Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheBananaButcher

Thinking about going off acne meds...

Hey I've been looking through the Holistic part of this website for a while... Just been too lazy to actually join as a member.

And in case you're wondering, I don't have HORRIBLE HORRIBLE acne, just a couple of whiteheads and an occasional cyst but I have a lot of scars unfortunately... I'd say I'm about 80% clear.

Anyway, my acne has cleared up quite a bit by getting off BP and doing the whole topical ACV, Tea tree oil, and salt deodorant stuff with some supplements. But, I've also kept taking my acne medication (Spirocylcin I think its called) and birth control Yaz. Now that I'm running low on my Acne Meds (Spiro) I'm thinking about not taking them any more. Is that a good or bad idea? Or should I stick with taking my meds until I'm 100% clear?

hmm it depends, are you confident that its not the meds that are working and your changes, i would recommend sticking with the meds until you are 100% clear and then try to go 100 holistic, i was on benzoyl peroxide forever and then you just get sick of it everyday 2 times a day and your face is dry, holistic requires a lot less irritation but it can be hard to find what works for you, i would try a gluten and dairy free diet

Most people really break out after stopping birth control, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend going off both spiro and BCPs at once. You might want to go off spiro first and then wait a while to see how that affects you. When I stopped taking estrogen, my face went from about 80-90% clear to moderate acne fairly quickly.

take them for at least a few months before u quit

coz ur derm will tell u to lower the dose after a few months anyways...ur body will get used to the medicine n it wont work that well

just be extra carful on ur diet

I've been taking both Spiro and Yaz for about 6 or 7 months now, so I believe my body has gotten use to it and the effects are at their strongest. But I think I'll take the advice of trying to go 100% clear and then ween off Spiro. Thank you guys! And if anyone else has something else to add, feel free to do so. =]