Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mellieh

Upping your own dose- how did you handle w/dr?

I have been on 75 mg/day since March. I thought I was doing very well, but the last 3-4 weeks I have been breaking out! So I have added 1 pill for the last week (to 100 mg/day) & was thinking about my dr. For those of you who upped your own dose, how did you address it with you dr? A phone call to the office asking to change dose? Fessing up? Just refilling bottles more frequently?

I didn't think there were any pharmacies that would allow you to refill sooner than 30 days from the date of your last refill. It's never a good idea to adjust your own dose. I'd call the doctor and ask if you can increase.

Only twice in the year I've been on spiro have I felt the need to increase my dosage. And both times I called my doctor's office and asked if it was OK to up my dosage (only by 25 mg/day each time). They were OK with it but they wanted me to come in the office to see the doctor and then the doc ordered bloodwork to be done about 3-4 weeks after the increase in dose.

mellieh, did you call your derm? Did s/he up your dose?

Nevermind....I just saw that you posted this morning. Keep us posted as to what s/he says.

OK- I just heard from the derm. This is what they said: yes I can up my dose by 25 mg/day, but they want me to have my bp taken today & call to tell them, take my bp again in 2 weeks & call to tell them, get more blood work in 1 month, then come back to them for a check up in 2 months. It seems like a heck of a lot of hassle for 1 extra pill a day!! I guess that's what I'll do, tho. The tough thing about seeing this doctor is that she's 2 hours away. My local derm was a waste- I dealt with her for several years & she never seemed very concerned about my acne.

Anyway, I guess I will move ahead with this. Just wanted to fill everyone in!

OK- I just heard from the derm. This is what they said: yes I can up my dose by 25 mg/day, but they want me to have my bp taken today & call to tell them, take my bp again in 2 weeks & call to tell them, get more blood work in 1 month, then come back to them for a check up in 2 months. It seems like a heck of a lot of hassle for 1 extra pill a day!! I guess that's what I'll do, tho. The tough thing about seeing this doctor is that she's 2 hours away. My local derm was a waste- I dealt with her for several years & she never seemed very concerned about my acne.

That seems pretty reasonable. But it stinks that you have to drive 2 hours!

I hope the extra 25 mg does the trick for you. It's helped me a lot each time I've upped my dose. I'm up to 100 mg/day now but my derm and I talked about going back to 75 mg/day during fall, winter, and spring. My skin was practically from late winter through spring until it got warm and then I could tell my face was getting oily and sweaty again and I had a little breakout at the beginning of JUne. It's totally under control now and I hope 100 mg will keep things good for the rest of the summer because my derm basically said that 100 mg is the most he's ever presribed for acne...meaning I guess that's the most he's going to prescribe!

That seems pretty reasonable. But it stinks that you have to drive 2 hours!

I hope the extra 25 mg does the trick for you. It's helped me a lot each time I've upped my dose. I'm up to 100 mg/day now but my derm and I talked about going back to 75 mg/day during fall, winter, and spring. My skin was practically from late winter through spring until it got warm and then I could tell my face was getting oily and sweaty again and I had a little breakout at the beginning of JUne. It's totally under control now and I hope 100 mg will keep things good for the rest of the summer because my derm basically said that 100 mg is the most he's ever presribed for acne...meaning I guess that's the most he's going to prescribe!

I wondered if it's a summer thing for me too- I have started running outside instead of indoor workouts, so I've been sweating more & wearing more sunscreen. Maybe when it cools off I can go back to 75mg. Thanks for your input!

Yea, that does seem like a lot to do, but it is good that your dermatologist is on top of things like that. So many docs these days will prescribe anything without thinking twice.

Good luck!