Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lollypolly

derm told me roaccutane not diet my only hope

Yesterday I went for a food intolerance test and saw a naturopathic 'doctor' who has prescribed me some pills.

Last night however I also went to see a private dermatologist (cost me £150). He said that the only option, ONLY option available to me is roaccutane. I told him I didn't want to take it due to it's severity and everything I read about it and explained I won't even take a painkiller. He said that my fears about what it can do are largely unfounded but he did, during the course of the conversation, discuss patients he'd had who were taking roaccutane and had developed depression/cataracts/nose bleeds etc. etc.

I told him about the diet changes and he said there is no evidence about a link between diet and acne bla bla bla.. Funnily enough he jokingly said no link between acne and chocolate which is hilarious because the last thing the naturopathic 'doctor' said to me was not to have any chocolate (and he didn't know my intolerance test had detected chocolate).

Anyway, the derm said to think it over and he understood and respected where I was coming from but a lower dosage might be reasonable for me.

I've decided he can stick his advice up his arse. No way do I want to be taking that shit (roaccutane that is).

Now that I know citrus fruit (as well as sugar, chocolate and tomatoes) is a biggie I'm going to take it out completely and if my skin clears again I'm going to book an appointment with him to show him he's talking mince.

Sigh

hey if the diet it working for you why go on accutane, the only thing is the lack of flexability with a strict diet, you really have to plan your life around diet, i know i do, gluten is the worst for me, its in all my favorite foods and when i eat it i get sick

Yeah well it kind of went like this

Acne

Changed diet according to first intolerance test - no dairy, yeast etc.

Acne better

Went raw

Acne went away

Stayed raw

Acne came back - very different to before though

ChangING diet according to second intolerance test

??????? Hopefully acne pissing off for eternity

I love my raw diet, I just need to fine tune it to my particular body's requirements

Sorry to interrupt your thread.

But may I ask what your raw diet consisted of when you broke out? Did you overuse lemon or something?

I've heard the same thing time and time again....I was actually ready to give up on natural methods last year and was set to take Accutane. I ended up not picking up the prescription because I decided that the potential for long-term side effects wasn't worth it. A week after deciding not to take Accutane I developed a raging kidney infection and no natural remedies that I tried worked. At the insistence of family, friends, etc. I went to a doctor and was prescribed antibiotics which after only three pills ended up causing me more long-term problems and suffering than Accutane might have ever caused. I ended up with damage to my central nervous system, vision problems, insomnia, tendon and joint issues, and to top it off my skin (which was clearing up at the time anyway) got ten times worse and every tiny pimple scars now because this antibiotic is known to down-regulate collagen production by 50%. Figures I turn down one toxic drug and end up unknowingly taking another.

But because of my ordeal, I really cannot ever take Accutane now or any other prescription for that matter because my liver/joints/nervous system can't handle anymore assault.

Raw has been working pretty well for me. Sorry to hear that you can't eat chocolate though...I make a huge raw chocolate bar every day because it helps me to keep weight on (and it tastes good!). I noticed that I was breaking out around my mouth and nose from the chocolate so I thought maybe it was the chocolate causing herpes-type pimples and I was right....I started adding lysine-rich mesquite flour to my chocolate and the outbreaks subsided. I also take Red Marine Algae which helps too...

I think tomatoes and avocados may be causing me problems as well, but they are such a staple of my raw diet...

Good luck, I hope your new modified regimen helps you. It's hard to get conventional doctors to understand that you would rather approach things naturally, I know. I consulted a laser/asthetic center recently to see about reducing my acne scars and they tried to put me on every oral/topical acne med in the book. It was disheartening because they pretty much told me I would be dealing with acne and scars for life if I didn't take the medications....Would love to prove them wrong!

Sorry to interrupt your thread.

But may I ask what your raw diet consisted of when you broke out? Did you overuse lemon or something?

It consisted of lots of vegetables, greens, fruits and fats. I had suspected fruit (sugar) and fat was causing problems but it transpires I have a major intolerance to citrus and tomatoes - of which I was eating a lot!

I've heard the same thing time and time again....I was actually ready to give up on natural methods last year and was set to take Accutane. I ended up not picking up the prescription because I decided that the potential for long-term side effects wasn't worth it. A week after deciding not to take Accutane I developed a raging kidney infection and no natural remedies that I tried worked. At the insistence of family, friends, etc. I went to a doctor and was prescribed antibiotics which after only three pills ended up causing me more long-term problems and suffering than Accutane might have ever caused. I ended up with damage to my central nervous system, vision problems, insomnia, tendon and joint issues, and to top it off my skin (which was clearing up at the time anyway) got ten times worse and every tiny pimple scars now because this antibiotic is known to down-regulate collagen production by 50%. Figures I turn down one toxic drug and end up unknowingly taking another.

But because of my ordeal, I really cannot ever take Accutane now or any other prescription for that matter because my liver/joints/nervous system can't handle anymore assault.

Raw has been working pretty well for me. Sorry to hear that you can't eat chocolate though...I make a huge raw chocolate bar every day because it helps me to keep weight on (and it tastes good!). I noticed that I was breaking out around my mouth and nose from the chocolate so I thought maybe it was the chocolate causing herpes-type pimples and I was right....I started adding lysine-rich mesquite flour to my chocolate and the outbreaks subsided. I also take Red Marine Algae which helps too...

I think tomatoes and avocados may be causing me problems as well, but they are such a staple of my raw diet...

Good luck, I hope your new modified regimen helps you. It's hard to get conventional doctors to understand that you would rather approach things naturally, I know. I consulted a laser/asthetic center recently to see about reducing my acne scars and they tried to put me on every oral/topical acne med in the book. It was disheartening because they pretty much told me I would be dealing with acne and scars for life if I didn't take the medications....Would love to prove them wrong!

Thanks for that, I'm finding your posts really helpful and interesting as you're on the same path as I.

Yes I'm not sure if I'm imagining things but I could swear he was actually making me feel worse on purpose talking about the awful psychological effects of acne and how he thought it was worse than what I thought... Hmm, not sure if money is a factor here. Going private accutane would cost £1000.

No fuck it, there's no way I'm damaging my body to that extent. I found it amusing how he was dismissing the side effects on one hand but acknowledging all the bad stuff his own patients had been through at the same time.

I think if it's that serious that you need to sign a waiver to say you'll use two forms of contraception then there's a big warning there that it's seriously, heavy duty stuff.

I don't give a shit if it would clear me short=term if the long term damage is irrepreable.

Yeah I'm going to see how raw goes minus citrus fruit and only two portions of fruit a day plus no tomatoes and lowering of fat. Yay, greens here I come :)

Thanks for the input x

I used to be vegan too. I had never had acne before. After switching to the vegan diet, withing a few weeks I got acne worse than I could have imagined. I thought I had a rash but it never went away.

I never put two and two together because everyone told me diet had no effect on acne. I thought if anything the vegan diet would cure any health ailments I could possibly have.

My dermatologist also put me on accutane, which worked for about a year but then the acne came back almost as bad as before.

I began to do research. Hours upon hours upon days of research. I found the true cause of acne.. too much insulin in the blood which leads to a hormone imbalance. Since carbohydrates cause the biggest insulin spike, I immediately cut out everything aside from a few vegetables. I learned that lean cuts of meat also cause insulin to be released even if the carb count is zero (probably because excess protein can be converted to glucose).

Then I discovered that another factor in developing acne is deficiency of fat soluble vitamins A & D. These vitamins are readily available in animal products but are more scarce and of a lower quality in plant foods, so vegans tend to be constantly deficient in them.

I essentially began eating the exact opposite of a vegan diet. High fat, red meat, moderate protein, some high-fat dairy and a few non-starchy vegetables. The results have been incredible.

It's no coincidence that many vegans and vegetarians get acne (I know 3 people who are vegan and all 3 have acne, coincidence?) They are simply eating too many carbs, inadequate protein and amino acids, and not enough fat soluble vitamins.

I used to be vegan too. I had never had acne before. After switching to the vegan diet, withing a few weeks I got acne worse than I could have imagined. I thought I had a rash but it never went away.

I never put two and two together because everyone told me diet had no effect on acne. I thought if anything the vegan diet would cure any health ailments I could possibly have.

My dermatologist also put me on accutane, which worked for about a year but then the acne came back almost as bad as before.

I began to do research. Hours upon hours upon days of research. I found the true cause of acne.. too much insulin in the blood which leads to a hormone imbalance. Since carbohydrates cause the biggest insulin spike, I immediately cut out everything aside from a few vegetables. I learned that lean cuts of meat also cause insulin to be released even if the carb count is zero (probably because excess protein can be converted to glucose).

Then I discovered that another factor in developing acne is deficiency of fat soluble vitamins A & D. These vitamins are readily available in animal products but are more scarce and of a lower quality in plant foods, so vegans tend to be constantly deficient in them.

I essentially began eating the exact opposite of a vegan diet. High fat, red meat, moderate protein, some high-fat dairy and a few non-starchy vegetables. The results have been incredible.

It's no coincidence that many vegans and vegetarians get acne (I know 3 people who are vegan and all 3 have acne, coincidence?) They are simply eating too many carbs, inadequate protein and amino acids, and not enough fat soluble vitamins.

I was doing your form of eating for years before going raw vegan but it never made any difference for my skin. I had done a lot of research on insulin levels and acne and was convinced lots of healthy fats and meat along with low-glycemic veggies would cure me - it didn't. Not even close. Before doing that I was a cooked vegan, and yes, my skin was the worst back then. Too much gluten and grains, and I wasn't digesting them well.

I actually do a rather low-carb, higher-fat raw vegan, as my diet consists mainly of seeds and vegetables. I do supplement with vitamins A & D, because I know they can be lacking in a vegan diet and because my body does not properly convert beta-carotene to the active form of vitamin A.

I have to say there are many people who have been helped or cured by a raw vegan diet as far as many things go, especially acne. I agree that some vegans seem to have worse acne overall, but raw vegans are kind of in their own category. Most report a huge transformation in their skin after going raw, although it can take some time.

It's no coincidence that many vegans and vegetarians get acne (I know 3 people who are vegan and all 3 have acne, coincidence?)

There are probably 700 people that frequent this website that aren't vegans or vegetarians that do get acne, coincidence?

Answer: yes just the same as the 3 people you know...

Amen to what you girls said about roaccutane, you made my day :P. But I think vegan diet is unhealthy because the body needs animal proteins to function properly, it's only since I started a low carb diet that my skin is nearly perfect.

Gosh! Sorry to hear about your ordeal! It sounds like my worst nightmare!

I know many on this forum dislike accutane because of the side effects, but it cleared me almost straight away. I wish you luck with natural remedies!

Yesterday I went for a food intolerance test and saw a naturopathic 'doctor' who has prescribed me some pills.

Last night however I also went to see a private dermatologist (cost me £150). He said that the only option, ONLY option available to me is roaccutane. I told him I didn't want to take it due to it's severity and everything I read about it and explained I won't even take a painkiller. He said that my fears about what it can do are largely unfounded but he did, during the course of the conversation, discuss patients he'd had who were taking roaccutane and had developed depression/cataracts/nose bleeds etc. etc.

I told him about the diet changes and he said there is no evidence about a link between diet and acne bla bla bla.. Funnily enough he jokingly said no link between acne and chocolate which is hilarious because the last thing the naturopathic 'doctor' said to me was not to have any chocolate (and he didn't know my intolerance test had detected chocolate).

Anyway, the derm said to think it over and he understood and respected where I was coming from but a lower dosage might be reasonable for me.

I've decided he can stick his advice up his arse. No way do I want to be taking that shit (roaccutane that is).

Now that I know citrus fruit (as well as sugar, chocolate and tomatoes) is a biggie I'm going to take it out completely and if my skin clears again I'm going to book an appointment with him to show him he's talking mince.

Sigh

Well if the diet thing doesn't work for you(it doesnt for everyone). you might want to consider accutane. I wouldn't consider it "shit." It helps many many people and probably turn their lives around. As for depression, it's only short term I guess. Acne can cause a lifetime of depression. I wish I could get accutane, I'd rather take that and not have to be sooooo militant about what I eat. You only live once and food is one of the pleasures of life.

I took a low dose of accutane (20mg per day) for only 2 months and the only long lasting side effects I have are flawless skin and higher self esteem. :dance:

If you really want clear skin stop wasting your time and money with these diets and get some accutane. It's not as dangerous as you make it out to be. I am just saying this because I have been in your shoes and tryed all this stuff that doesn't work. Liver cleansing, diets, cutting out dairy, all of it, been there, done that. IT DOESN"T WORK LONG TERM! Get some accutane!

I took a low dose of accutane (20mg per day) for only 2 months and the only long lasting side effects I have are flawless skin and higher self esteem. :dance:

If you really want clear skin stop wasting your time and money with these diets and get some accutane. It's not as dangerous as you make it out to be. I am just saying this because I have been in your shoes and tryed all this stuff that doesn't work. Liver cleansing, diets, cutting out dairy, all of it, been there, done that. IT DOESN"T WORK LONG TERM! Get some accutane!

LOL!

Wasting money on healthy food, and a healthy lifestyle?

You sir, cant be serious. There is nothing I would rather spend money on, than my health.

The only thing that works long-term is diets, Accutane is short-term with side effects. Get to the root of the problem, don't just fill yourself with pills. But thats your choice. Haha :D

LOL!

You sir, cant be serious. There is nothing I would rather spend money on, than my health.

The only thing that works long-term is diets, Accutane is short-term with side effects. Get to the root of the problem, don't just fill yourself with pills. But thats your choice. Haha :D

While I agree that a healthy lifestyle is far from a waste of time. Working your diet around ACNE can be really really hard and limiting. You can eat healthy but still eat yummily(but than that variety might include foods that break you out) Also, its nice to live a little and have occasional Mcdonalds or cake, you only live once. Accutane is a permanent solution for some and doesnt cause any side effects for some. If my acne was severe enough, I would definately "risk" it because it would take a lot of anxiety out of my life. I would still eat healthy, but I wouldnt have to be so torcherously militant.

LOL!

While I agree that a healthy lifestyle is far from a waste of time. Working your diet around ACNE can be really really hard and limiting. You can eat healthy but still eat yummily(but than that variety might include foods that break you out) Also, its nice to live a little and have occasional Mcdonalds or cake, you only live once. Accutane is a permanent solution for some and doesnt cause any side effects for some. If my acne was severe enough, I would definately "risk" it because it would take a lot of anxiety out of my life. I would still eat healthy, but I wouldnt have to be so torcherously militant.

I agree, but saying that diet doesnt affect acne at all is pure bullshit. Its common sense that acne is caused by something there is definitely wrong INSIDE your body.

But yeah, those who can't stick to a "diet" could go with accutane if they want to take the risk. But I would definitely rather fix the inside of my body and live healthy, than overdosing myself with Vitamin A and hoping everything will be alright.

I would rather be edgy and take the risk, but that's me. Do you know how hard it is to be at a friends house and tell them you can't eat food A, B, C, D, and anything else on sesame street? It's just stupid. I've done it, and it doesn't work for me. But with that said if you can stick with your diet and it works: don't bother with Accutane.

You only live once and food is one of the pleasures of life.

I hear what you're saying however I find the above quote ironic. You do only live once so you should take care of the only thing you truly have - your health. Your body should not be abused with chemicals or foods that serve it no purpose. Food is a true pleasure and I get immense pleasure from my raw food. My intolerances are but a minor blip as I'll be able to eat these things again once my body recovers from overdoing them.

If you really want clear skin stop wasting your time and money with these diets and get some accutane. Liver cleansing, diets, cutting out dairy, all of it, been there, done that. IT DOESN"T WORK LONG TERM! Get some accutane!

I'm so glad your skin is clear and that's nice it worked for you. Accutane does not however work long term and the derm even said a few of his patients have to come back for more. I don't waste time or money on any 'diet'.

Also, its nice to live a little and have occasional Mcdonalds or cake, you only live once. I would still eat healthy, but I wouldnt have to be so torcherously militant.

Again I find it very ironic to use you only live once and McDonalds in the same sentence. I wouldn't eat that crap if you paid me. It serves your body no purpose and it doesn't make you feel good period. I'm not torcherously militant with what I eat other than needing to avoid citrus and chocolate I now have free reign over things in my raw diet that I previously thought were problematic e.g. bananas and nuts.

Do you know how hard it is to be at a friends house and tell them you can't eat food A, B, C, D, and anything else on sesame street?

Very much so yes which is why I bring my own lovingly prepared food and have a great time and all my friends like to try my food.

I get what everyone is saying. Having read the accutaneaction website too I'm convinced the risks outweigh the short-term benefits. Accutane is not for me...

i am all for eating healthy but i am frustrated as well not to be able to have pizza or ice cream once and awhile, these things won't kill you, to be honest i think a vegan diet is probably less healthy than someone who ate a pretty good diet and splurged occasionally, and if people are doing all this stuff to live longer think again, there have been people who live past 100 who smoke and drink beer, so i think as long as you eat fairly healthy and exercise you will be fine, but i doubt eating vegan or a raw diet will significantly improve your health, not to mention your wallet, to eat regular food is outrageous but then you throw in the cost of organic, it should all be organic, but my grandma never ate anything special and she is 85, and my great grandma is 106 now, the one thing is she loved green tea, but there was none of this vegan, raw stuff, at times they could barely eat. i just think

that if your acne is cured by diet that is great, but is it sustainable, i am experimenting with diet right now, and being gluten free and dairy free is very hard not to mention 3 times the price, my acne has improved but i still wish i could have a slice of pizza once a week, that could hardly be detrimental to health, but the damn acne stops me, well good luck but maybe after your raw diet for awhile and some cleanses you can start to go back to a regular diet, good luck, your acne does not look to bad though but theres only that small picture

i am all for eating healthy but i am frustrated as well not to be able to have pizza or ice cream once and awhile, these things won't kill you, to be honest i think a vegan diet is probably less healthy than someone who ate a pretty good diet and splurged occasionally, and if people are doing all this stuff to live longer think again, there have been people who live past 100 who smoke and drink beer, so i think as long as you eat fairly healthy and exercise you will be fine, but i doubt eating vegan or a raw diet will significantly improve your health, not to mention your wallet, to eat regular food is outrageous but then you throw in the cost of organic, it should all be organic, but my grandma never ate anything special and she is 85, and my great grandma is 106 now, the one thing is she loved green tea, but there was none of this vegan, raw stuff, at times they could barely eat. i just think

that if your acne is cured by diet that is great, but is it sustainable, i am experimenting with diet right now, and being gluten free and dairy free is very hard not to mention 3 times the price, my acne has improved but i still wish i could have a slice of pizza once a week, that could hardly be detrimental to health, but the damn acne stops me, well good luck but maybe after your raw diet for awhile and some cleanses you can start to go back to a regular diet, good luck, your acne does not look to bad though but theres only that small picture

It's a shame you're frustrated at not eating pizza or ice-cream, I genuinely don't miss these things so I'm not in the same boat as you.

I think your example about people living to 100 or more even though they smoke is a very silly argument. The majority of people who smoke die early or die of cancer or some terrible illness and they look bloody awful FACT. Just because a handful of people don't does not mean that smoking is ok. Those are the most backward arguments I ever hear.

I don't mind paying extra for good quality produce where you can taste the difference. I also disagree that my way of eating will not significantly improve my health. It already has.

I do feel for you, it must be awful wanting that bit of pizza and not being able to have it because of what it will do to your skin and I've been there myself albeit it didn't last long for me.

he wouldnt make money if he told you otherwise

Indeed.

If you have his email, send him some links to the studies.

I'd rather show him the evidence on my own skin :)

Mind you he'd probably say it must've been something else...

Also, its nice to live a little and have occasional Mcdonalds or cake, you only live once. I would still eat healthy, but I wouldnt have to be so torcherously militant.

Again I find it very ironic to use you only live once and McDonalds in the same sentence. I wouldn't eat that crap if you paid me. It serves your body no purpose and it doesn't make you feel good period. I'm not torcherously militant with what I eat other than needing to avoid citrus and chocolate I now have free reign over things in my raw diet that I previously thought were problematic e.g. bananas and nuts."

I think you kind of miss my point. I mean you only live once for fun and being carefree, Im not talking about health. Personally, I would rather be a LITTLE less healthy and eat crap once in awhile and have fun, because again you only live once.