Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
P-Unit26

Using gel from vitamin E gelcaps topically?

I have started taking vitamin E gel capsules (taken orally) as a part of my daily medicine ritual, and I was told that if you have a new scar you can pop one of those gel caps and put the gel on the scar and it will help it heal.

So my question is, would it be a stretch to use the gel from these vitamin E supplements as a topical acne cream? I haven't tried it yet, I wanted to see if anyone else had.

Right now I need some kind of instant, temporary solution. I have a day of college orientation in about 9 days and I want to look my best since I'll be meeting the people I'll be spending the next 2-4 years with. I'm not looking terrible, but I'm far away from where I want to be. I'm right in the middle of my actual med treatment so progress won't come for some weeks to come, so I need some kind of solution to last just a day. Then I can get back to waiting for the real stuff to kick in. Any suggestions?

Ah. Oops. :P I tried it for the first time today, I was going out and just wanted something to maybe help redness go down. I didn't break out, and it feels softer. Maybe it was just a placebo effect. Thanks for the reply, and new info!

Vitamin E oil is fine. It helps scarring, though may take a while to notice any difference. You can buy the oil in a beauty section (not supplement section).

When you're taking the Vit. E internally, are you taking mixed-tocopherals or the complete 8 different forms of Vitamin E? If it's just one or two forms of it..you're not getting the complete set.

Vitamin E Oil in the actual capsule is not good. The gelcaps you're taking probably aren't 100% pure vitamin E oil so don't apply that stuff to your face..You can buy pure vitamin E oil though...For me it personally made my left cheek much worse after I applied it for a few nights on marks to try to fade them but I have heard it helping a lot of people...Check drugstore.com, they have plenty of different types of Vit E oil you can buy...

i use it all the time, and i have not found it to be "bad".

it's vitamin e, plain vitamin e, why wouldn't it be pure?

and if you're digesting it, it should be fine to set on your face.

i use it for flaky dry spots, scars, rashes, irritation, everythinggg, and it helps a lot.

use it.(:

it's vitamin e, plain vitamin e, why wouldn't it be pure?

The problem is that vitamin E, as it comes in the vast majority of supplemental capsules, isn't really vitamin E! They're almost all estersof vitamin E, like tocopherol acetate or tocopherol succinate. Once we swallow them, they becometrue vitamin E, through the process of digestion.

The problem is that this process apparently happens to a more limited extent when we apply the esters topically to our skin. The scientific evidence seems to show that _some_ of it is de-esterified into true vitamin E, but I don't think it's as much as when we take the stuff orally. If you're going to experiment with applying vitamin E topically, it's probably a better idea to use a non-esterified form for that (if you can find any), but that may present other problems for the user.