Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sid99

From Zero to Hero in 3 months COURSE COMPLETED! Post Tane/Red-Brown Marks Update!

Okay guys I've done countless reading of accutane logs on his site and externally before I decided enough really was enough! Here's my story: I started to suffer mild-moderate acne 8 months ago. Before this I had persistant mild acne for 3 years and BP did the job great! It kept my skin looking great!

Anyway those days I used to be a party animal going out day and night (you literally wouldnt see me at home), I enjoyed my first 2 years at university thoroughly, at the end of my 2nd yr me and a group of friends decided to go clubbin abroad in malia, had a bangin time!!!

I started dating this girl through the summer and we were together for 6 months, things were going well when one day things took a turn and we broke up :(

It was so sad but it wasnt too bad (check the ryhme) as we weren't in love, but anyway life went on smoothly!! My best mate had his birthday and we went to tenerife for a few days, had an awesome time.

THEN.. this is were jack and jill fell down the hill, or more precisely sid. I was checking this girl for a few weeks, it was more on a side thing, we used to go out and party together and things were great! I slept with her and had all sort of funs, she was an animal in bed :D. Anyway one night I got home and saw some little cystic spot on my left cheek (I wasnt used to this) and I was like woah holy crap! It was like the T1000 model of a pimple (from terminator the movie). It was like a living tissue sent from the future to terminate me or something. So being the biggest acne noob I went all in and applied immense amounts of pressure to pop it!

["viewer discretion is advised" - got that from prison break]

Nothing happend except tons of blood came out, my skin literally peeled of layers and I was in pain. It was a disgusting sight, horrid! 1 week later the cyst was still there and right below it a similar one formed. I tried to pop that as well in frustration and similar results. More tiny cysts and pimple kept on forming (like they were both having babies) and my cheek became a battlefield. My acne was now moderate. Some weeks later the cysts died down and the pimple formation spread to the other cheeks! They all left the worst pigmenatory marks possible and it was the opening of my hermit days.

Fast forward 6 months things were still the same except more marks! My acne became mild but cystic. It is focused primarily on my cheeks and its not a nice sight. I have so many clogged pores as well and my oily skin has became alot more oily. I went to my doctor who put me on a few medications but at the same time booked me a derm appointment. Waiting list here in the uk is a few good months.

In those 6 months I tried:

BP

Retin-A

Tetracyline

Clearasil

Microdermabrasion

salicylic acid

glycolic peels

None of these worked and it was time for tane! I picked up my pills 13/06/2008 starting at 40mg (2x 20mg) a day. I weight 168 pounds so this is not much but I might be pushed up to a higher dose later. As my acne is mild this lower dosage may work just as well as I have been told. I plan to be on for 6 months or longer.

I popped my first pill on 14/06/2008.

Week 1:

First few days my skin seemed the same, infact more oily, I was aware it would take same time for it to kick in the system. By the end of the week my skin was matt most of my oil was gone and for the first time I would wake up to non-oily skin! It doesn't matter how much you read this is going to happen it still comes as a surprise, atleast for me it did! My forehead was still oily however

Side Effects:

drier skin

thumping headaches (these were pretty bad and quite scary)

lips drying up

Week 2:

This week had a few ups and downs. First I think I had a mini IB, I woke up to a few new pimples this week but no cysts (which was a surprise). Before tane I had a cyst on either cheek which I decided to pop. The bumps could still be felt and I was worried they may return at somepoint. THey also left some noticeable brown marks. I also have many red marks (my skin colour is light brown so I get a mixture of both red and brown marks, great isn't it)! By the end of the week the pimples I got dried up and came off leaving more red marks, although very small. I also noticed many blackheads popping up on my nose and some clogged pores on the sides of my nose, I never had anything like this before, but then again my nose used to produce engine oil for "shell" before this so it makes sense everything is coming up!

Also my headaches were totally gone this week, which is great! Bumps on either cheek from pre-tane still there but seemed smaller!

Side Effects:

dry skin (mainly around nose and mouth, also forehead is now matt and not oily at all)

very chapped lips (carmex is a must several times a day. They peel atleast once a day)

Isn't it crazy how acne suddenly appears from seemingly out of nowhere? I hate it!!! Best wishes for you on your course, Sid. :boogie:

Days 15-18:

okay things went well in the first few days of my 3rd week. I noticed when i rubbed upwards on my nose a few of the blackheads came off, I guess this is a good sign! Apart from this a got 1 pimple up until my 18th day. It formed a whitehead on the right side of my face in between my cheek and ear. I popped it and all went well, it scabbed up and peeled of after 2 days which is pretty quick considering accutane makes the healing process slow but then again it was quite small to begin with, anyway inevitably it still left a red mark. So all in all things ar going pretty well right? ... wrong!

Today on the other hand was a completely differn't story. I woke up this morning to 2 fresh whiteheads pimples (pretty decent sized for whiteheads) and also a little red bump. 1 was located on my right cheek and the other including the bump on my left. I cant resist picking whiteheads as from my experience these ones can be picked (only if done properly). So well I went ahead and popped two of them. A few hours later the bump I had also formed a head, which I realised was pretty quick and probably wouldnt happen that quick pre tane, i guess thats good in a way. However both pimples I popped earlier re-filled themselves so I proceeded to remove them again. This time things didnt go too well however and my skin peeled with it. By the evening I had 3 more red marks, 2 of which are not pretty!! So just when I thought my red marks where fading, things took a turn. I guess I should have expected this! I just want to quickly fast forward 3 months!

Also here's a pic I posted on another thread with all my clogged pores on the side of my nose. Hopefully tane is just purging everything out here and in a few weeks my skin will be silky smooth!

http://img201.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0800sd5.jpg

Side Effects:

Same dry lips and drier face

hey sorry I didn't see your comment on my thread - because it was the start of the second page and it turns out you can reply to a thread without ever seeing the second page.

anyway good luck and I'll be following this one because of our similar conditions.

Day 19:

Today I woke up looking like shyte! Literally all the pimples I popped yesterday had became horribly scabbed red marks. I dont remember having this many marks pre-tane and so far the downside of the roller coaster has begun! I literally looked at myself in the mirror and wanted to cry like a little 2 year old baby!

Okay Sid lets toughen up...

okay I know I was to expect this, but really come on, this! Although I dont have that many actives (thanks God) the condition of my skin is dreadful. It's like a little kid got some crayons and started drawing on a piece of paper, thats the resemblance. I am really feeling down because of it. I was however lucky to be distracted, my grandad and grandma came over from Spain so I chatted to them for a bit then proceeded to watch the Federer v Ancic match.

Anyway both my bro and mum are away for a month on friday and will be back near my birthday. I want to be reasonably clear by then, it would be so great!

Also I have this new bump that had risen mid day, its red and doesnt have a head, im leaving it alone and hoping that sooner or later it will become a whitehead or just resolve on its own. I still have the two bumps I had from pre tane as well! These fu!$kers are really stubborn!! I also got bitten by mosquitoes last night, its been really hot here. THey bit me on my arm and left some HUGEEEEE bumps, they are crazy itchy! Its funny not only do I suffer this acne but im the only one getting bit my mosqitoes here even my grandma was like woah I didnt know mosquitoes bite so hard here (I mean it is bloody England, come on). Well I hope everything will just hurry up and purge so I can look forward to a better second month!

Side effects:

Dry skin

Dry hand and arms (just started noticing this). Applied cocoa butter to try and sooth.

Chapped lips (not too bad with reguar carmex)

Itchy skin, especially arms (maybe form mosquitoe bites)

hey sorry I didn't see your comment on my thread - because it was the start of the second page and it turns out you can reply to a thread without ever seeing the second page.

anyway good luck and I'll be following this one because of our similar conditions.

np mate, i think we will be in this one together for some time! Hopefully we can then meet up and celebrate with a pint topped of with a nice fat rolly!

Keep fightin and you'll win the battle! :)

Thanks for the encouragement! That's one thing I definitely need right now!

Hey good to know theres a few other peeps in for the duration like me too!!! And what is that with the damn waiting list to get a dermatologists appointment here? Then I had to wait 8 weeks just to get my tablets... will be checking in with you... maybe we can all have a post pimple party when we can drink again... it'll be my first birthday sober since I was legal to drink... boooo!

Hey good to know theres a few other peeps in for the duration like me too!!! And what is that with the damn waiting list to get a dermatologists appointment here? Then I had to wait 8 weeks just to get my tablets... will be checking in with you... maybe we can all have a post pimple party when we can drink again... it'll be my first birthday sober since I was legal to drink... boooo!

hey Kerry, ye looks like theres a couple of us! lol "post pimple party" except hopefully there wont be no pimples partying with us! im going to try to update daily for now so stay tuned!

Day 20:

Well I guess you could say today was better than yesterday. No new breakouts and the 3 pimples I got a few days back have now scabbed completely. I'm not going to touch them and let them heal fully hopefully that way they wont leave as bad marks!

The red bump on my right cheek is still there hasnt changed, im just hoping it will form a head anytime soon. I think its one of them 1 week under the skin pimples thats infected! I've noticed my red marks strangely look a bit better, maybe the hydroquinone cream is actually working this quick or then maybe my eyes are decieving me. I also noticed my skin on my face isnt dry if I moisturise once in the morning, it stays matt all day! However my lips are a different story, carmex every 30 mins is a must. I might have to try and invest in that aquaphor thing everyone raves about, but for now this is doing fine!

I still have blackheads on my nose which havent come out, I think it may take some time. I also noticed my forehead is very itchy and the texture feels more bumpy. I'm scared I might breakout! Anyway I have decided NOT TO mess with any of the under skin bumps or clogged pores as I have a habit of making them worse, im just going to let tane do its job without interferring. I feel whether I do try and squeeze the gunk out manually wont make a difference, tane will take its time regardless and I will just leave more red marks!

I have 2 uni exams to retake this summer as i didn't do them last yr because of severe illness. Luckily my uni allowed me to do them in summer instead. Great there goes my vacation! Well either it wasnt much of a vacation whilst on tane, and hopefully it will distract me from worrying about my face all the time. I really need to get in the mood of working but I feel like im always tired and lazy. Not going to blam the drug. Its easy to blame anything other than yourself when it comes to revising, for me anyway! My family is going on hoildays and im staying here because of these exams. Thats 1 month of peace for me to get on with my revision and no more worrying about my acne and checking the mirror every 5 minutes! okay from here on unless there is dramatic news im going to keep my posts short and sweet. This is your man Sid tuning out!

Side Effects:

Dry lips (not as chapped as before)

Dry face

Occasionally itchy face

Hey Sid,

Hows the study going? God I didnt realise it affected your concentration so much. I cant function at work Im so tired. I cant even watch tv at the moment... maybe I have turned into a crazy person and didnt realise hahahaha! Blame the drugs go on!!! Hahaha it's a good excuse!!!!

So Im gonna keep reading you everyday cos I guess we are in it for the duration together, we will have to find other peeps on for the same time hahaha! Have updated mine too... I kinda like telling the world without actually telling the world... If you know what I mean!!!

Anyway, Im going to hit they hay and try not to pick at my face in my sleep... I have developed that habit over the last 2days and its not good. Its just so damn itchy. Need some mittens!!!

don't pop your pimples while on accutane. you'll damage your skin and scab badly.

i've tried it. trust me.

i second that. DO....not...POP people.. leave your acne alone... pop = scars for life... leaving it alone = gone after a little while. easy as that really.

oh and if it does pop somehow and you have a crust, leave the crust alone too! lol, crust = skin healing itself... if u leave it, it'll heal... if you don't leave it, you ruin the chance to heal itself.

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

kerrypow: Revision is going slow but atleast i've now made a start (that's the hardest thing). Hopefully from here on I should pick up the pace. I think having acne overall just gets rids of my concentration as im always stressed/concerned. I'm trying to stay positive and not blame the drug unless ofcourse something dramatic happens.

scarredpores and joshua-NL: Ye I have given up trying to pop pimples unless I leave them for a few days and they form a very visible whitehead that has to be removed manually. Even then it leaves a red marks, it just seem to be the part of the package these days.

Day 21-22: Sorry I didnt reply yesterday I blazed the best joint after 1.5 months of being off the shit. I then proceeded to watch harold and kumar and KO'd 6 packets of walkers crisps, double packet of jaffer cakes and a packet of mr kiplings iced cakes. It was simply amazing!

So 3 weeks are over and the status of my skin is average. Many of the scabs have gone except a few on my forehead. I woke up to 1 new pimples today that formed a very large whitehead and I also noticed after the scab on my left cheek fell off the pimple had refilled itself and was growing under the scan (that explains the bumpy feel I was getting whilst it was healing). Anyway I cant really stand whiteheads especially if they have surfaced so I removed them both. 2 more red marks to add to the never ending list!

I also noticed something very scary and equally exciting today. As I washed my face this morning and looked in the mirror (horrible bathroom mirror right next to the windows with tons of natural light) I saw my face was EXTREMELY flaky. As I looked further I noticed tons of miny (and I mean small as the top of a pin) whitehead like creatures. Alot of my clogged pores and little bumps that I showed in the picture in my earlier post had purged out. It was like dead skin cells, so I proceeded to scrub gently and most of them fell off. It was great except there were so many my skin was raw red after the process. I then had a cool shower and looked at my skin and the beginning of the poreless days started showing up (probably have jinxed myself now). I do still have many clogged pores though and especially around my nose and the blackheads are taking alot longer to come out! My concern is that these clogged pores that have purged remain in the empty state and dont refill. Forehead is still the same, still a little bumpy, still needs to be "purged" :(

Nevertheless my skin still looks bad, I now have 2 new developing scabs from popping the pimples in the morning and a hanful of hyperpigmentation red/brown marks all over my cheeks and sides of my face and a few on my forehead. Knowing that it can take months to fade really worries me...

Side effects:

SEVERELY and I mean SEVERELY chapped lips one day, to sexy red lips the other (after it sheds a dozen layers that is). Even carmex every 5 mins cant keep up when it gets that bad!

very dry and itchy arms and hands. Been applying palmers cocoa butter which is helping

A few falling hairs (maybe not even related to the tane, not sure).

Day 23:

No actives today for the first time in months! I do however still have alot of blackheads on my nose half purging half a bit deeper. My forehead still has a few inactive clogged pores which makes me want to itch it frequently! I still have those two bumps on either cheek from pretane and they are still the same size (not really noticeable but can be felt). Been there for 4 weeks now and it worries me if they will ever go?? Im worried they may cause a breakout sometime later, I just want them gone, no reason for them to be there!!

Also mky skin feels alot more smooth. On my upper arms (the part near the shoulders) I noticed little bumps I never had before, its like my arms are purging. Weird.

Also the biggest concern for me right now are my hyperpigmentation marks, they really give me a blotchy look and makes me look like I have acne. I dont know if they will hea properly whilst on tane but I cant imagine no fading for 6 months!! I was using palmers skin success with 2% hydroquinone for a few days and dont know if there is any difference yet. If anyone knows anything effective to fade red marks and aid healing let me know!

Side effects:

dry lips (less than before)

dry skin (mainly around mouth)

itchy arms (no so much on face anymore)

woke up to my first nosebleed!! Slight headache after which subsided. Applied vaseline with q-tip inside.

Day 25:

I'm feeling shitty. Just one of them days I just hate my appearance more than usual. I was clear for the first time for a few days. It did feel great mind you. However as I thought it was short lived. I had two pimples pop up today which I removed. I also decided to clear all the blackheads on ym nose which had appeared as I felt they were goin knowhere. I really damaged my nose in the process but it isnt too bad. I noticed after doing so that I had many enlarged pores emerge, something I have never had before on my nose. I was upset but am hoping it will dissapear. My nose feels so smooth now, still a few blackheads underneath but most seem to be gone. Just hoping they dont come back!

Also my cheeks which are my worst part were clear for a few days and when I stretch my skin I couldnt really see many small bumps. However today I could see a few new ones, I wonder why this is? Maybe gunk deep down which I couldnt see before now rising? Or maybe they just refilled, that would be the worst scenario.

Side effects:

Disgustingly chapped lips (quite embarassin)

Dry arms

Dry eyes occasionally

Nose bleeds occasionally.

Day 30:

Hey guys been a month! Can't believe time flies so quick! Been busy preparing for exams so its kept my mind off my skin! Anyway im going to update every so often as I think its better that way. Quick update, my skin has taken a turn and has improved quite a bit. In the last 5 days i've had only 1 actual pimple. I havent touched my face atall and for 3 days only washed it before bed. I have also been trying a new regimen of applying an egg white mask once a day and I have noticed in this time my red marks have somehow faded alot! I dont understand how, I still fail to believe it and think they will just pop back up someday, but no! They are becoming more brown which is good to kno that atleast they are healing. Im thinking so long as my face remains breakout free in about 3 months most of my marks should be gone *fingers crossed*.

However I still have a few clogged pores but they are going slowly and most times just crumble off and dont turn into pimples. However I still have the 2 under skin bumps from pretane and they havent changed much, dont know when they will go??

I have notcied that I am developing some really bad rashes on my arms from the dryness, its like little heat spots although I know its the tane as I have never had these before. Im trying to moisturise them but they are still very itchy and look bad!

My lips I have noticed are good one day, terrible the other (people actually comment when they look bad, like my aunty did yesterday). I have noticed they are good the day after being chapped when all the skin peels off but this only last maybe a day or two max.

Side effects:

Chapped lips

Dry arms (rashes developing)

Random dry patches on body occasionally

edit:Had derm appointment, everything is fine, he also seems satisfied with the progress. I am on 60mg this month.

Sid, my lips do the EXACT same thing. They're amazing and pain-free the day after they've all peeled off. I've resorted to keeping them constantly exfoliated. Only the corners get a little crusty. Still, the lips are a pain in the rear!

Ugh, sorry to read about your rashes. Those stink. I hope they go away for you.

Good luck on your exams and with your course. :) I'm happy your breakout has calmed down.

Day 34:

Thanks for the reply Siava. Today has been a horrid day for me. Overall my face is clear with the exception of a few dormany bumps. However yesterday morning I did the most silly thing and that was apply a 4% hydroquinone cream (you may have seen another thread of me crying about it) on my brown marks. This morning I had beet red patches wherever I applied the cream (I onyl spot treated). I think maybe it urnt my skin as my skin is so fragile on tane. I am so utterly worried by it as being brown skinned I fear further hyperpigmentation. I really have no idea of the damage I may have caused but im hoping the redness will have gone down by tommorow morning. If this is the case then thats a good sign. I am not going to touch that cream as of now!

This for me makes me look worse than having acne. Its not all over my face but just blotted. Its also a little tingly. They are red so I am hoping they will just clear. Also I am cutting back on my dose to every other day. I think whilst on tane my skin just DOESNT have the chance to heal, its ridiculous. I think by doing this I will atleast allow my skin to heal properly and hopefully clear these marks up!

**As of now there is one thing I ask from you fellow tanners and that is pray for me! I promise to do the same in your time of despairs!**

Day 35:

Hi I am still going to stick with the every few days/weekly updates. But I jst wanted to quickly say that things with the hydroquinone have settled down quite a bit. It was more than a panick attack. I still think I have made it worse but not as bad as it initially looked, its pretty much back to normal!

I am going to instead go back to the natural way, as its better safe then sorry. So yes in a way I wasted about £55 ($110) on that cream (especially right now when my funds are quite low). But im glad things are not worse. Okay so I am going to probably start using the meladerm cream I had lying about instead. Also I am going to moisturise with jojoba oil as I think it helps heal red marks quicker. With that I am also going to continue with the accutane every other day unless I see something go wrong. My poor liver also needs a rest!

Hey Sid, glad you're feeling better. I'll be joining the Tane club in a month, can't wait! Good luck :)

Hey Sid, glad you're feeling better. I'll be joining the Tane club in a month, can't wait! Good luck :)

Hey thanks jdruler! Ye accutane is definitely worth it, although I am not where I want to be yet I am very happy with the progress!

Day 39:

I had one pimple since my last update, dont know where it came from. I still have a few flesh coloured bumps, you know the type which if you squeeze dry white string comes out! I don't think they are pimples! But I have an increasing obessesion of picking them, regardless accutane ha really helped decrease the amount I have dramatically.

Since I keep squeezing even the tiniest flaw (and then get happy with seeing some of the white string stuff come out) I have accutually been making my red/brown marks worse (which were actually healing very nicely). Dammit I REAALLLLY need to stop picking!!!

That being said I am creating a spreadsheet where I will record my new "pick free" habit on a daily basis! The condition is to NOT pick my face atall regardless of pimple development or anything I sight (which these days is very little anyway) and also to not touch my face at all unless neccessary (e.g. washing face). That is it, next time I update I will be updating in conjuction to being "pick free"! Wish me luck!

Oh ye I also decided to up my dose to the way it was prescribed (60mg daily) as I think skipping days wasn't helping. Also I stopped using jojoba oil as I think it was what caued the pimple development. Additionally I have placed an order for cetaphil moisturiser form the USA, hope it will be good!

Side effects:

Dryness persists on arms and lips. Nothing else!