Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aviatrice

oily, flaky, lizard skin in need of help!

All the flakiness is driving me crazy! Oh dear God. I had to spend 14 hours on a plane and when I checked my face in the miniscule bathroom on the 757 I was appalled to see my face! It looks like I have some contagious disease with skin flaking everywhere! I am not on accutane anymore (it's been more than a year). I traveled to a very humid climate (which drove my hair and my face nuts). The individuals who work for the airport security stole my moisturizer because they said creams in excess of 3.4 fluid oz. could not be taken because some idiot decided to use such a container to make a chemical bomb =/ HELLO...couldn't you just SNIFF IT!? It does not smell like a malicious chemical! He also stole my favorite body cream of all time! that bastard.

Anyway...I found my skin to be stickier and quite shiny...but I could not put powder, because it would make my skin somewhat cracked around the pimples I had. I had been desperate because I had no moisturizer. I used the sugar and honey the hotel had provided for breakfast, and tried to exfoliate my skin. It seemed to be working...After washing it off, I put my Smashbox primer (since I had no lotion) then Dermablend Foundation. It looked fine and nothing was cracked to my relief. But then...by noon, I looked in the mirror, and I am shiny and flaking like a lizard! I know I didn't have any moisturizer...but I thought the exfoliation and the humidity would do the trick... Apparently not.

Now, I am back home. I have this pore refining lotion that smells like toothpaste, and I used that today, under my foundation...I STILL flaked. I don't know what the deal is, but I need a solution!

I'm thinking either I need a good moisturizer or exfoliation method (or both). I'd prefer if it were something I could naturally make at home. Also, I have a little bottle of 80% glycolic acid. I thought that might help, but...my face is a bit sore at the moment from all the picking away of flakes with tweezer I have done.

Can someone suggest a product, or products I can use to rid myself of this problem?

All the flakiness is driving me crazy! Oh dear God. I had to spend 14 hours on a plane and when I checked my face in the miniscule bathroom on the 757 I was appalled to see my face! It looks like I have some contagious disease with skin flaking everywhere! I am not on accutane anymore (it's been more than a year). I traveled to a very humid climate (which drove my hair and my face nuts). The individuals who work for the airport security stole my moisturizer because they said creams in excess of 3.4 fluid oz. could not be taken because some idiot decided to use such a container to make a chemical bomb =/ HELLO...couldn't you just SNIFF IT!? It does not smell like a malicious chemical! He also stole my favorite body cream of all time! that bastard.

Anyway...I found my skin to be stickier and quite shiny...but I could not put powder, because it would make my skin somewhat cracked around the pimples I had. I had been desperate because I had no moisturizer. I used the sugar and honey the hotel had provided for breakfast, and tried to exfoliate my skin. It seemed to be working...After washing it off, I put my Smashbox primer (since I had no lotion) then Dermablend Foundation. It looked fine and nothing was cracked to my relief. But then...by noon, I looked in the mirror, and I am shiny and flaking like a lizard! I know I didn't have any moisturizer...but I thought the exfoliation and the humidity would do the trick... Apparently not.

Now, I am back home. I have this pore refining lotion that smells like toothpaste, and I used that today, under my foundation...I STILL flaked. I don't know what the deal is, but I need a solution!

I'm thinking either I need a good moisturizer or exfoliation method (or both). I'd prefer if it were something I could naturally make at home. Also, I have a little bottle of 80% glycolic acid. I thought that might help, but...my face is a bit sore at the moment from all the picking away of flakes with tweezer I have done.

Can someone suggest a product, or products I can use to rid myself of this problem?

Here is my patented cure to flaky, nasty face.

Just for background, I have oily skin, but suffer periodically from what I call the "crypt keeper," when the topicals I use catch up to me and cause my face to peel off. This is how I keep it in check:

If you are using any medicated topicals at night, stop using them until this method has restored your face to normalcy.

At night, after washing, moisturize with your normal moisturizer. Then on top of that, SLATHER ON either Aquaphor or Vaseline. Both have the same active ingredient (petrolatum) which is generally noncomedogenic and gentle. Most people have no problem with either of these products.

This WILL FEEL GROSS. Aquaphor/Vaseline will not sink in, but will form a protective, healing barrier for your face, locking in moisture. Some tips to survive the sticky greasiness: Tie your hair back if you have long hair. Put a towel over your pillow.

In the morning, exfoliate with a gentle scrub or clean washcloth. I cannot emphasize GENTLE enough.

I use aspirin (uncoated, or if it is coated you must first rinse off the coating) dissolved in water to make a thick, gritty white paste. This has the added benefit of reducing redness. Massage your exfoliant into your face using gentle, circular motions. Rinse. If you still feel you need to, use a little cleanser to get off any residue left over.

Moisturize with your regular moisturizer.

A few days of this should have your face feeling happy again.