Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoAcneFuture

Brian's Summer Vacation of Accutane!

Hey everyone!

My name is Brian and I am almost 19. I have had acne since I was maybe 15 or 16. I have mild or moderate acne on my face and back.

The acne on my face was never a huge problem until I went away to university last September. All of a sudden, my forehead (where I hardly ever got pimples previously) was horribly broken out. Since getting back home two months ago however, my skin has cleared up a lot. At school I was eating really unhealthily, did little to no exercise and I had terrible sleeping habits. I definately cleaned up my act once I came home and next year at school I plan to live a much healthier lifestyle.

Although my facial acne cleared a bit on its own when I came home, I decided I would still like to try Accutane. The acne on my back is very persistant and I'm really embarrased of it. I was just on vacation down south and I wouldn't swim with my family. I made excuses and waited until they were done so I could swim by myself. Even then I only swam for like 20 minutes in a one week vacation. I feel like its holding me back so much... I don't take my shirt of in front of friends and its hard to lie about why I don't want to swim or participate. :boohoo:

I had tried the Proactiv system, the Clinique system, prescription topicals and also minocin (which I was allergic to). Everything is so expensive and complicated, I just want to be rid of my acne forever.

My derm originally recommended Accutane for me about 18 months ago and it really offended me. I thought it was rude to suggest my acne was bad enough for accutane, which was definately stupid considering how much worse my acne got over the next year. So now I am going back to the derm and I'm on the tane!

I weigh about 65 kgs and am on 60mg/day of brand-name Accutane. I started on June 13/08 so that made today Day 16.

I have a few questions for all you resident experts though! I've been told by 3 different doctors that a 3 month course should be fine. If I take 60 mg/day for 3 months, I will only reach 83mg/kg by the end of my course. That doesn't seem to be enough, I thought I was supposed to take 120mg-150mg/kg. So I've been thinking that maybe I should ask to be bumped up to 80mg/day for my last 2 months? That would put me at 101mg/kg. Slightly better but still not there! So then I thought maybe I should stay on for another month, but the issue is that I don't want to be on Accutane while I am away at school. I want to be able to drink and have fun without having sickly dry skin and lips. This summer I am already being very disciplined and not drinking on my 19th birthday (legal here in Canada). Then what I considered is taking a smaller dose for my last month so the side effects would be lessened. Perhaps 40 mg a day for Sept? That would FINALLY put me at 120mg/kg.

So what do you all think? Should I take a chance and go with what the doctors say (3 months) or does my 4 month plan of 60/80/80/40 sound any good?

I really don't want to be on accutane at school, I'm not even telling any of my friends that I am on the drug. But I feel like my acne and bacne NEED to be gone soon or I will go crazy.

Day 16

So far the side effects haven't been horrible. I have chapped lips, dry skin and a very sore lower back when I go to bed at night. I think I have recieved two waves of an IB, neither was THAT bad, nothing I haven't dealt with before. Right now I feel like my skin is clearing, hopefully it won't be cyclical with the breakouts. Two is enough! I felt a big zit under the skin between my eyes 2 days ago and thought it would be smart to pop it (against all common sense). In the end, the zit wouldn't even pop and I literally took a layer of skin off so the scab between my eyes looks worse than any zit.

A few days ago I felt really bloated and had a sore stomach (like pressure of something) but I feel fine now. I think maybe it was just my guts getting used to the tane?

Depressing note of the day: My cousins (5 of them) are visiting at the end of July and I really want my face to be clear by then. They are all under the age of 10 and always make comments about my acne (Like "whats on your face?", "why do you have so many?" etc) They obviously don't mean to hurt me but it's so embarrassing.

To make my log a little more interesting, I think I'll do a song of the day or joke of the week or something!

Song of the Week: A Rush of Blood to the Head (Live) by Coldplay. This song is just great and I'm getting ready to be clear by the time I see Coldplay at the end of the summer!

Okay, that's it. Sorry for the encylopedia but I had a lot to say. I can't wait to be clear and I know Accutane will be what gets me there!

Thanks in advance for any input and advice, I'll try to put up pics asap!

Brian :)

Day 17

I feel pretty good today. Last night before going to bed I put Polysporin on my huge scab and this morning it flaked off and hardly left a mark. Other than that I have 2 big actives but I'm feeling okay about my skin at this point.

This afternoon I went to the gym (I feel a little more tired than usual) and after I showered, I slathered my body in Cetaphil. Now I feel soooooo good. I put Saline in my nose, eye drops in my eyes, lip chap on my lips and cetaphil all over my face and body. This is probably the most comfortable I have felt in a while.

This week I think I'm going to go for my blood tests (maybe on the 4th) then next week (on the 10th) I'm meeting my derm. I have so many questions and concerns, I can't wait for the appointment.

I hope someone is reading this!

Brian

wow you're right - were in the same boat.

I don't use cetaphil, I stick with lubriderm (sp?) on my body (hands feet elbows and other dry spots) and then the Lush stuff on my face. I do recommend it however it you'll feel really gay shopping at that store. I went in with a girl so I felt sort of justified being there...

or you could always go on the website. Also check out the "coalface" bar, I hear it gets rid of red marks, but I haven't tried it so I don't know.

well good luck. It'll be cool to compare progresses cause we have the same problem spots/age/gender/etc

Day 18

Today my face feels okay, not too many actives. I am however getting a little rash on my wrist and my arm.

My new lip chap is Neutrogena and it feels very good, I think I like it more than the Carmex.

Anyways, pretty good day overall.

Day 29

Hey Everyone

So today is day 29 which means I went to the Derm yesterday. Unfortunately he informed me that I had to stay on Accutane for 5 months, not the 3 months I was originally sold on. I think this sucks ass since I might not have chosen to go on Accutane had I known I would be taking it until the beginning of November. I cant believe it. All I want is to go back to school in September and be normal and be able to go out and drink as a nineteen year old.

Does anyone know how much I can drink once in a while without really hurting myself?

My derm is way more on the ball than my family doctor though. So he made me sign a consent form and sent me to the blood lab right away for my tests etc. He also gave me some cream (beta-something?) for the rash on my wrist.

My derm also told me he would've started me on 30mg/day (my family doctor gave me 60mg/day).

My face is shitttttttt right now. Forehead looks terrible, sides and nose are looking pretty good. Most of my blackheads have been pushed out. Back is looking pretty good too.

Only 100 something days left. woohoo

From the lack of replies, I see I'm about as popular on here as I was back in Junior High hahaha

Hey! im 21. I've been on Accutane for about 3 months now. all the side effects do suck. My lips are always chapped, my face is dry, but all i keep thinking is that in a couple months, i am going to have super clear skin! and then im not so down about any of the side effects. Im actually kinda lucky tho, i haven't had many side effects. actually, now that im in month 3, my lips and skin aren't even too dry anymore. My Dr. is increasing my dosage though, so they might all come back. :/ and this would have been my first summer being 21, and I CANT DRINK! do you know how horrible that is! lol For my first 2 months i didn't drink AT ALL. When month 3 came around, i went on vacation and have throughout a week a total of maybe 7-8 beers. When my bloodwork came back, it was fine. Perfect my Dr. said actually. So im sure if you were to have a beer here or there, it won't kill you (but im not a doctor so who knows, lol) but just don't over do it.

-Emily

Hey Emily - thanks for responding!

The no drinking thing really sucks, so many big events are coming up and I want to be able to drink but oh well.

The past two mornings I've woken up with blood on my pillow from nosebleeds which I'm not too happy about anymore. Does anyone know somehting good I can use? The saline drops don't seem to be helping enough.

Hey Brian,

First of all thank you for stopping by my log/journal.

I just finished reading about your journey thus far, and I think it's unfortunate that your length of time on Accutane has been extended.

Try to think of it this way... It might suck to not be able to drink for like 2 months while you are in School, however it would suck even more if you had to spend the entire semester concerned about your acne. (Although I guess alcohol could wash away that concern from time to time...lol)

Hopefully focusing on the end result. Fabulous skin. Will help you not focus so much on the inability to drink. Like Emily said, if you do decide to drink, Do Not over indulge! Your liver will hate you for it.

Um and what happened to the Song of the Week? You posted one when you first started, but I didn't see one for this week.

Oh and I don't have many replies on my page either, but I keep writing b/c it's therapeutic for me. It helps me vent. Even if no one else is listening. So keep writing. I'll try to stop by from time to time and check on you.

To respond to the questions you asked… I’m on 40mg for 5 months. Although my Dermatologist might up my dosage to 60 for months 3-5. I’m 26 years old.

CrimsonandCreamDiva

Sooo weird, our stories are a LOT alike.

I'm almost 19 too, and have had acne since I was 15 or 16 as well and it's always been mild-moderate on my face and back too. Mine got worse going off to university in the fall too! Except I was eating healthy and exercising, so go figure :( but I wasn't getting a lot of sleep, maybe 4-5 hours a night. But mine has been clearing up ever since being home as well, just not clear..so I took the Accutane plunge as well.

Good luck to you on your journey, though. I know how you feel about the whole alcohol thing, I'm going to hate not being able to drink until December too :| I've read how some users are fine drinking, and some aren't. Maybe take it slow, drink on the weekends without going overboard and see how your bloodwork comes back.

Oh also, my cousins (3 of them) are all coming to my house for a weekend at the end of July as well! Two of them are under 10 and the other is 13, so I get the 'What's on your face?' too =/

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for replying, I really appreciate it!

Today I had a derm appointment and it was so frustrating, its so impersonal and i always feel like they are speaking down to me. Makes me upset but oh well. I think I'll stay on 60 mg/day for 3.5 months and then be on 40 mg for the last 1.5 months. That way I'll have less side effects when I'm at school and a little drinking won't be as hard on my liver.

My face looks pretty bad right now, lots of under the skin stuff coming up around my cheeks where I usually dont have pimples. My forehead looks ok though and my back is doing very well. I thought my nose had purged all my blackheads already (it had already gone through a cycle of being rough and bumpy then being smooth) but its bumpy again. So I guess the blackhead removal is like a cycle that clears your nose etc a little more each time.

My rash on my wrists is ridiculously stubborn but at least it doesnt itch anymore!

I saw the Dark Knight at midnight tonight! Very entertaining, Heath Ledger was phenomenal.

Song of the Week: Exit Music (For a Film) - Radiohead

Oh and I'm on day 34 or something

Hey everyone!

Day 39

Not much is changing, but i feel like maybe I'm past getting breakouts (fingers crossed). I have a few little spots around my temples but other than that, its just red marks.

This is way better than even a week ago. Maybe I've finally turned the corner?

Still dry skin, dry lips, dry eyes etc. Still applying betamethasone (i think thats its name) to my wrists and forearms to keep my rash from coming back too strong. Not as much back pain as I had in the beginning either so I'm feeling pretty good.

My back is okay, just tons of red marks but not actives. I have 111 days left. Oh boy.

The only thing that makes me mad is the fact I can't drink, I'm going to have a few beers this weekend to test it out though. I'll probably drink 2 beers and die haha.

Song: Hero by Nas

Okay, hope everyone is having a good week

feel free to ask questions!

Hi!

Since finding this site I've been lurking around the accutane logs, but I don't respond very much - mainly because I'm not taking accutane so I don't feel like I have much to contribute.

BUT, I did want to say to you Brian/NoAcneFuture that I admire you and all of the people who have the guts to take control and get accutane. Some of those side effects are.... well, its quite the test of character! Persevere; a lot of the people around here have had some amazing results.

Good luck and good health to you!

:clap::dance::clap:

good luck with continuing tane, i did it last summer to winter and stopped early after like 3 months. I wish i hadn't, i will most likely be going back in this week to go back on it, but at least the first time through has stopped me from getting cysts and other more severe forms of acne.

aww that rash, is it like black dots or crap all up your arm? i got that twice and another one of my friends who was on tane got it too. scared the crap outta me when i first got it but it went away

i hear ya on the rashes..mine was REALLY bad, and what was worse is that i scratched it like crazy so it became this huge red, itchy, burning patch on my forearms. my derm gave me that betamethasone cream as well and it doesn't itch as long as i apply it every night...but the scratching left me with some brown marks =/

Hey everyone

Day 51

I'm 34% done my course and there isn't much new to add. Skin is just okay, get a few new actives once in a while but side effects arent that bad. Dry skin and lips are manageable and I had 4 beers last weekend, didnt die and my bloodwork came back great. I'm not going to use that as an excuse to drink in excess but I like knowing I can have a few beers once in a while.

Right now I think it's just a waiting game until I'm done in November.

Only 99 Days left!!!

Brian

Hey everyone

Today is day 67

I havent updated in a while but I guess thats a good thing as my skin is getting better. Red marks suck and I get a new pimple occasionally but its definately improving. I talked to my derm and we decided that I should just stay at 60mg/day for my entire 5 month course.

Side effects arent that bad, dry skin, dry lips, some pain in my legs and back after long runs but nothing horrible.

I skipped a pill last week and took my pill really late at night one night but I'm trying to be consistant about when I take it to maximize its effectiveness.

Coconut skins by Damien Rice is a great song.... and thats about all I have to say. I'm 44% done and only 84 days left. Not bad at all.

Hope everyone is having as easy a time as me!

Glad to hear things are going well for you. I just took my very first pill yesterday, so obviously I haven't noticed any side effects yet. I hope that I don't get anything too terrible! It sounds like you're responding well to it, and that the side effects have been manageable.

Thanks for sharing your log!

Hey everybody

its Day 77 (51% done)

no big changes since the last time i posted, my skin is still good

i would say i get about 1 new pimple every 2 or 3 days?

the red marks are the only bothersome part, the dryness doesnt seem as bad as it once did, ive probably just gotten used to it.

i had to wear contacts for the first time since going on accutane the other day and wow was it horrible, my eyes hurt so much so fast, i took them out asap and will stick to glasses until november.

im going back to university on sunday, with better skin than i left with in may so im glad i went on accutane. my only regret is that i didnt start it as soon as possible. i put it off for over a month at the beginning of the summer and it only delayed a good thing.

since ill be in a different city, i wont be seeing my derm anymore, im going to see if the student health centre can keep giving me accutane. if they cant/wont, i guess ill be making a few trips back home this semester.

thanks so much for reading and giving me support, cant tell you how much i appreciate every reply i get!

brian

Day 116

Hey everyone

I havent posted here in a long time which can only mean good things!

My skin looks incredible, I havent gotten a new pimple in about a month I would say. I have pesky red marks but I'm sure they will fade eventually.

Im still dry and achey everywhere and I broke a bone in my foot recently, hopefully accutane wont slow the healing process - crutches are annoying!

I'm going to the derm tomorrow for hopefully my last time. I was originally supposed to be on accutane for 150 days but the way my course has gone, I will finish at day 132. I'm praying my derm thinks thats okay cause thats like two weeks away!

That puts my cumulative dose at about 125 mg/kg which I'm pretty sure is enough.

Even if my derm gives me another month, at least I'm within striking distance of the end!

Im so excited to talk to her tomorrow, I have a lot of questions to ask her about what products I should use etc.

Hope everyone is feeling as happy on tane as I am,

Brian

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to update. Ive been off accutane for something like 14 months now and my skin is still fine!

For the first year after tane, my skin was perfect. Now i get an occasional zit that benzoyl peroxide can handle. I really want to let everyone know that ACCUTANE IS AMAZING (for like 99% of people). The journey sucked but the destination was so worth it!

I don't worry about my skin anymore, and that is an awesome freedom.

Hey, I read your Accutane log and it's great!

I just have one question: did accutane help you with blackheads and did acc. help you with red marks?

Thanks for this awesome blog! :)