Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dhays88

Should I use the expensive Benzaclin or Regular BP

Just wondering if the benzaclin is better than regular neutrogena bp. It is a lot more expensive, and wonder if I should keep buying it. I dont have a lot of money. Thanks.

I think as long as it's 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide it works. I use Proactiv's because Neutrogena is hard to put on but Dan uses Neutrogena. I wouldn't splurge on the Benzaclin, especially since Dan's BP is coming out soon.

The brief answer is no, they're not the same. Here's the more extended rambling...Benzaclin contains clindamycin, an antibiotic, that over-the-counter BP creams don't have. The antibiotic makes it more effective; according to the product insert, the combination of BP and clindamycin is more effective than using BP or clindamycin alone. I'm currently using Benzaclin. At first when I started using it, I was washing with Cetaphil gentle cleanser and I got results that were marginally better than when I followed Dan's regimen with Neutrogena On-The-Spot. I was pretty disappointed until I started using a different wash- C&C Blackhead Clearing Scrub with salicylic acid. Now that I'm using the C&C wash with Benzaclin, things have really improved. I still get a few zits, but the breakouts are smaller and I don't get them every day, and furthermore they seem to clear up faster. Your question is really an interesting one, because I've been wondering whether I'd get comparably good results using Neutrogena On-The-Spot, instead of Benzaclin, with C&C Scrub. I never tried Dan's regimen with C&C wash (I used the Cetaphil cleanser) so I can't really make a fair comparison. So I guess my answer is....Benzaclin is better than Neutrogena On-The-Spot, but Neutrogena might be sufficient for controlling your acne type. You'll just have to experiment with it.

I now use C&C morning and night, but for the first week and a half I only used it during the morning because I was concerned about dryness.