Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pandahut101

cheaper alternatives

Absolutely! All of these products are available at Wal-Mart, Target, and most of them are available in the skin care/cosmetic aile of even grocery stores!

For a facial cleanser - Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser or Purpose Face Wash

For BP - Neutrogena On the Spot (2.5%) They also have varying generic brands, but those are often higher dose of BP and not as effective as Neutra.

For Moisturizer - Neutrogena Sensitive Skin, and Cetaphil's Moisturizer are often used

Cheaper? I mean this stuff is pretty cheap. $35 for 3 8oz bottles is pretty good. Probably the cheapest acne regimen I have ever bought.

You might have a hard time finding cheaper alternatives. There are drugstore options out there, but they are generally quite a bit more expensive than Dan's products per ounce, sold in smaller quantities, and not of as good a quality as Dan's.

For cleanser, you can get a decent cleanser for about the same price as Dan's if you get the store brand knockoff of Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser for Normal-to-Oily Skin or Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser. I rather like the Target knockoff of the Normal-to-Oily cleanser, though I still prefer Dan's by quite a bit.

For BP, there basically is no cheaper alternative, even with shipping (unless perhaps you have to pay import taxes). Neutrogena On-the-Spot (the product Elsewhere mentioned) will substitute just fine, but it has a consistency that makes it harder to apply, tends to be more drying, and is much more expensive per ounce. CVS makes (or at least used to make) a 2.5% BP cream that was cheaper, which you could look for. I haven't seen one at other drugstores. Proactiv Repairing Solution (step 2 in the Proactiv kit) will also work and feels better than On-the-Spot, but it's not cheap and hard to find on its own from the Proactiv bundled kit. You can also get prescription 2.5% or 5% BP products that might be affordable through insurance, but you'll have to see a doctor/derm and pay copay, first. The prescription gels/creams are more drying than Dan's, as far as I've heard.

For moisturizer, you could try one of the Cetaphil moisturizers, or any store-brand versions thereof. I don't think it will be cheaper per ounce, but the price difference won't be as marked as that between store BP and Dan's BP.