Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loci

My derm put me on doxycycline along with the spiro

So my derm had NO idea why I would be breaking out the way I did from the spiro. He said that he has never had a patient break out from it initially, but then again, he said that he usually doesn't see the patient back until 3 months. So......he was baffled and even said "you know it's bad when the makeup queen cannot cover it up". Yes, that is how bad my skin is right now. So he prescribed 200mg/day of doxycycline and said that I can either a)take it with spiro for 3 months or b)stop the sprio and just take the doxy. I don't know what to do at this point. The spiro has made my skin look the worst that it's ever been, so I am tempted to quit, but so many of you seem to have such great success after 3 months that something tells me to just stick with it. I just hate being on all these pills.

Any idea how long it takes the doxy to kick in?

So my derm had NO idea why I would be breaking out the way I did from the spiro. He said that he has never had a patient break out from it initially, but then again, he said that he usually doesn't see the patient back until 3 months. So......he was baffled and even said "you know it's bad when the makeup queen cannot cover it up". Yes, that is how bad my skin is right now. So he prescribed 200mg/day of doxycycline and said that I can either a)take it with spiro for 3 months or b)stop the sprio and just take the doxy. I don't know what to do at this point. The spiro has made my skin look the worst that it's ever been, so I am tempted to quit, but so many of you seem to have such great success after 3 months that something tells me to just stick with it. I just hate being on all these pills.

Any idea how long it takes the doxy to kick in?

KEEP TAKING THE SPIRO!!! Please please please continue taking it until you get to the 6 month mark. 3 months is not enough time to tell if it will work for you or not! Start the doxycycline and take it until the spiro starts working. if you experience nausea from the doxy, ask for minocycline- I much prefer it to doxy. good luck!

Agreed, keep taking the spiro. I took a special time released version of doxy called doryx but I was only on 100 mg/day and it seemed to work very quickly and effectively which makes no sense at all because it wasn't working very well when I was taking it before beginning the spiro. Go figure. I think you will get some relief soon.

I have to admit I was a little taken aback by the IB I had as well because I had read several posts and reviews on this site before taking spiro where users wrote about having immediate improvement and no initial breakouts and their acne seemed to stop as soon as they started the sprio. But it was my dermatologist who told me it could take at least three months before we would know whether or not it was working.

Thanks so much for your input peachy and mizz. Although I hate taking all these medications, I will continue with the spiro and the doxy combo. I have been on doxy before so I know I tolerate it well. I just couldn't remember how long it took to kick in.

I have been on the doxy for 3 days and I can already seen an improvement, especially since this is the time of month that my breakouts are the worst. I will definitely give it 3 months and see how well I do with it.

Wish me luck!!!!!