Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lily Marie

Putting a stop to my acne. FINALLY.

I went to my derm today. My acne is resisting all antibiotics she's given me. At my last appointment she suggested accutane. Oh HELL no, I thought. I can't. I won't. And, now I have.

I signed my life away today and started the process. She gave me a thick booklet about how my potential babies that I won't be having are going to be retarded and oddly shaped. i really never thought that it would get to this point.

I'm really nervous about starting this treatment. I have read up on the side effects and have done some searching through arbitrary accutane blogs and have found a LOT of joint pain. I run daily and bike often. I'm more nervous that its going to keep me from doing that. Quite frankly running is what is keeping me on this planet and gives me what little endorphins I need to fight the daily battle of having acne... It also distracts me long enough to avoid finding roof access :)

Guys, I'd really love some advice about what accutane has done for you. This is my last resort, and only a month left until I start it. Is clear skin so much to ask without damaging the rest of my body in the process???

Lily.

Hey there,

First of all, Accutane won't kill you..and it won't mess up your body.. - Just make sure you do a 3-4 month cycle max. (What's your dosage?)

Secondly, the good news is that Accutane WILL get rid of your acne, thats just a fact pretty much, heh:)

Also, you can just exercise during Accutane, it won't mess up your joints, just drink TONS of water, I'd drink about a gallon a day.

I went ( and still do ) go to gym every day while on Accutane without any problems.

Hey there,

First of all, Accutane won't kill you..and it won't mess up your body.. - Just make sure you do a 3-4 month cycle max. (What's your dosage?)

Secondly, the good news is that Accutane WILL get rid of your acne, thats just a fact pretty much, heh:)

Also, you can just exercise during Accutane, it won't mess up your joints, just drink TONS of water, I'd drink about a gallon a day.

I went ( and still do ) go to gym every day while on Accutane without any problems.

Thanks for the advice. Lol I drink upwards of 12 glasses a day and haven't even started accutane yet. I start a month from the 4th. jesus, if it can help me it can help anyone. how long did you take it for? did it get worse before it got betteR?

hey hey,

I started Accutan, 20 mg a day, when i just turned 17. This was 3 years ago =) , i had "ALLOT" of acne, I took a while to get rid of it -- after about 4 months my face was clear. and i took it a total of 6 months. During Accutan it never really got "worse" than "before", ofcourse during the Accutan i still had a breakout here and there, but then again, i was only on 20 mg.

hey, your story's pretty similar to mine. I had some pretty bad acne that was resistant to everything (minocyclin, tetracyclin, tazorac, clindamycin, etc.). I actually decided to forgo accutane the first time it was offered because I was afraid of the side effects (I read alot of stuff online about depression, liver damage, shruken penises :eh:, etc), but ended up on a 5 month course a year later anyways :eh:

for me, it took about 4 months to clear, and i still have redmarks and redness, but it's had a huge effect. my skin was oily, but it's smooth and dry now!

side effects wise, I never got any joint pain, but I did get tired easily. also, my skin was really really dry, and it got pretty sensitive to moisturizer :(. I also had a pretty rough IB, but the results are easily worth the course!