Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My skin is terribly oily by 9:00am. What are the best treatments for oily skin. The only time my skin was not oily was when I was on accutane about a year ago. What products can I use to tame the oil? Thanks for all the advice.

oc8. 30 bucks a tube, lasts at least a couple months. the product absorbs oil for hours - nothing perfect though.

I'm on mini-dose accutane to keep the oil under control. Without moisturizer, my skin isnt flaky or dry. The only problem is my lips but with lip balm, it's not really an issue.

I was on accutane last year and was considering doing a low dose for a while to try and tame the oil. Thank God, I very rarely break out anymore and would be using accutane simply to reduce oil. What are thoughts on using accutane to curb oil? My hair has even been getting really oily lately.

Milk of Magnesia

Are you washing your hair to much? Say for example, you wash your hair every day, you'll have to continue to wash it every day for it not to be oily. If you skip a day it will be. Try washing every other day or every couple of days. It might take a couple of weeks for your hair to adjust to the washings but your hair should be less oily with less frequent washings over an extended period of time.

Are you washing your hair to much? Say for example, you wash your hair every day, you'll have to continue to wash it every day for it not to be oily. If you skip a day it will be. Try washing every other day or every couple of days. It might take a couple of weeks for your hair to adjust to the washings but your hair should be less oily with less frequent washings over an extended period of time.

I'd like you to explain the peculiar logic you're using in that reply! If you start washing your car LESS frequently, does it get less dirty over time? If you do LESS dusting around your house, does it stay cleaner over time? :)

My skin is terribly oily by 9:00am. What are the best treatments for oily skin. The only time my skin was not oily was when I was on accutane about a year ago. What products can I use to tame the oil? Thanks for all the advice.

I have been using Multani Clay Mask past few days and its very good for sucking out the oil from your skin. Get the pure Multani powder (you can get it from any Indian store). I am attempting to use all natural products now on my skin and this Multani mitti is all natural. The clay mask I was using earlier had alcohol in it etc. so I think I will use this instead now.

I'd like you to explain the peculiar logic you're using in that reply! If you start washing your car LESS frequently, does it get less dirty over time? If you do LESS dusting around your house, does it stay cleaner over time?

@ bryan- you will find the answer if U use the logic right,hmmm remember that we musnt wash our oily faces more then twice a day 'cos it will produce more and more oil??the same thing here ;) ,and you better clean your car as frequently as it needs:)

peace!

@ bryan- you will find the answer if U use the logic right,hmmm remember that we musnt wash our oily faces more then twice a day 'cos it will produce more and more oil??the same thing here ;)

LOL!! You're new around here, aren't you? :) And people wonder why I lose my patience sometimes...

FYI: Washing your face more than twice a day doesn't make it produce more oil. <SIGH>

are you suffering from acne, or just oily skin?

if you have acne, i wouldn't try to deal with the oil right now. i've been using a topical treatment for 2 months now and my skin is still as oily as it ever was, but i don't care because i'm not breaking out anymore, and i don't want to irritate my skin and risk new breakouts just to deal with the oil.

if you don't have acne, then it's safe to try some of these remedies, but discontinue them if you start breaking out.

if nothing works, then just wait a number of years until your skin settles down and becomes less oily.

@ bryan- you will find the answer if U use the logic right,hmmm remember that we musnt wash our oily faces more then twice a day 'cos it will produce more and more oil??the same thing here ;)

LOL!! You're new around here, aren't you? :) And people wonder why I lose my patience sometimes...

FYI: Washing your face more than twice a day doesn't make it produce more oil. <SIGH>

Wait I always thought washing more = bad? I'm confused!

For people with acne-prone skin, washing more is often a problem because it increases irritation, not because it increases oil production. Irritation is more related to acne than oil, in my experience.

bryan and I have tossed around theories why washing more frequently may lead to the APPEARANCE of more oil - I, like you, was also convinced that frequent washings meant more oil.

One of our theories is the exfoliation theory - by repeatedly sloughing off dead skin cells you are a)removing "road blocks" from your pores, allowing oil to get to the skin more easily and b)making your skin smoother, thus more reflective. Even people with DRY skin can look "shiny" when their skin is really smooth.

This is why, I think, every time I use Retin-A, all of a sudden my face is an oil pool - it's unblocking my pores, letting the oil get to my face instead of staying trapped in my pores.

For people with acne-prone skin, washing more is often a problem because it increases irritation, not because it increases oil production. Irritation is more related to acne than oil, in my experience.

bryan and I have tossed around theories why washing more frequently may lead to the APPEARANCE of more oil - I, like you, was also convinced that frequent washings meant more oil.

One of our theories is the exfoliation theory - by repeatedly sloughing off dead skin cells you are a)removing "road blocks" from your pores, allowing oil to get to the skin more easily and b)making your skin smoother, thus more reflective. Even people with DRY skin can look "shiny" when their skin is really smooth.

This is why, I think, every time I use Retin-A, all of a sudden my face is an oil pool - it's unblocking my pores, letting the oil get to my face instead of staying trapped in my pores.

This is absolutely correct. Exfoliation is the key.