Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
altgr

My cheeks are asymmetrical :(

As you can read in the topic title my cheeks are asymmetrical. It looks like one of the is bigger than the other. It kinda sucks. I avoid being taken photo of, because my face looks so... you know, crap. I dunno if it is something which has always been there or not. Berhaps my jawbone has grown wrong or something. I can also see it in the mirror. Sometimes I think like "hey, it's not that bad after all", but other times I feel like it looks worse. This bothers me way more than my acne. None of my friends/family/randomly people have ever told me about it, and that makes me unsure whether they see it or not. I can only "click" with the "small" jaw. What do you guys think about this?

Hard to say without a pic but if your friends and family have never mentioned it perhaps it is in the mind..

Ask your best friend or a family member your close to if you dont want to put a pic up though thats your best bet. I wouldnt let it bother you either way because if it does exist it cant be that noticable for said reasons. Everybody has little quirks anyway - my head goes smaller at the top and if I cut my hair short I look like an Alien lol.

This is a really small issue to be upset over. I understand what it's like to be worried about your appearance, but seriously, you're the only one who cares about your cheeks looking ever so slightly different.

This is a really small issue to be upset over. I understand what it's like to be worried about your appearance, but seriously, you're the only one who cares about your cheeks looking ever so slightly different.

But when I meet new people I often think like "please don't notice my asymmetric cheeks, please". And you can see that they are very unlike each other in the picture (but I have to be honest and say that they does not look that bad irl)

geezus christ, as if anyone is going to notice that buddy.

You're being rediculous mate.

Theres nothing there to be upset about and i MEAN that lol, its almost laughable in a way mate.

geezus christ, as if anyone is going to notice that buddy.

You're being rediculous mate.

Theres nothing there to be upset about and i MEAN that lol, its almost laughable in a way mate.

hehe :) You can see that there is a difference right? Are you being honest or are you just lying to make me feel great? Perhaps it is me who looks at myself too much in mirrors to find errors on myself...

I think your mad.

Course im being honest.

Thats just sooooooooo stupidily small to even think about mate.

All the best buddy

I've scrolled down to find pics before I read your post and I saw the difference, but to be honest its nothing to be worried about. I didn't think of you any different then you are now. And I don't believe anyone will either.

it doesn't matter if they are symmetrical or not, there is absolutely nothing you can do to change it. learn to deal with it, maybe as you get older it will fill in better? who knows.

ok, but what do you think about that I can only "click" on one side? Is that something to worry about? I also wonder if it always has been there, or if it has grown wrong.

I'll ask my dentist. Do you think the problems may be connected? It feels like I can "click" it into a place but then it just keep falling out. Anyone know if there is anything which I can do with it, or do I just have to start accepting it?

I just want to hop in here and remind people that EMO is a support forum. If you cannot be supportive or encouraging, then please do not post at all. This is where we encourage members to talk about thier emotional issues concerning acne, thier appearance, and life in general, so please do not ridicule members for choosing to do just that.

Thank you.

^Nicely put.

altgr - My honest opinion: there is a difference but not too many people will care about that. Asymmetries are normal and this isn't a big deal. Cheer up!

I'll ask my dentist. Do you think the problems may be connected? It feels like I can "click" it into a place but then it just keep falling out. Anyone know if there is anything which I can do with it, or do I just have to start accepting it?

I've known people who got braces and had to have their jaw broken and realigned in order to correct their bite. It resulted in one friend having a more symmetrical look to their lower face.

If you feel there is an issue with jaw alignment and bite, definitely get a consultation with an orthodontist (actually meet with several and get several opinions; consultations are free). This can cause problems later if it is really off. Some people wear down one side of their teeth more, it can put too much stress on one side of the jaw & cause chronic pain...I've heard all kinds of things. I don't really know how much of a problem it is for you, but it can't hurt to have it checked out by a doctor.

And, yes you can tell your jaw is asymmetrical, but most people have some noticeable asymmetry in their face, and it's not distracting from your overall appearance. Try and keep it in perspective & focus on features you like about yourself.

Thank you agein for replying. You guys are awesome :)

And it is taken from the worst angle. From the sides you can't notice the asymmetry. The next time I visit my dentist I'll bring up the topic with him. I think it looks worse in pictures than in the mirror. I don't know why, but perhaps it has something with the lights and stuff? And sometimes I can notice it easier than other times.

No one's face is totally symmetrical.

Just look at pictures in magazines that aren't heavily retouched.

My eyes are two slightly different shapes (two different colors, as well, though I think that just looks cool) and one of my eyebrows is slightly higher than the other.

When I look in the mirror, I am very used to these imperfections and my eyes are trained to look for them. I think that's what's happening with you.

I wouldn't have even noticed your cheeks if you wouldn't have pointed them out and I don't think anyone else will either.

I saw a drawing from 2001 where the artist did draw my cheeks asymmetric. I have never noticed it before. I still have bad self-confidence because of my cheeks. Sometimes I can stand in a mirror for like half an hour to decide whether it is noticeable in real life or not. Sometimes I feel ugly, sometimes I think it's ok. Anyone know how to get over it and how to work on my self-confidence?