Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emma J

Should I go on Accutane? Please reply, I could really use advice

Hey, I'm a girl who's about to start accutane in like...2 weeks I suppose. I've been reading about it and some people love it but some people had a lot of problems with it. Do the pros outweigh the cons? I'm almost positive I'm going to do this because I've had some form of acne since I was like 8 or 9 (I'm now 16, I know that makes me sound gross that I've had it so long but you have to understand how tired of feeling self concious I am). I had a few bouts with what I would probably call mild depression. I didn't tell my dermatologist this because after being on birth control for three months, it's completely gone. I'm staying on the pill while on Accutane (obviously) so will that help balance out its "depressing effects"??? Some advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I'm willing to put up with a few months of depression again if it'll clear up my face which sounds weird but I'm so sick of acne; I've tried EVERYTHING to clear it, and I mean everything. I've got an amazing boyfriend who I've been dating for 10 months who loves me either way and awesome friends who also don't care what I look like so both of those really make it easier to stay positive. Did anyone else go through a similar situation? Any tips for keeping positive while on the meds? Just some opinions would be nice because I'm kind of nervous about starting the Accutane.

Thanks

Emma J

I would not reccomed going on accutane. You are still a teenager. It can mess with your bone growth. I am 24 and just started the tane like a month ago.

I would say DO go on Accutane. If you've tried everything (retinoids, antibiotics, birth control) then Accutane should be your answer. You're 16, you're so young and you shouldn't have to live some of the best years of your life with acne.

I'd definitely recommend accutane, given that you've tried so many other things.

you should keep in mind that most people who have a good experience with accutane won't post on here, so the forum gives a pretty biased view of how often some side effects show up

keeping positive? the easiest way is exercise.

Do NOT go on accutane. (I am alot older than you) but I was on it and it didn't work. Alot of side effects. It causes unknown long term damage. Do your research and try other things before prescriptions and especially accutane. Good luck.

I went through a similar situation too, i'm 18 btw, i wish i took it earlier so i didnt have to go all through high school with bad skin. at first i was very hesitant to go on it because i read about all the people getting bad side effects and all the horror stories. i was already going through mild depression, i didnt want to be even more depressed. I'm on it now, and my face is the clearest its ever been in years and i barely break out anymore. If anything, I'm less depressed because my skin looks better. If you've tried everything, i suggest you go on it.