Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aria H.

Is it bad to wash my hair every day?

My hair isn't super oily, but by the day after I wash it, it gets really oily. Is it bad, and too rough on my hair to wash every day?

People here will tell you it will strip your hair of its natural oils :rolleyes: That is such an old wives tale. Anyway, I think if you are uncomfortable with how your hair is wash it and if youre fine with how it feels then dont wash it.

If you have thin, oily hair then most professionals will tell you its okay to wash your hair daily if you need to. Otherwise, there is NO reason to wash your hair everyday.. the dryer your hair is the longer you can and should go without washing.

A trick you might want to try is sprinkling baby powder on your scalp on to absorb the oils.

Otherwise when washing, remember to concentrate on your scalp and not so much your hair, because its your scalp thats oily. This will prevent unnecessarily drying out your hair. Also, if you can, try just rinsing and conditioning your hair daily, and then only shampooing at the most every other day.

And always condition when you wash and use cool water, you need to do this to close the pores.

Thanks for the tips!

The lady that cuts my hair told me the opposite about conditioner, though. Her advice hasn't exactly worked, so I'm up for something new! :)

People here will tell you it will strip your hair of its natural oils :rolleyes: That is such an old wives tale. Anyway, I think if you are uncomfortable with how your hair is wash it and if youre fine with how it feels then dont wash it.

Washing actually does strip your hair of the natural oils. Thus, the clean feeling after washing your hair. But the oils return anyway.

But washing too often can dry out your hair. You shouldn't need to wash it more than once a day.

I have thick, curly hair and I wash it every day and it's fine even though people say not to. My hair never gets greasy but I still think its nasty not to wash it every day, especially if you workout and sweat a lot..yuuuckkkk

the only time i was TOLD not to wash my hair everyday was when i dyed it bright red, and then i was told only to wet it with cold water and when i DID wash it every other day to do so with cold water as red is the color that fades the easiest especially if its bright and does so twice as fast with warm water. i even had to use a special shampoo! (more trouble than its worth)

i wash it everyday simply because i use product on it (i have short hair so i use some mousse and gel) and because its short when i wake up its all stuck all over the place so its to clean it and avoid product build up.

however it does depend on your hair type, i know if you are african american most stylists suggest washing your hair less in order to allow for natural oils to soften normally coarse styles.

it really depends on your hair type.

next time you're at the hairdresser ask, its the best policy to get the advice straight from the person who styles it initially with the cut how best to take care of it! (that includes shampoo advice if you really trust your stylist, if they're reputable and you go to the same person they'll usually give you some good advice)

It really depends on how oily your hair gets because if it looks perfectly fine then maybe every other day although washing everyday really is not that bad I do it

Wash as often as you need to. I wash everyday. If I don't, I break out. Use a good quality shampoo (not necessarily expensive). Condition the ends, as needed.

I wash everyday

What I was told is that when they used to say that washing daily is bad, was when shampoos were much harsher. Most shampoos today are supposedly a lot more gentle to use

Washing actually does strip your hair of the natural oils. Thus, the clean feeling after washing your hair. But the oils return anyway.

But washing too often can dry out your hair. You shouldn't need to wash it more than once a day.

That hasnt been my experience. My hair hasnt been stripped of natural oils =/ I dont wash my hair more than once a day. I wash it every morning and thats it. My hair is soft because I use this redkin product before I dry my hair

Look, I wash my hair pretty much everyday because I have the same problem. One day goes by and it looks gross and oily- and let me tell you something, every single time I go to get my hair trimmed or styled, the hair stylists rave about how healthy my hair is.

So no, personally I don't think washing it daily will 'ruin' it or strip your natural oils or any of that other crap people say. Just stay away from styling is a lot, and you'll be fine.

Oh, also, I rarely use conditioner, which seems to help.

Please check out my blog for more information on skin care and makeup.

http://polkadotgems.blogspot.com/

I recommend if you do wash it every day depending on your own preference, just wash the scalp area and condition the ends. Natural oils are very imporant for keeping your hair healthy and soft. Think of it as like a sponge, if you add water to it, it will obsorb the water and be soft for a while, but then dry out and eventually become hard. However if you put oil on it, it will absorb the oil and stay soft because the oil wont dry out. Im not saying to add oil or anything to your hair (although some people do) but just trying to exlplain how constantly removing any trace of the oils isnt good.

I wash mine everyday just once...but I don't think i could go without washing it everyday because it gets oily and that just makes me feel dirty. lol

it'd be interesting to try out the conditioner only method. :)

I did this method, also known as 'poo less, for about 6 months. I loved it, it was great for my dry thick curly hair. I have no idea what I stopped though.. I really can't remember. :ninja: