Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrimsonandCreamDiva

The Matrix- Red or Blue pill, you live and you learn

Day 0- Because I actually start tomorrow, but I wanted to write today.

Okay so let’s start this log w/ introductions. The cast of characters are subject to change at anytime, but there are a few that will always remain constant. First we have me!

CrimsonandCreamDiva- I’m a 26 yr old female and I have mild/moderate acne. Some of my acne is caused by food allergies. My doctor said foods do not cause breakouts, but I KNOW when I eat or drink certain foods I breakout more frequently. I use to tell people I was having an allergic reaction and that’s why my skin was always bumpy. However I stopped consuming the things that were breaking me out and lo and behold I still broke out. But it wasn’t as bad as when I ate the things that I am allergic too. More about me later.

Fe- My younger sis. She’s 4 years younger then me and she truly is my BFF! She is sympathetic to my plight and was supportive of my decision to take Accutane until she started reading about the terrible side effects. Now she has me all paranoid that I’ve made the wrong decision. :shifty:

Mama J- My wonderful mom. She has gone to several Derm appts with me. She is absolutely against me taking Accutane, but only because she loves me and is terrified of the side effects. I think she is going to become the depression police. At the first sign of depression I’m almost certain she is going to lock my Accutane up.

Dad G- My always smiling father. I’m not sure how aware he is that I’m even about to start taking Accutane. We haven’t talked about it, but I’m like 99% sure my mother has talked to him about it and told him all the reasons I should not take it.

Possible guest appearances by:

Grandmama T- My dad’s mom, who I try to visit once a week. She is a straight shooter, whose grandmother isn’t, who tells it like it is… even when no one asks.

T.B.- She’s my team leader at work. She’s like the nicest person I’ve ever met. She’s the only co-worker that I’ve told about my Accutane treatment. I wanted someone at work to know, just in case I’m irritable… but I don’t want everyone to know b/c it’s my journey and it’s personal.

Aunt R- I have a feeling I might call her a lot. She’s been through the treatment before and her skin looks AMAZING now.

Now back to ME…..

I have used various products. I’m probably one of the billions that tried Proactive and like many people I know it started out pretty good. I thought I had a solution and then BAM! it started making things worse. So I dropped good ol Pro and went to the dermatologist.

My derm placed me on an antibiotic which I never really understood, but regardless it didn’t work long term. (she told me when she prescribed it that it wasn’t a long term solution…quot;go figure.) Next came Differn, Duac, and Tazorac (I call it Tazzy). Tazzy became my new BFF :wub: b/c my complexion was clearing up, the big bumps that hurt were disappearing, and I was pretty happy, however my new BFF brought with it…. Itching, burning, a continuous red flush to my cheeks, and the peeling how can I forget the peeling!? :doh:

I have stayed with Tazzy, it’s been the closest thing to clear skin, but my skin is always slightly bumpy. In pictures my skin looks really good, but in natural light it still looks like I have acne issues. Mainly because of the dark spots the acne leaves behind. Honestly I don’t think I would mind the acne as much if it wasn’t for all those brown spots it leaves behind.

See I’m African American, so acne causes my skin to have hyper pigmentation. Which are dark spots that take FOREVER to fade.

So I’m going to try Accutane…. Or Amnesteem as my prescription says and from now on I will just call it “The Pill†hopefully people won’t think I’m talking about birth control :rolleyes: . Honestly I’m terrified. Mostly b/c I probably could live with slightly bumpy skin. So what my complexion is not clear. Tazzy makes it pretty decent. I don’t know maybe it’s the continuous maintenance of Tazzy. I mean heaven forbid I miss a day or two. I’m guaranteed to pay for with new bumps. I don’t think that’s fair. It’s impossible to be perfect. And with new bumps come new dark spots….

My biggest fear about taking The Pill is my hair. I’m sure to some of you that sounds strange, but honestly I’m not all that concerned about the initial breakout, the dry skin, dry eyes, or muscle pain b/c from what I’ve read those things go away once you stop taking The Pill. However my hair is already extremely dry. African American hair is just naturally dry. So if it gets too dry it will start breaking off, which will make me really really sad b/c my hair takes forever to grow. So along with all the other side effects I plan to keep track of while I’m on The Pill my hair will probably be #1.

Currently my hair is natural. Today I’m rocking an Afro. Many times I wear my hair pressed, but I’m afraid the additional heat will only make matters worse. If there are any people that have had experience with this hair situation I’m open to any suggestions.

I look forward to sharing my journey with anyone who is willing to stick around for the ride. But please put on your seat belt it might be a bumpy ride. (yeah I know lame… but I couldn’t resist) :snooty: .

Be Blessed,

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Hey crimson just wanted to wish goodluck to you on tane! I'm over 2 weeks in and things are looking promising! Keep your head high and depression shouldn't be a threat. Dodge it like a bullet!

Day 1 & 2-

Yeah I know… I just posted Day 0 yesterday but there’s a story…. See I typed Day 0 two days ago and I just didn’t have time to actually post it. Sooo I posted it yesterday and decided today I would post 1 and 2 together so I can catch up with where I actually am.

I did it. I took The Pill. I’m proud of myself. (I only postponed it like everyday last week)

Huh? You ask why I postponed it. Well it’s only b/c I’m a big scaredy cat! :shy:

Yep! I admit it.

I mean those possible side effects, the severe ones, are unnerving. :shifty:

So there’s no going back, unless I experience some serious side effects. I’m not sure if I’ve started experiencing side effects already or not. A few hours after I took The Pill my eyes started to feel a little dry, but they’ve been feeling dry lately anyway, so I’m not sure I can attribute it to The Pill. Also my jaw felt a little stiff when I tried to open my mouth, but that could have been some random coincidence.

In my first post I didn’t talk about my dosage. My Derm prescribed 40mg once a day. I kind of wanted to start with 20mg, but she felt it would be better to start w/ 40mg. She didn’t tell me if she was going to increase my dosage after that. I’d prefer she didn’t.

My biggest struggle with this journey will be developing a routine and sticking with it. I am terrible at sticking to new routines. In the beginning I do pretty well, however long term I almost always flake. I’ve started the routine below, hopefully it will last.

Morning Routine:

Wash face with Cethphyl

Apply Cethphyl lotion to face and body as soon as I get out of the shower

Spray hair with moisturizer

Apply Vaseline

Biotin- for hair

Vitamin E- b/c others who have taken The Pill suggested it

Fish Oil- hopefully healthy oils will help counteract the drying effect

Evening Routine:

Take The Pill- I decided to take it at night

Moistruizing crème for my hair

Everything else is the same as in the morning.

Of course I’m trying to stay hydrated too by drinking lots of water.

Summary of Day 1& 2:

Routine: I’ve done well, didn’t miss one step either morning or evening.

Acne: I have one new bump, but it’s not big and a few old bumps

Hair: Normal

Possible Side Effects: Dry eyes- maybe related to The Pill, maybe not

Tight jaw- maybe related, maybe not.

Slight pressure in ears- maybe related, maybe not.

Thanks for reading and Be Blessed,

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Day 3-

OMG! Fe and I went to Wallyworld, which is what I call Wal-mart b/c it is truly a world all by its self, yesterday to stock up on the essential moisturizing products for my body, lips and eyes and spent almost $50. I only purchased 5 products. Who knew keeping your body moisturized was going to cost so much :shock: . I’m not a big fan of Wallyworld, but I saved about $15 buy purchasing my stuff from there instead of at Walgreens :dance: .

I spent forever in Wallyworld. I asked Fe for her opinion on several products and her response was pretty much the same for all of them. I could tell by the 10th question she was really over our shopping trip. I journeyed from one isle to the next and back again, b/c I couldn’t make up my mind. My lil sis really loves me, she puts up with indecisiveness all the time.

Fe says I’m ADD. Mostly because I have focus issues. I loose stuff constantly. I can’t remember where I put things. I’m absent-minded and if I get side tracked it’s hard for me to remember where I left off :think: . Boy I hope that doesn’t get worse as I get older.

Has anyone had experience with St. Ives Clay Mask while using Accutane? I was thinking about purchasing it, but I didn’t know if that would cause my face to be overly dry. Does anyone have suggestions for a good hydrating face mask that doesn’t clog pores?

I’ve felt pretty good over the last few days :D . My face is greasy/oily. I’m not sure if it’s the moisturizer or something to do with my oil gland. Regardless I continuously blot my face so it doesn’t look so shiny. I’m not sure when it will start to dry out. Depression is non-existent at this point. Praise the Lord. I feel my normal happy self. I pray that it continues :pray: .

Summary of Day 3:

Routine: Great in the morning. Only the vitamins in the evening

Acne: Same set of bumps

Possible Side Effects: Dry eyes- I can definitely tell my eyes are dryer

Tight jaw- it’s only the left side, kind of strange if you ask me

Slight pressure in ears- gone

Thanks for reading and Be Blessed!

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Day 8-

I have like 18 million different topics to write about since it’s been 5 days since my last entry. But I will spare you the incessant rambling and stick with the high points.

I have a small confession to make. I’m still using my Tazzy. Not everyday but most days. It’s hard for me to give it up. I mean come on, it’s not easy to give up a BFF. :whistle: Especially when you have five brand new bumps on your face. Tazzy helps minimize scarring and speeds up the whole pimple cycle.

My face has not really started to dry up. It gets oily everyday. I partly think it’s the moisturizer, but regardless I still look greasy. My lips are clearly dry so I take Vaseline with me everywhere. I started using Aquaphor lip treatment at night. I really like it. :D My lips feel more moisturized after using it. But because it’s quite pricy, for the amount you get, I only use it occasionally. Vaseline is much more cost efficient.

I had a low grade headache last night. First I wanted to blame my glasses b/c I think they are too tight and push on my temples too much. Then I changed into my contacts and that didn’t help. I used my Visine eye drops hoping it was b/c I had dry eyes, but to no avail nothing worked. So I went to sleep. :sleep:

Sleep is my magic pill. Anytime I don’t feel good I just go to sleep. Usually after a good night sleep I feel much better. :dance:

To all my happy peppy or not so happy and peppy Accutane (or whatever your pill is called) users I say: Stay Strong! Life could always be worse. It doesn’t seem like it when you are the one going through bad or sad times. However if you can take just one moment to look past your current situation and think about those people across the world that don’t even have access to Accutane ( or medical help period) it helps you realize how fortunate you are. Well anyway it makes me feel fortunate! :comfort:

Summary of Day 8:

Routine: Morning went well. No vitamins in the evening

Acne: 6 new bumps- 1 above my right eye. 3 on my right cheek. 1 on my left cheek. 1 on my right shoulder.

Possible Side Effects: Dry eyes- Dry eyes, use Visine (you have to say it in a dry voice… just like that guy says it on the commercial)

Tight jaw- it’s only the left side, kind of strange if you ask me

Dry lips- Go Go Vaseline! (sung to the theme music of power rangers)

Headache- Sleep the magic medicine (hey! it works for me)

CrimsonandCreamDiva

HAIR.

Yes, hair. This is also one of my biggest fears with beginning my course. I have naturally curly hair that I've spent the past decade or more straightening until I found the absolutely BEST website... ever: www.naturallycurly.com. The forum available under curlTalk is the best place imaginable to learning about caring for your hair, naturally... no straightening, relaxing, frying... you basically throw out everything you put in hair that contains silicones or sulfates. It's a little overwhelming at first, but at least check it out.

It has seriously saved my hair. My current hair routine takes me five minutes post-shower, I let it air dry and it looks much better in my opinion than when I spent an hour or more blow drying, straightening/curling... After years and years and years, my hair is beautiful, soft and HEALTHY. And now I'm terrified about losing it, drying it out, etc as so many report as a side effect from tane.

Oh, and how are your nails holding up? I'm scared they too will also dry out, but honestly most of this stuff can be re-achieved after six months. Clear skin is going to be so worth it.

Ta ta!

Day 9-

Life is expensive!!!!

So in the short term my decision to take The Pill is costing me more money then I thought. My monthly Dr’s visits plus the medicine plus the moisturizing stuff and vitamins really add up. However over the long run, if this Pill really works then it should minimize my long term cost.

Yep, the bumps just keep on coming

I have two new small bumps in places I’ve never noticed bumps before. One on my upper eye lid and the other one is right below my lower eye lid. Hopefully they won’t be there long. And hopefully they will not get that big. I also have one new bump on my chin, one on my jaw, and one smack dab in the middle of my forehead.

Today I am having focus issues. Probably b/c I didn’t go to bed until after midnight. I woke up at 5:30 this morning. My body feels sleep deprived. So I’m going to cut to the chase and update my Summary. Which means this might be my shortest post ever. :clap:

Summary of Day 9:

Routine: Morning went well. Evening went well too.

Acne: 5 new bumps- 1 on my right eye lid, 1 beside my right eye, 1 on the chin, 1 on the jaw, and 1 on my forehead. And a host of old ones.

Possible Side Effects: Dry eyes- Dry eyes, use Visine (you have to say it in a dry voice… just like that guy says it on the commercial)

Tight jaw- it’s only the left side... not as bad today.

Dry lips- Go Go Vaseline! (sung to the theme music of power rangers)

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Hold up, wait a minute....

I truly appreciate those people who post in my journal/log. Tons of hugs for even reading my random thoughts. I just want those who stop by to know that 9 times out of 10 I will respond to you on your own log. If you don't have one then I'll respond here.

Responding on your log gives me an excuse to read about your journey. I'm a procrastinator and I know if I respond to you on my own log the chance of me ever making it over to your page is minimal. So posting in your log really helps me get to know you a little better.

So anyway I guess my minute is up...

You can now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Thank you and have a blessed day!

Day 10-

One Hundred and Forty One Pills on the wall One Hundred and Forty One Pills, take one down…. swallow it now….. One Hundred and Forty Pills on the Wall.

Yep and that is exactly where I am, 140 pills left to go.

The great news is I finished my very first 10 pack of Amnesteen pills!!!

Let’s take a trip back down memory lane… to the day I finally went to pick up my prescription…… Okay it’s not really far down memory lane, but indulge me.

I put off getting my prescription filled until the last possible moment. I think it was day 6 in the 7 day window. So I stroll up the pharmacy and drop off my script. I tell the girl behind the counter that I’m going to wait while they fill it. Two minutes later I hear my name called over the loud speaker. I use to work in a different pharmacy for this same drug store, so I know that means something is wrong. She says, “We need your i-pledge cardâ€. I’m like great!, the doctor told me to tear that stupid little card out of the booklet she gave me and put it in my purse. I ignored those words of wisdom and now I was standing in the pharmacy without my card. So I had to go home to get it.

Once I made it back to the pharmacy and paid for my prescription I noticed that the box was bigger than I expected. When I got home I opened the box to find 3 packages of 10 pills. Each package has ten pills separately wrapped in its own childproof (nearly adult proof) covering. Kind of like birth control pills.

And as if they don’t hit you over the head enough with warnings and side effects, they put a drawing of a pregnant woman on the outside of each pill package with a big don’t sign (you know the circle with the slash going through it)! I guess they want to make sure, just encase all the other tools they use to warn you about the side effects didn’t work.

Honestly I think it’s great they are being cautious, but I’m sort of over the warnings. I know, I know that’s terrible.

I put off taking my first pill for like 4 days. And finally I decided to just get it over with. I was truly tired of stressing about those side effects.

Fe caught me using my Tazzy last night. She told me to cease and desist. I’ve been trying to give it up anyway, so I guess I’m going cold turkey starting today. How sad.

I only have one new bump today, so that makes me happy.

Summary of Day 10:

Routine: Forgot to take vitamins. Evening went well.

Acne: 1 new bump- 1 in the center of my chin. And a host of old ones.

Tight jaw- not currently bothering me

Dry lips- Vaseline, but I think I’m starting to get addicted to Aquaphor, that stuff is good.

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Hey!

I don't know if anyone is paying attention, but on day 8 I mentioned one new bump on my eye lid and one beside my bottom eye lid. Well I think it's a rash. I looked a little closer and it appears to be several little bumps. Oh DEAR. I'm not sure what's causing it. It could be any number of things. My first guess would have to be the Visine. So I guess I'm going to stop using it for a few days. The odd thing is the rash is only on my right side. I'll keep you posted. Let's pray it goes away soon.

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Day 15-

Has anyone missed me? I guess not, well anyway. It’s been a few days since I’ve been able to write. Life at work has been hectic and I recently started working out with a personal trainer, so I’m pooped when I get home in the evenings. Needless to say I haven’t had time to write. I’ve had lots on my mind, though….

First I am pretty sure I’m allergic to Visine. That really sucks, b/c when I first wake up my eyes are EXTREMELY dry. Oh they hurt. Has anyone else noticed that they were allergic to Visine? If so did you find something to replace it?

My face has started to dry out a little. I can feel the difference when I wash it. Actually I think my skin looks pretty good. I have two new bumps under my chin. Most of the other bumps have started to fade. The bumps that are under my skin are still there, but you can’t really see them. I have picked at most of the bumps that have broken to the surface.

Okay we all know picking is not a good habit, but I um… well… at least I wait until they won’t bleed. So there you have it.

My face doesn’t get as greasy as quickly. It could be partly b/c my face is drying out, but I think it has more to do with the fact that I’m not slathering on Cetaphil in the morning.

I washed and styled my hair yesterday. It seems to be in decent condition. I’m still debating if I am going to press it soon or not. I’m going to Orlando soon and kind of want to wear my hair straight while I’m there. The only hesitation is humidity. And anyone with curly hair can understand what humidity does to your hair…. especially after you have spent hours straightening it. So I’m still on the fence about it.

Everything else in my routine is going pretty well. I still miss taking at least one dose of my vitamins about every other day.

I’ve gained several new fantabulous habits because of The Pill.

Everyday I put on lotion. I hate lotion. Always have, ever since I was a little girl. When I was little my dad would ask me if Jergens was on strike! He would say, “hope the strike ends soon, so they can start making lotion again.†I would sulk back into the house and put on some lotion. But trust me as soon as I got old enough I only put lotion on when I had too.

So I’m taking much better care of my skin now and I have a feeling applying lotion will be a habit by the end of 5 months.

Taking vitamins and the continuous use of Vaseline will most likely be habits too.

Well I guess that’s enough for today

Summary of Day 15:

Routine:

Vitamins: Morning-yes. Evening-nope.

Acne: 2 new bumps- both on my chin. Old ones are fading.

Hair: A little dry today, plan to moisturize tonight.

Possible Side Effects: Dry eyes- No more Visine, I think I allergic

Slight pressure in the ears.

Dry lips- Love Aquaphor. Vaseline isn’t too shabby either.

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Hey CrimsonandCreamDiva

Just read your log! I like how optimistic you are! I'm on day 32 now so I think I'm about 2 weeks ahead of you right?

You probably already mentioned this but how many months are you on it for?

And how old are you?

haha you might have mentioned these but I think tane has made me forgetful!

Brian

Just to follow up on the questions left by the other Acne.org family members that have posted in my journal, yes I said family members (although I’m pretty sure I’m not related to anyone else on Acne.org). I figure we are all suffering from very similar conditions, so it makes us all kind of like 2nd or 3rd cousins or something…. :whistle:

HEY! Just go with it okay. ;)

I am following Sid99’s advice and dodging depression “like a bullet†. Honestly I haven’t had any sad days. I feel extremely blessed. :D

If you mosey on over to Stellar88’s log you will see my response to her, but in general my nails have always sucked… er I mean… have always been slow growing and brittle, so I have not noticed much change in them. However when I touch my nail bed it does seem drier than I remember. So if you care about your nails you might want to take a trip to Sally’s (or whatever your beauty supply store is called) and by some nail strengthener.

Finally thank you NoAcneFuture for saying I have an upbeat log/journal. Yes, I think you are about 2 weeks ahead of me. I am on 40mg for 5 months. Although my Dermatologist might up my dosage to 60mg for months 3-5. I’m 26!

Thanks for stopping by!

Day 17:

I’m praying that things continue to go as well as they are currently going. :pray: My complexion has really started to clear up. I’m pleasantly surprised and thrilled. I have my 2nd pregnancy test next week, well actually I guess it’s my 3rd since they make you take one when you sign up for the program and then again when the Dermatologist actually writes out your prescription.

I really hope my Derm doesn’t change my prescription. I’m not sure I’m even going to see her when I go. Last time I just saw a nurse, who took my blood and wrote a prescription. If she says my dosage has to increase I swear I will protest. :snooty:

Has anyone had success staying on 40mg for less than five months?

I forgot to take my Vaseline to work yesterday. Luckily I had some regular lip gloss in my purse, but I could tell my lips were not happy. As soon as I walked in the door from work I ran to find my Vaseline.

My precious…My precious… :drool: ( just like little dude said it on Lord of the Rings.)

I feel like an addict. I about had panic attack when I realized I didn’t have any Vaseline.

I will be honest. My daily routine is slowly falling apart.

Last night I fell asleep with my contacts in…. I know, Terrible! My eyes were screaming WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!?! when I woke up this morning. I wish I could say it was a complete accident, but I laid down on my bed… it was only supposed to be for 5 minutes…. However I knew as soon as my head hit that pillow there would be no getting back up.

*Sigh* :naughty: I’m going to put a contact case beside my bed. That should alleviate the “too lazy to get out of bed syndromeâ€.

I have one new bump that is growing right side of my forehead. I think it’s going to be a big one. Mama J would call it a Gila Monster. lol. Honestly I had to Google it to figure out what a Gila Monster is… And for those of you that care, it’s a not so attractive looking lizard.

Speaking of Mama J. She told me the other night that she thinks she can see my skin improving. What? Did I hear that correctly? Mama J, seems kind of optimistic. :) Although she did say Fe and I were going to make her turn gray early b/c we are stressing her out w/ worry.

Well before I lose my audience I am going to sign out.

Summary of Day 17:

Routine:

Acne: 1 new bumps- right side- forehead. Old ones are fading.

Hair: Still dry, plan to moisturize tonight.

Slight pressure-gone

Dry lips- Love Aquaphor. Vaseline isn’t too shabby either.

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Day 18:

My eyes are dry, My eyes are dry, My eyes are dry. I was miserable yesterday. I just wanted to cry, not because I was sad, but because I wanted my eyes to feel better. :cry: I think my eyes feel better when they have contacts in them. My eyes have this continuous bloodshot look. Fe said they look yellow.

What? Yellow? :shock: Isn’t that a bad sign or something?

So far my vision has been okay, but there have been a few times when I have felt like I had to tell my brain to focus my eyes. Kind of hard to explain, but needless to say is not a good thing.

Is anyone else allergic to Visine? Have you found an alternative?

OMG! What am I going to do about my hair? It is sooo dry. And the website that I order my moisturizer from is extremely slow. I have waited too long to place an order and I am almost out of moisturizer.

I blame no one but myself.

Go ahead and shake your head and do that tisk tisk tisk sound :naughty: , because that is what I deserve!

It’s really sad though, b/c now I am starting to panic…. but I am still going to press my hair next week. Hopefully it will be able to handle the heat.

My Gila Monster bump on the right side of my forehead turned out to be nothing. However an unexpected appearance has been made by a pretty white, puss filled bump on my chin. As much as I would love to pop it, I can tell it’s not ready. So every time I pass a mirror I look to see if it’s still there.

Of course it is… where would it go? :rolleyes:

My water consumption is way way way way way way way down. I have to do better, but I’m just uninspired. This is probably contributing to the dry hair, but by no means is it the cause.

WOW This post seems kind of sad, so on a happy note.... It's Thursday... One day left in my work week! YES! So excited!

I done for today… Unless something fantabulous happens and I feel the need to share.

Summary of Day 17:

Routine:

Acne: 1 puss filled one on my chin. Old ones are almost non-existent.

Hair: It fills like Brillo pad. I mean it is really dry!

Dry lips- Extra peely today.

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Yellow eyes.... you could be mildly jaundiced. It would seem logical considering accutane essentially "eats" your liver.

No discouragement intended. I guess I felt the need to contribute to the sadness, I'm suffering right along with you.

Oh, and I would like to mention I hate, HATE visine. I think I've even read somewhere (maybe here?) that visine is not a good choice for chronic dry eyes (accutane induced or not). I have been using Systane, than switched to GenTeal gel (which is pretty good) and also got a box of travel cartridges called "Bausch & Lomb Soothe long lasting bla bla bla" Just look for anything that is targeted for chronic use --artificial tears.

While you wait for your hair treatment to show up, try making one at home. I love home-made DTs and the best part is that you can usually find all the ingredients in your kitchen already. My favorites include mixing a good conditioner with some oil (I love coconut or jojoba, but extra virgin olive oil works just as well if you can stand the texture/smell) and some honey. Sometimes I'll throw in an egg yolk or even a blended banana... depends on how creative (and messy) you want to get... mix it up real good, zap it for a few seconds and throw it on wet hair. Adding heat is even better, you can use a moist towel heated a little in the dryer and wrap it up for half an hour or so before rinsing as usual = Viola!

I must sound like a hippie... (what?! she puts bananas and eggs in her hair? :doh: ) I swear though, it's worth a try if you get desperate enough while waiting for UPS to show up!

Ta-ta!