get it too)...That may explain the random nature of your breakouts...I have it too I believe, although I never really know the exact reason for most of my breakouts, unless it's obvious(for example: getting a clogged pore after working out)...But most of my breakouts could be caused by a million different things when I think about it. I'm sure stress/anxiety and lack of sleep are high on the list too.

I'll clear up at odd times and breakout at odd times too. I don't think diet effects my acne really. I had a poor diet for a long time in high school and never got acne really, aside from the occasional zit here and there but back then I hardly even washed my face or cared about it...It's weird, I'm now 21, I've become more health aware and more aware of my skin and my looks, yet I break out more then ever. I still only have a mild case but I do get a monthly hormonal pimple it seems(I'm only assuming that's the cause but it seems logical). The pretty bad kind too...large, red and inflamed that leaves a mark usually. Other than that, I'm clear for the most part other than red/brown spots and a few small whiteheads but my skin is oddly still worse than it ever was in high school, mostly in terms of uneven skin tone.

I honestly don't know what to do for hormonal breakouts. I think the only real way to deal with them, for guys at least, is you'll just grow out of that type after a while.

You might just be getting hormonal acne(yes males can get it too)...That may explain the random nature of your breakouts...I have it too I believe, although I never really know the exact reason for most of my breakouts, unless it's obvious(for example: getting a clogged pore after working out)...But most of my breakouts could be caused by a million different things when I think about it. I'm sure stress/anxiety and lack of sleep are high on the list too.

I'll clear up at odd times and breakout at odd times too. I don't think diet effects my acne really. I had a poor diet for a long time in high school and never got acne really, aside from the occasional zit here and there but back then I hardly even washed my face or cared about it...It's weird, I'm now 21, I've become more health aware and more aware of my skin and my looks, yet I break out more then ever. I still only have a mild case but I do get a monthly hormonal pimple it seems(I'm only assuming that's the cause but it seems logical). The pretty bad kind too...large, red and inflamed that leaves a mark usually. Other than that, I'm clear for the most part other than red/brown spots and a few small whiteheads but my skin is oddly still worse than it ever was in high school, mostly in terms of uneven skin tone.

I honestly don't know what to do for hormonal breakouts. I think the only real way to deal with them, for guys at least, is you'll just grow out of that type after a while.

To be honest, I think i agree with you. I'm 20, and for the first time in my life i started breaking out during college. I was stressed about finals. Then i started stressing about pimples. Since, i have always been stressed, everyday.

For the first time, I am relaxing and i tell my self that i have great skin (power of positive thinking?). I have been doing this for a week and my skin has been good so far. I really think acne can be the side affects of an unhealthy mind and unhealthy thinking. Because even when i was clear in the last year, i would stare in the mirror basically until i foudn an imperfection.

And now, I try to never get too close to the mirror (because it doesn't matter if you can't see it from 5 feet away imo) and not stress about it.

Its so weird though, ever since i got stressed, depresseed about it, It never seem to matter what i did topically, diet wise, or supplement wise (although Tazorac has helped) - which to me suggests soemthing else is going on. I have always been extremely self conscious (GET VERY VERY MOODY and im a guy) and I would worry about it all the time. Now ive decied to say fu** it because I have lost all my friends and it wasn't getting any better.

And once again, its been good after i stopped worryin about it. I'm having fun again, hanging out with friends, and quite frankly, I dont think i could let myself slip into that mode of going crazy about it again because for the first time in 1 and half years, im happy, even if my skin isn't perfect (YET!).