Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nygiRL1

Alternatives to EDM .. or some help!

I have oily skin, I've been using EDM intensive formula and I love how it looks on, the coverage is just enough to the point where it wont look cakey and it's really one of the few makeup lines that I've found a great skin color match with. However after a few hours it goes from great to just bad .. it accentuates my pores ALOT .. my face looks terribly greasy and just all together not good. I have there start to finish rice powder, pure silk dust, and finishing dust to control the oil, I also have oil blotting sheets and I alternate between monistat as a primer and cliniques pore minimizer which is supposed to be great for oily skin. What can I be doing wrong here, I don't want to switch makeup companies but I don't see the sense in investing money in a product that just glides off hours later..Any suggestions?

Also, I know that I can blot and apply powder throughout the day but it just seems like such a hassle, especially while im at work and I don't really want to carry around EDM's containers as it will probably just burst in my bag and create a mess. Help!

i just wrote a topic on the new prescriptives mineral foundation that just came out. i'm not sure how it will work on oily skin though since i have pretty dry skin. i would honestly just try a primer before you start searching for a new foundation. you can pick up samples at sephora, or monistat chafing relief powder gel is supposed to be really great too.

i agree that the edm jars can be a pain.... you should see all the powder residue in the make-up bag i carry around. you can also try the pressed powder formula by edm. there aren't as many color choices, and i heard the packaging isn't the best, but it's a nice portable way to carry around your minerals for throughout the day touch-up.

Are you putting your various finishing dusts on before you apply foundation or only after? Applying before may help a lot.

Maybe you can mix some of the silk dust in with the foundation?

You might try looking into a primer (monistat anti-chafing powder gel is very commonly used.)

A pressed powder might work better if you can find one in your color at the moment. They're coming out with more later, so you may have to wait. Be careful with them, though. They're fragile. Mine lasted about two weeks before it turned into a crumbly mess. I did drop it a couple times (always onto soft surfaces like towels of carpet), but even a drugstore pressed powder lasts longer than that. Taking it in your purse might cause it to break up, depending on how violent you get with you purse.

Other than that, I hear Pur minerals (you can get it at Ulta and Sephora) is worth a shot. Not too great on color selection, but it comes in pressed form which you can apply with a brush or a sponge. Way less mess. Not sure about the quality, but if you hang onto your receipt, Ulta has a good return policy for makeup.

That's all I can think of at the moment. :(

I think the major problem w/ EM and other mineral MU is the sheen they have. Like an hour after putting it on, I'm very sheeny...not just shiny. There is a difference. I don't think sheeny is a word but I don't know how else to describe it. Pearly? Metallic? haha

I read that Meow MMU isn't that way but I haven't tried it yet. Does anybody have any recommendations for MMU that doesn't have that sheen? Aubrey Nicole and Signature Minerals are WAY too dark for me so those are out.

Meow and Joppa minerals have no "sheen", but they were too "powdery" for my taste. Some people like them though. Meow has several formulas, and I only tried the flawless feline, which is heavy matte coverage.

Overly matte makeup can look mask-like & make your complexion seem dull; and while it helps shine control more, it can also turn cakey. I like a natural matte makeup to start, and then I just accept my skin will develop a "dewy" look that some people buy products to create, haha.

I keep plugging this lately (damn dhc and their samples!), but I really like DHC Q10 Moist Color Base in beige. It's basically a tinted primer with spf and my EM does not budge with that stuff. I maybe blot twice a day with it. It is great for oily skin. Check the makeup alley reviews.

I sometimes carry my EM in my purse too, but I put it in a little zip up makeup bag that keeps that fine layer of powder that leaks out from getting all over my purse. I had a bad experience in the past with EM's pressed powder and I don't want another favorite purse ruined.

^ Thanks for the replies. I wrote in my post above that I have tried both Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer as well as Cliniques Instant Pore Minimizer. They feel great on the skin and look nice but yet still my skin turns oily.

I also posted that I do use there start to finish rice powder, silk dust, as well as start to finish powder. I use the rice powder and silk dust before and after my foundation and sometimes mix it in then i use the finishing dust.

Anyway, I'll look into other mineral makeups and read some reviews.

if you don't mind blotting but still want to use EDM maybe their new puff jars will work out better? I'm not sure if they're any neater, haven't tried them, but it looks like they are

I looked into the Joppa and Meow minerals and I decided to go with the Joppa, ordered some samples so we'll see how it goes. As much as I hate to part with the EDM I just cant stand how it looks on my face within hours it just settles into my laugh lines and makes my pores look enormous!

^ Thanks for the replies. I wrote in my post above that I have tried both Monistat Chafing Gel as a primer as well as Cliniques Instant Pore Minimizer. They feel great on the skin and look nice but yet still my skin turns oily.

Not the same thing.

I looked into the Joppa and Meow minerals and I decided to go with the Joppa, ordered some samples so we'll see how it goes. As much as I hate to part with the EDM I just cant stand how it looks on my face within hours it just settles into my laugh lines and makes my pores look enormous!

I am also trying Joppa. I have very oily skin also. I have my 1st set of samples, and am waiting for another. The colors were not quite right the 1st time. I also got too oily with EDM Makeup. I think I am still going to order some of their products. Just not the foundation. I love the EDM brushes. They are so soft!

Not the same thing.

Not the same thing as what?

Have you tried an oil absorbing moisturizer? Milk of Magnesia? A layer of silk dust under the foundation?

Yes in my posts above I stated that I used the silk dust..no help at all, it looks matte at first but within an hour oily again, I'm going to pick up some M.O.M when I get a chance and see how that works out for me, I just don't want to get too excited over it because that's what happened when I bought the Monistat to use as a primer, I read all the great reviews on it but it didn't work as well for me, actually both times after I used it I got an inflamed pimple which I don't get very many of anymore mainly just comedones on my forehead so it had to be the Monistat.

Not the same thing.

Not the same thing as what?

I keep plugging this lately (damn dhc and their samples!), but I really like DHC Q10 Moist Color Base in beige. It's basically a tinted primer with spf and my EM does not budge with that stuff. I maybe blot twice a day with it. It is great for oily skin. Check the makeup alley reviews.

I also posted that I do use there start to finish rice powder, silk dust, as well as start to finish powder. I use the rice powder and silk dust before and after my foundation and sometimes mix it in then i use the finishing dust.

Anyway, I'll look into other mineral makeups and read some reviews.

oooops! sorry for not reading your post in its entirety! i have a horrible habit of skimming through and not picking up everything.

hmmmmm... what do you use for skincare? have you ever thought about maybe changing up your skin routine to help control your oil production? for example, if your stripping your skin of its natural oils, your skin will try to compensate by over producing oil.... just a thought. it could be your moisturizer too if you're using one. i find that some moisturizers will leave my skin greasier than others, making my skin look oilier throughout the day even though i have dry skin to begin with. i don't know.... just trying to think of something else you could consider.

maybe you could try a foundation that's not minerals? the clinique clarifying make-up is supposed to be good for oily skin.

Lol it's okay, I do the same thing. I use Paula's Choice and her BHA Gel, I'm not sure if there the problem because since I've been on PC my skin is actually more hydrated. As far as the Clinique makeup goes, I was using that and it was good and I like the coverage but I just hate the feeling of a heavy foundation on my skin which is why I switched to minerals. Hopefully the Joppa works out a little better since it's supposed to suit oily skin more then EDM, I'll keep you guys updated.

You can look into Monave Minerals lots of raves about them on MUA.... For EDM no one can beat their prices on kits.

So I got my joppa minerals sample, the color match wasn't the best but it was close, however when I put it on it just seemed to accentuate my pores..i've never seen them look worse, granted it could be the fact that I put it on pretty quickly just to get an idea but I even tried buffing it in and my pores look HUGE . :eh: I still can't give up on EM, I read that the matte is better for oily skin so I might get a few samples and see if I like that better than the intensive, I love the coverage I just wish it would look that good all day lol .. we'll see!