Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bob fletcher

Purpose too drying! Oh no...

So I never knew I had dry skin until I started the regimen. After buying a bottle of purpose, my face feels tight and dry, even when I don't use any bp. So I was looking around at some alternatives and stumbled on Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar.

Would this be more harsh than Purpose? If so, any better alternatives?

PS: I don't really have that oily of skin, just acne.

If possible, give Dan's cleanser a try. It's pH balanced for the skin and has good-for-the-skin ingredients.

Olay gentle foaming face wash for sensitive skin and Eucerin gentle hydrating cleanser are both excellent options. If you wear make-up, the Olay wash is better for removal. I don't recommend you use the Cetaphil bar soap, it contains an ingredient called triclosan, which is a great disinfectant for handsoaps but tends to be too harsh for the face. Most bar soaps have something called Tallow which is used for binding the ingredients together, tallow is derived from beef or mutton fat which can clog pores. Good luck.

Ok, well, I guess Cetaphil is out of the question? I have the CeraVe moisturizer but wasn't to crazy about it, but it sounds like their wash is the way to go. Thanks guys!

Also, I'd love to try Dan's but it just seems like a hassle to wait for soap in the mail. I do use the Benzoyl Peroxide of his and love it.

Well, to follow up, I went to Walgreens today to get that CeraVe Cleanser and unfortunately they didn't carry it. So I went ahead and got the Cetaphil Antibacterial bar and gave it a try. To tell you the truth, I think it's great! Washing my whole body with one bar is a great convenience and it works well and it is not to drying at all! It does contain Tallow as mentioned but it's not too harsh at all. Face got a little dry (not nearly as bad as Purpose's effects though) but nothing a little bit of moisturizer couldn't deal with. So I'm a happy buyer now! Thanks for the help you guys.

So I never knew I had dry skin until I started the regimen. After buying a bottle of purpose, my face feels tight and dry, even when I don't use any bp. So I was looking around at some alternatives and stumbled on Cetaphil Antibacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar.

Would this be more harsh than Purpose? If so, any better alternatives?

PS: I don't really have that oily of skin, just acne.

I don't like Purpose either. I prefer Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser for Sensitive Skin. Dan's cleaser isn't bad either, but it is a little bit drying for me as well.