Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
s2a6r2a

Differin - Initial Breakout

I kept reading about an initial breakout with Differin. I'm about 4-5 weeks into treatment and my face was clearing. I started getting a few very small pimples last week. I didn't panic because I had read that this was normal for Differin 3-5 weeks into treatment. Then, my face completely broke out with a few larger, painful pimples yesterday. It isn't a typical time of month for me to break out and I have virtually no stress because I'm on summer vacation from work. It's also in places I've never broke out before. Is this my initial brekout or do I need to consider other factors?

I did stop using my moisturizer a week ago because I read that it could cause breakouts. My skin wasn't really dry anymore, so I figured I could just go without it. I also switched my make-up to an oil-free one at the same time. I never had breakouts at all until about 4 months ago. I want to believe it is a product I was using that caused my new acne in the first place (I'm 29). So, I am trying to slowly eliminate newer products. I also had one late night where I didn't wash my face until 3am. Any thoughts? This is so frustrating!

Happened to me too, retinoids seem to give a 4th week "false-clear", I had an amazing 4th week and then broke out for the next 3 months (still hoping it works).

I wouldn't blame any of your new products yet, just because lots of people seem to post similar experiences.

Funny thing is, I also had a crazy couple of nights so I even asked my derm if staying out late could have caused it to worsen after the 4th week improvement I saw.

It is indeed frustrating, but the general consensus is just to bite the bullet and really stick with it until your 3-4 months is up. For some people it's even taken 5-6 months I've read.

Not what I wanted to hear. I kept reading that it cleared in 8-12 weeks and that the initial breakout was very temporary. I'm also using a topical antibiotic. Anbody have a positive experience after an initial breakout? I guess I'll go back to my dermatologist.

No one in my family has had this issue and I never did until 4 months ago. I have 4 sisters with very similar skin. I really have to believe that something I am putting on my face is clogging my pores.

^Nobody in my family has had acne either, my parents thought that it was something in my diet, or that I was rubbing my face or something. Unfortunately, we just got an unlucky combination of genes.

There is no miracle acne cure that'll clear you in less than 3 months unless you have very mild acne and Dan's regimen is enough for you.

Try reducing what you're using on your face to just the noncomedogenic essentials.

I would consider it moderate. Once I throw some make-up on, most people don't even see that it's there. However, the fact that it came out of nowhere is what I don't understand. In my mind, it's severe. I'm 29. I had the absolute clearest skin before this. I never had acne as a teen or throughout my 20's. I used to get one or two zits on my forehead around my period. They'd clear after a few days and I had flawless skin 80% of the time. Now, it's just been a constant stream of 3-5 at a time with no break for the past few months. And, they keep popping up in new places. One area will clear as another area breaks out for the first time ever.

I feel like something had to trigger it. Especially with the pattern of breakouts. It only happens in one area at a time. I did switch products shortly before it began. Though, switching back to my old stuff didn't help. I may not have given it enough time before I moved to prescriptions. Aside from products, I am very consistent with diet and exercise. Some would say that I'm kind of OCD. I've been running 40 miles a week for four years and eat the same things most of the time. I sleep on a very consistent schedule even on the weekends. I won't even sleep on my pillow anymore even though I was the pillowcase almost daily. I rest my ear on it and make sure the rest of my face isn't pressed against it. Stress was certainly a real factor during the school year when I was teaching, but it's not a factor right now. I'd imagine that 3 weeks would be enough to rid my self of stress hormones especially with all the exercise I get.

If it's simply hormonal because of age, wouldn't that be a gradual change? My skin isn't any oiler than it used to be. It almost seems less oily. Doesn't the shift in hormones cause you to produce more oil which in turn causes blemishes? That makes me think that the problem is with my pores. Could a product I used a few months ago damage my pores so that they now trap in the oil? If so, doesn't Differin improve your pores so that they function properly?

I'm not going to give up on the idea that something I am doing is the cause and as soon as I can determine that cause, the problem will be solved. It's not in my personality to just accept bad genetics. I have bad genetics elsewhere and have managed to conquer them. I've managed to defeat a genetic disposition for cellulite, vericose veins, cankles, and love handles. I also did manage to resolve any issues I ever had with blemishes on my forehead. I haven't had a single blemish there in over 6 months. I believe that is a record. And, it only took one month of the right products to clear! Unfortunately, my cheeks and chin find the products I use on my forehead (salicylic acid and BP) to be irritating. If something works on my forehead, then something has to work elsewhere. Especially since it came on so suddenly. I had 29 years without a single blemish on my cheeks. It only makes sense that it can return to that state. That is my natural state. There is something unnatural occuring right now. It's just a matter of figuring out what it is.