Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi all! I am a 24 yo female with moderate acne all of the time, and it gets worse with hormonal breakouts once a month. I gave Dan's regimen a try and while I thought it was helping, it ended up not making any more of a difference than anything else I've tried. I've tried everything I can think of OTC wise, and it's time to see a dermatologist. I am so sick of my skin. The tone of my whole day depends on if it's a good skin day or a bad one and I am tired of it.

I have an appointment with a dermatologist on Wednesday. Of course, I want Accutane but I know that's not likely going to happen at my first appointment. My reasoning though is that my husband and I will probably want to start trying for a baby in 2010, so I want to nip this problem in the bud now since I know most acne medications can't be taken during pregnancy.

So, that gives me a year and a half to get this problem under control. Any advice for me? Is there a medication out there that does more harm than good, or that simply doesn't work? I don't want to waste my time of things that have minimal results. I am looking to prevent acne, and not just treat it. Honestly, if I had my way, I'd go ahead and be put on Accutane NOW and forego dealing with other crap since I have a feeling Accutane will take care of the problem once and for all.

Anyways, any advice from those of you that are "older and wiser" in this arena would be appreciated. Like I said, first time going to a derm, so I'm not sure what to expect.

Even though no one replied, I figured I'd give an update. My appointment with the derm was yesterday afternoon. I was brave and arrived at the office without one lick of make up on (so incredibly tough to do). I was brought back, answered the nurse's questions about how long I've had acne and what products I've tried in the past etc., and waited for the doctor to see me.

She walked in, looked at my face, and without me even having to ask told me that I was a candidate for Accutane. Even though my acne is moderate, because I am so fair my skin is prone to scarring. Apparently, that is another reason to prescribe Accutane.

So, I am starting the process. I had my first blood test today, and will have another pregnancy test in about 30 days. I should start Accutane around Aug. 13.

Now I am researching everything I can on it, and of course I am reading some scary things. Hair loss really freaks me out. I would hate to get rid of my acne and end up with something just as bad.

But I figure I should trust my doctor and if she thinks this is the drug for me, go with it. I was really shocked though cause I figured she'd want me to try the prescription topical or antibiotic route first.

Even though no one replied, I figured I'd give an update. My appointment with the derm was yesterday afternoon. I was brave and arrived at the office without one lick of make up on (so incredibly tough to do). I was brought back, answered the nurse's questions about how long I've had acne and what products I've tried in the past etc., and waited for the doctor to see me.

She walked in, looked at my face, and without me even having to ask told me that I was a candidate for Accutane. Even though my acne is moderate, because I am so fair my skin is prone to scarring. Apparently, that is another reason to prescribe Accutane.

So, I am starting the process. I had my first blood test today, and will have another pregnancy test in about 30 days. I should start Accutane around Aug. 13.

Now I am researching everything I can on it, and of course I am reading some scary things. Hair loss really freaks me out. I would hate to get rid of my acne and end up with something just as bad.

But I figure I should trust my doctor and if she thinks this is the drug for me, go with it. I was really shocked though cause I figured she'd want me to try the prescription topical or antibiotic route first.

Hi there, first want to say congrats on getting what you wanted, its a great drug for most people, and good luck on your course! Also, if you need any help with questions about accutane and the side effects and what not message me because i have alot of experience with this drug.

Good luck again and take care