Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kimothy

Calling all those who suffer with picking

Right now my face is red and raw in certain places due to picking. I'm usually not this bad, but for some reason it's been terrible for the past couple days. My main issue is that I cant STAND it when my skin feel rough and uneven. It's the worst when my skin is trying the heal because that causes lots of scab-like skin to form..... and I end up picking it off. I KNOW I need to stop doing this because it's an absolutely horrible habit (although I don't know if that's the right word for it). My skin seems to be prone to red marks as well, so it's especially important that I get over this. I'm going on a trip in about 4 days and I'm aiming to lay off picking so that my skin will heal up nicely. I want to feel at least semi-comfortable when I have to take off my makeup in the hotel room (since my boyfriend will be with me). Anyone have any good tips on how to heal damaged facial skin quickly (without causing breakouts)?

Also... share your own woes with picking if you are experiencing anything like I am.

I know where you're coming from... I have trouble keeping my hands off my face but as I get older I'm realizing that I do create worse looking marks after picking and they seem to take a lot longer to go away than when I was younger. I have found that Mandelic acid not only made my face smoother but also a bit more sensitive so that if I am tempted to start touching anything, it's even more likely to leave a mark. But I see this as a good thing because my skin looks better and it has forced me to be more careful. I didn't experience an IB using it but unfortunately it took longer than four days for me to see really good results so it might not work in time for your trip. (Probably more like two or three weeks.)

I used to use Neosporin also (I've pretty much conquered picking, so scabs are not an issue now :dance:). It's okay to use now & then on open wounds (like picked open pimples with scabs), just not as a regular acne treatment.

To smooth flaky, scabby spots, a moisturizer with an AHA should help. Spot treating with AHA will definitely help with redmarks, but those always take a lot of time to fade no matter what it seems.

The fastest thing to fade redmarks for me is the regular use of retin-a, but it's one of those things that takes time to show results, and then it maintains skin very well. Even when I get a zit now it doesn't leave behind a mark for as long.

4 days is not a lot of time.... Best thing to do is be gentle, don't overdo with topical treatments, and moisturize well so your skin can repair itself.

I tend to start picking while I'm in the shower. :shifty: It's starting to become a daily routine for me and I only feel bad afterwards.

I guess it's only when I'm completely clear that I can kick the habit since I won't have anything to pick on anymore. Hope that time comes quickly.

man i know how u feel. im using tretinoin and it makes u peel like no other. hang in there and just remind urself tht ull have marks leftover after peeling and tht doesnt leave for months.. :[

oh boy, can I ever relate. I don't know how to stop pickign - I swear, I could stand after a shower and pick and squeeze at every pore on my body for an hour. It's really bad.

but for the original poster, I find that when I'm on vacation my skin clears up so nicely - why? because I don't have time to pick.

And don't worry about your Boyfriend. Chances are you look much better without makeup anyway. I know when I was in my 20's I was always trying to cover up the pimples and scabs with makeup and then one day my best friend said to me "you know that just makes it more obvious" and she was right - instead of looking like a nasty picked pimple it looked like a nasty picked pimple covered with nasty makeup. Plus, I think things clear up better and quicker when they're not all covered.

So don't worry about what he thinks. If he's really a great guy he won't think twice about your skin and will probably not even notice. I remember my husband, long after we were married, I said to him that I was sick of my skin and he said "why? there's nothing wrong with your skin" Love really IS blind.

I started really picking at my skin when I was about 16. I am now 20. I used to pick at my back a lot which was not good because now I have somewhat blotchy skin that I don't think I would have if I hadn't picked. I have kicked the picking habit on my back, and it looks so much better. However this took like three years to do. Basically I got older, realizing what I was really doing to my skin.

My face is another story. I still pick at it (although I mostly squeeze pores, not pick) and it is often red. A lot of times I stay in the house for a few days until it goes away or improves. I have missed many social events because of this picking habit.

I have gotten much better with it (have got the squeezing down to about once a month) and thankfully my skin has healed great each time. Now when I squeeze my face I make sure it is an educated, worthy squeeze to get impurities out, and not an impulse thing. Because of that, I do not feel badly afterward, especially after all the gunk I get out, I feel so much cleaner.

Basically it takes a lot of will power and concentration to stop touching your face. I just know that 9 out of 10 times the damage I do will be 100x worse than the pimple was before. And I NEVER squeeze anything inflamed, only comedones.

Good luck!

I used to, but one day I started to feel sick when I touched my face I would get really guilty so I stopped over time, it's easy one you kick the habit. I used to have breakdowns If i touched my face, I felt so so so bad. Because I knew I was causing scarring.

i woz just pickin as i woz readin this :wall: .

i wud like to try cuttin my nails as mentioned by 'duchamp'

I used to, but one day I started to feel sick when I touched my face I would get really guilty so I stopped over time, it's easy one you kick the habit. I used to have breakdowns If i touched my face, I felt so so so bad. Because I knew I was causing scarring.

I experienced the same thing. I would feel sooo guilty after picking at my face. I would cry and wish I could turn back time to undo the damage.

i woz just pickin as i woz readin this :wall: .

i wud like to try cuttin my nails as mentioned by 'duchamp'

ha! I've got nothing for nails and I still manage to pick. I swear if I had no fingers I'd probably still find a way to pick. I have one of those comedone extractors. I swear it's the best thing I've ever bought, or the worst, depending on how you look at it. AT LEAST I can extract with minimal damage to surrounding skin, but I do it so much more now.

i'm sorry, this isn't helping.

I've done my fair share of picking, neosporin ended up really causing an allergic reaction, after years and years of using it without a problem I became allergic. The best thing to use to heal up little spots or big one's is unpasteurized honey you can get at a local health food store. Or manuka honey you can get online. It kind of stings when I first apply, but then it feels better within an hour. The trick I've found is just dab a little bit on the spot, then cover with a little square of saran wrap, then put some gentle paper tape over it, you can get at any pharmacy otc. Bandaids just rip your skin up too much when you remove them. Anyways the honey will make the spot kind of turn red at first but then when your skin is saturated with it overnight it will start to turn whitish and the next morning you just rinse and it will be a type of thin scab that is easier to apply makeup over.

Also if you think you really have OCD with the picking, google inositol for compulsive skin picking and start taking it. It's a b vitamin.

Oh, I'm a veteran picker. I started out with the fingernails until someone introduced me to one of those metal blemish removers.

I've gotten a lot better about it, though. On my face, I try to only pop zits that are ready to go, i.e: they have a yellow or white head on top.

Body acne is a different story, though. I don't have a lot of it, but whenever I get the occasional zit on my back or my chest, I go to town on that sucker, which leads to picking at any smaller, unnoticeable zits in the same general area. This always leaves me with redmarks galore, which I automatically regret inflicting on myself.

I have this problem big time!!! I guess Ive got to just try really hard and be aware of what im doing at all times-- dont know im doing it half of the time ya know? If i can kick a heroin habit cold i think i can kick a picking one too. lol

Took me months to conquer my picking habits. I just keep telling myself that I'm not making it any better. That and I busy my fingers with other things like writing. I find writing really helps. All suicidal tendencies put on paper and expunged from my mind.

I too have this problem! If I have any zit or anything that is raised up on my face I have to squeeze and pick at it. Sometimes I regret it sometimes I don't. The worst is when I have flakiness. Me and my tweezer are best friends! lol