Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

first I will give a little info about myself.

I am a male.

I'm 14 about to be 15.

My height is about 6 feat and 2 inches.

I weigh about 180 lbs.

I have had acne since i was about 13 3/4 years old- first on my face and more recently on my chest and back as well.

On a scale of "1-10" I would classify my active face acne as about a "6" with some notable red marks all around(it used to be much worse)

my back i would say about an "8" with a massive amount of red marks and indentations from past acne.

my chest has a couple small ones with some red spots.

OK, so anyway today i went to a Dermatologist. The second she looked at my back she immediately suggested that accutane is the thing for me.

I told my mom all about it(cuz i already read info) and my Mom was kinda worried about the depression part of it. I am not sure, should i take it at this age and risk possible depression/ serious mental affects and w/e physical affects such as joint problems, liver problems...?

OK so if you reply to this i would like you to leave your opinion and if you have been on accutane i would like some advice/ suggestions,maybe products you used while on your course or things i should do or look out for or w/e.

I just think i shouldn't make my decisions to start it until i have some opinions and w/e

Thank You,

D2K93

I'm hopefully gonna be going on 'tane in the next few weeks myself. As far as the depression thing goes, it depends on how you feel already. I mean if you are depressed and anxious about your condition 'tane can only help so why worry? If it isn't much of a psychological issue for you though, you may need to worry about it. My advice is kinda opposite what derms say though. They say: Acne depression = no 'tane because of risk of further depression. I say: If you've got acne depression what do you have to lose? Also, I have had moderate to severe acne since I was your age and now I'm nearly 20. Boy do I wish I had gone on accutane back when it first became a problem. I'd say go for it!

Yes you need a accutane, without accutane you scin will be worse and worse, and after and in time use accutane depression came, but main it's a not lost you mind

Here's my 2 cent.

You have got to understand that taking accutane should be your last resort. Have you ever tried any other topical or antibiotic yet? Go to a derm ask them to put you on something and see if that works and if it doesn't then slowly move up and try a different regime. This is a trial and error but it'll definitely determine what works and what doesn't. You're 15, spending another year experimenting wont hurt would it?

Ive never taken accutane but i would think depression is only a possibility if your a weak minded person or a girl since they are usually more emotional about acne and shit...if your derm immediately recommended tane then you should bypass all other treatments and go for it.

first I will give a little info about myself.

I am a male.

I'm 14 about to be 15.

My height is about 6 feat and 2 inches.

I weigh about 180 lbs.

I have had acne since i was about 13 3/4 years old- first on my face and more recently on my chest and back as well.

On a scale of "1-10" I would classify my active face acne as about a "6" with some notable red marks all around(it used to be much worse)

my back i would say about an "8" with a massive amount of red marks and indentations from past acne.

my chest has a couple small ones with some red spots.

OK, so anyway today i went to a Dermatologist. The second she looked at my back she immediately suggested that accutane is the thing for me.

I told my mom all about it(cuz i already read info) and my Mom was kinda worried about the depression part of it. I am not sure, should i take it at this age and risk possible depression/ serious mental affects and w/e physical affects such as joint problems, liver problems...?

OK so if you reply to this i would like you to leave your opinion and if you have been on accutane i would like some advice/ suggestions,maybe products you used while on your course or things i should do or look out for or w/e.

I just think i shouldn't make my decisions to start it until i have some opinions and w/e

Thank You,

D2K93

Have you tried changing your diet etc.? Go in for a food allergy testing and see if anything you are eating is causing you to break out. Stop eating all oily, junk food. Accutane is basically Vitamin A poisoning and some people suffer from permanent side effects like memory loss, depression, muscle and joint pain, rosacea to name just a few...So IMO you shouldnt go for this drug unless you have tried all other methods.

Just to let everybody know i have decided not to go on accutane. Maybe if nothing else works in a couple of years I'll go on it. For now, at my relatively young age, i find it to be to much of a risk.

Thank you for all your replies,

D2K93

You're probably right, D2K93. I went on accutane when I'd just turned 15 after years of experimenting with loads of other medication. It didn't work, and so I went on it again at the age of 16. Now Im 17 and my face is a mess, and Im basically fucked.

Good luck. I really hope everything works out for ya :)