Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

so i've been on accutane for awhile, and i get my blood work back and my cholesterol levels are skyrocketing. has this happened to anyone else?? it's so annoying now another thing to worry about.

so i've been on accutane for awhile, and i get my blood work back and my cholesterol levels are skyrocketing. has this happened to anyone else?? it's so annoying now another thing to worry about.

yes. Just got back to the derm today and he said my cholesterol was a little high but it was like that before I started the drug...however, my birth control could be the cause of that too as I am only 19 and thin. however, high cholesterol runs in the family....both parents have it and take medication for it.

shiitake mushrooms are known to lower bad cholesterol. try and throw them in whatever you eat. also, raw nuts tend to be pretty decent for balancing cholesterol levels.

yes. Just got back to the derm today and he said my cholesterol was a little high but it was like that before I started the drug...however, my birth control could be the cause of that too as I am only 19 and thin. however, high cholesterol runs in the family....both parents have it and take medication for it.

I'm 18 and thin as well and on birth control, and my cholesterol was 'better than textbook' - derm's words. Doubt it's the birth control.

If you are really concerned (and dedicated), go vegan for the rest of your course --or at least cut out red meat if you can. This significantly lowers cholesterol (LDL) levels.

i know my high cholesterol is not because of what i eat. i really don't eat badly that my cholesterol is this high. my derm is concerned that it is so high so i have to get more blood work, i may even have to take medication to lower it. before accutane my cholesterol was average almost borderline, now after a few months of accutane, it is very high.

FALSE. Dietary cholesterol is not linked to the cholesterol in food.

Not to get argumentative... but VERY TRUE.

'Dietary' refers to the nutrients we eat, so how 'dietary' cholesterol is not linked to the cholesterol in "food" is essentially an oxymoron.

This is not something that comes from the air we breath, obviously it comes from what we eat. Chances are, your levels are probably not elevated because of what you eat, but may be more of a genetic predisposition of having higher concentrations kept in your body. Does anyone in your family have heart disease?

My suggestion about cutting out animal products would certainly be something to consider before deciding to start on a statin to lower you lipids. At least that's what they teach us in school, lifestyle modification always before pharmacological intervention. Cholesterol comes from animal products, that is how our body is able to obtain it, and there are many studies that have shown a substantial decrease in triglycerides with such dietary restrictions. However, these are usually results measured after a few months, so short term relief may not be as feasible.

Accutane is known to cause an elevation in triglycerides. That is why they monitor it so closely.

Anyways, if you are really concerned about it the NHLBI is a good place to start (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/)

FALSE. Dietary cholesterol is not linked to the cholesterol in food.

Not to get argumentative... but VERY TRUE.

'Dietary' refers to the nutrients we eat, so how 'dietary' cholesterol is not linked to the cholesterol in "food" is essentially an oxymoron.

This is not something that comes from the air we breath, obviously it comes from what we eat. Chances are, your levels are probably not elevated because of what you eat, but may be more of a genetic predisposition of having higher concentrations kept in your body. Does anyone in your family have heart disease?

My suggestion about cutting out animal products would certainly be something to consider before deciding to start on a statin to lower you lipids. At least that's what they teach us in school, lifestyle modification always before pharmacological intervention. Cholesterol comes from animal products, that is how our body is able to obtain it, and there are many studies that have shown a substantial decrease in triglycerides with such dietary restrictions. However, these are usually results measured after a few months, so short term relief may not be as feasible.

Accutane is known to cause an elevation in triglycerides. That is why they monitor it so closely.

Anyways, if you are really concerned about it the NHLBI is a good place to start (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/)

Well most people are ignorant when it comes to food, nutrition, and diet. In fact, most people think they eat healthier than they actually do. A lot of people are quick to offer their own diet tips as facts. I eat 6 eggs a day and I have people trying to lecture me on how bad of cholesterol I will have.. but my blood tests show otherwise.

Your liver produces 3-6 times more cholesterol than you can eat. There’s no relation to cholesterol & saturated fat intake to higher cholesterol levels. You need cholesterol to make new cells. Cholesterol is one of the building blocks of cells. Stress, inflammation and strain on cell causes damage. You need cholesterol to repair and build new cells in these areas.

Accutane itself probably increases your cholesterol due to what it is doing to your body.

thanks for the replies and advice. i have to take medication now to lower my cholesterol because it is so unbelievably high for a person my age. i'm pretty sure it is because of the accutane. i have to detox my liver also.