Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prettybow

"Sulfermethaxazole" Anyone use this for acne?

Ive been recommended this by several people that all had acne and they say it works wonders. I have no idea what it is, I never even heard of it, but they say it works really well. Anyone on it? I was wanting to hear how it worked for you before asking for it from my doc tomorrow! thanks

I don't know anything about the med in question. Problem with antibiotics is that bacteria becomes resistant to its effect in a short time ie:6-12 months or so...and then that option is over with and you have to move onto a different antibiotic or seek a different treatment entirely. Having said that antibiotics can give people a valuable reprieve from acne and scarring. I can't see why there is any reason that you couldn't use a topical regimen of your choice with it tho you should verify with your doc.

As for topicals: bp is the most effective agent for killing p. acnes and the efficacy is pretty much the same between the different %s. In which case you may as well go with 2.5% so you have less irritation. Salicylic acid is a good kerolytic agent (unclogging/exfoliating) and has some anti bacterial activity too, it is also typically less irritating than retin a type topicals.