Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dragon10

Link between sugar and breakouts?

I read this from somewhere that high sugar intake may be the cause of breakouts.. I need a clarification of this, I'm pretty sure things from processed foods with high fructose corn syrup are bad, but what about natural sugars in fruit? Could you ever have too much natural sugar a day?? I noticed this, because the 100% grape juice I buy has 43g of sugar in a 8oz glass! I recently started to eat more healthy, by not buying junk food anymore and eating more fruit.. I would also like to know if there might be a link between sodium and acne.

p.s. eating healthy really could be difficult, like whenever the family gets things like fried chicken or fast food I stop myself from eating the junk.. you know

I won't bother looking for studies on the correlation, if that's what your looking for, just google "sugar and acne".

I will say that the #1 cause of any acne I get is from refined sugar. Usually I am fine with fruit sugars but I avoid high sugar fruits such as grapes and dates and bananas unless I am about to do some high-intensity sprints or am going to eat them as a pre-workout meal.

It was tough for me at first to say no thanks when my family would order pizza or my mom would make a meal that was against my diet, but they eventually understood that it was my choice and I wasn't going to change.

It takes a lot of will power in the beginning, but just ask yourself this simple question before you cave in: is it worth it (meaning - is it worth getting new acne lesions)? If the answer is no, then don't cave. If the answer is yes, then don't beat yourself up anymore than you already are, and enjoy yourself.

And don't worry about your sodium intake. Concentrate on eating more raw foods and less sugars, grains and dairy and everything will fall into place.

I won't bother looking for studies on the correlation, if that's what your looking for, just google "sugar and acne".

I will say that the #1 cause of any acne I get is from refined sugar. Usually I am fine with fruit sugars but I avoid high sugar fruits such as grapes and dates and bananas unless I am about to do some high-intensity sprints or am going to eat them as a pre-workout meal.

bah i eat to much grapes , thx for that. wont buy grapes anymore ^^

banana is fine :) i eat it once a day.i get acne sometime , going to avoid it to see if it was cause of banana.

bah i eat to much grapes , thx for that. wont buy grapes anymore ^^

banana is fine :) i eat it once a day.i get acne sometime , going to avoid it to see if it was cause of banana.

You don't have to stop buying them. I just wouldn't binge eat them as a snack.

Perhaps before you run or lift weights you need a snack, grab a handful or two. (Or a banana)

It was tough for me at first to say no thanks when my family would order pizza or my mom would make a meal that was against my diet, but they eventually understood that it was my choice and I wasn't going to change.

It takes a lot of will power in the beginning, but just ask yourself this simple question before you cave in: is it worth it (meaning - is it worth getting new acne lesions)? If the answer is no, then don't cave. If the answer is yes, then don't beat yourself up anymore than you already are, and enjoy yourself.

And don't worry about your sodium intake. Concentrate on eating more raw foods and less sugars, grains and dairy and everything will fall into place.

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you give me a list of things you eat? Since started eating heathier, I've had some trouble finding foods that I would consider healthy. As for snacks right now I have some fruit (obviously). multi-grain granola bars.. (not sure if its al that good) & raisins (I noticed that these can get really addicting, sugar is way too much, and very very sweet)

p.s. would you recommend dairy once in a while? I mean aren't we all suppose to get dairy if not a little? (I'm a growing teen) Oh yea, would you recommend eating friend eggs??

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you give me a list of things you eat? Since started eating heathier, I've had some trouble finding foods that I would consider healthy. As for snacks right now I have some fruit (obviously). multi-grain granola bars.. (not sure if its al that good) & raisins (I noticed that these can get really addicting, sugar is way too much, and very very sweet)

p.s. would you recommend dairy once in a while? I mean aren't we all suppose to get dairy if not a little? (I'm a growing teen) Oh yea, would you recommend eating friend eggs??

Foods I eat in unlimited amounts;

Chicken

Eggs

Buffalo

Salmon

Greens (lettuce, romaine, spring, basically salad greens)

Onions

Walnuts

Sunflower Seeds

Strawberries

Blueberries

Carrots

Apples (red delicious are my favorite)

Any other vegetable and low-sugar fruit

Eat in moderation;

Grapes (few times a week ONLY before workouts)

Bananas (few times a week ONLY before workouts)

Potatoes (twice a week at MOST)

Avoid COMPLETELY;

ALL cereals and grains. This includes, but is not limited too, wheat, barley, rye, oat, rice, granola, etc.

ALL dairy products (However, the last five days I have been consuming whey protein and I'm doing pretty well. Milk DEFINETLY breaks me out and I highly do not reccomend it.)

REFINED SUGAR

Other things I do is try to workout everyday. Could be anything from walking for 30 minutes, to sprinting or lifting weights.

Try VERY hard to get atleast eight (8) hours of sleep every night. Aim for nine (9).

Do NOT touch or pick at your face for ANY reason (no - not even right before your going to wash it!)

My skin becomes very red and aggravated when I use a wash close to wash it. Therefore, I don't wash my face with anything, just let cold water from the shower fall onto it for a minute.

Sorry I went a bit overboard but you get the point. ;)

Chicken

Eggs

Buffalo

Salmon

Onions

Walnuts

Sunflower Seeds

Strawberries

Blueberries

Carrots

Eat in moderation;

Avoid COMPLETELY;

ALL cereals and grains. This includes, but is not limited too, wheat, barley, rye, oat, rice, granola, etc.

ALL dairy products (However, the last five days I have been consuming whey protein and I'm doing pretty well. Milk DEFINETLY breaks me out and I highly do not reccomend it.)

REFINED SUGAR

Other things I do is try to workout everyday. Could be anything from walking for 30 minutes, to sprinting or lifting weights.

Try VERY hard to get atleast eight (8) hours of sleep every night. Aim for nine (9).

Do NOT touch or pick at your face for ANY reason (no - not even right before your going to wash it!)

My skin becomes very red and aggravated when I use a wash close to wash it. Therefore, I don't wash my face with anything, just let cold water from the shower fall onto it for a minute.

Granny smith and Gala are best :)

red delicious? ew.. lol

how come not almond ? :)

Looks good what u eat :) , Buffalu? i need to try that. lol

Chicken

Eggs

Buffalo

Salmon

Onions

Walnuts

Sunflower Seeds

Strawberries

Blueberries

Carrots

Eat in moderation;

Avoid COMPLETELY;

REFINED SUGAR

no worries dude you didn't go overboard, but yea no grains? What?! I thought whole grains were one if the best things you could do for yourself, I mean when I decided to switch over to more healthier things I switched from sugary cereals to oatmeal.. though I don't seem to have any trouble eating grains though, I just stay away from the spicy food, junk, chips, sweets and things like yogurt & shrimp. I drink milk every once in a while, (I used to drink it all the time, had no trouble with it but I was drinking way too much and eating a lot of junk before and gained some unwanted pounds) But how in the world would I be able to lie without grains, I think I might just stick the whole grains and being chinese I eat white rice everyday too.. good stuff. Oh yea, would you recommend soy milk, I've read that soy products are generally good like tofu..

as for not touching your face, I wash my hands with antibacterial soap so much nowadays. When I first started getting acne when I started puberty I thought buying a cleanser and other face products would be the answer, from seeing it on the tv you know? So I would buy these harsh cleansers and whatnot, believing it would help me. Time after time these products would fail me, but I kept on going back to them because the simple choice of just not using anything will help you more didn't make any sense to me at the time. These products would make my face so red and oily.. it was not until I took accutane that my face stopped forming pimples that hurt like a mofo. Being a guy I feel like using a cleanser really wasn't necessary as my friends didn't use any products.. they would have near perfect skin without having to use any products. Though I kept on using a "gentle" cleanser I still had very oily skin through out the school day, friends would be like why are you sweating so much? I finally decided that I wouldn't use any cleansers or any face product like a week ago, and I can tell you my face isn't even oily anymore.. (only the nose and t-zone, not nearly as much as before). My face isn't red as a beat from the shower now and my fresh feels fresher

Could you share some more tips? I like how you answer questions lol..

-I change my pillowcase every other day, that clean fresh scent is like no other.

-I try to lift weights everyday for at least 30mins and break a sweat, though I don't wash my face or anything after sweating.. should I?

-I drink lots of water nowadays, a little more than half a gallon

-don't sleep in too much

there is for me, it is hard but try to get most sugar from fruits. dont have too much fruit though, its hard to finction without carbs and at least some sugar, you will have low energy

I get my carbs from brown rice and Quinoa for breakfast. Doesnt hurt me at all.

I avoid fruits completely due to yeast infection, but I can get my carbs from brown rice and Quinoa without problems. And once im going to eat fruit again, im only going to use it as a snack in the afternoon. No fruits at night for me, thats like über blood sugar spike before im sleeping. Never doing that again.

And like the others said, avoid the main triggers. Perhaps you are intolerant/allergic to something? Ever taken high doses of antibiotics?

And by the way. I think you should switch your oats out with Quinoa. That tastes great, and doesnt contain gluten like oats can. And gluten is a huge trigger for acne. Quinoa cooked with water for cereal with some almonds/walnuts or seeds. Tastes awesome.

-I change my pillowcase every other day, that clean fresh scent is like no other.

-I try to lift weights everyday for at least 30mins and break a sweat, though I don't wash my face or anything after sweating.. should I?

-don't sleep in too much

I really wish I could say that some whole grains don't give me acne and they are healthy, but that just simply isn't the case. I've tested most cereals to see if they affect me, and I'm certain that both rice and oats are just as bad for me as wheat. I highly reccomend checking out the book "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain or "The Paleo Diet for Athletes", either one is very informative and explains why grains have no place in our diet.

- As for changing your pillowcase, I suppose it doesn't hurt, but I doubt it will help. A few months ago I realized that the laundry detergent I was using on my pillow cases and clothes was irritating my skin, and stopped using detergent all together and instead just use very hot water.

- Don't worry about washing your face after working out, sweat is beneficial to your skin and does NOT clog pores. The same people that spread this around are the same doctors that said diet doesn't affect acne.

- As far as the water drinking goes, I used to do the same thing until I read a lot of information on how contaminated our water supply is. In fact, a few users on here completel cured their acne by buying a water filter. If you can't afford a filter, perhaps just try to get all of your water from fresh fruit and vegetables, as I have been doing.

- As for sleeping in, I haven't heard much about that affecting acne, but I can say that a lot of interesting studies have been done on too much sleep and how it affects your mood and causes depression. Danny (a user on this board) made a very interesting post about it, I'll look around for it.

-don't sleep in too much

I really wish I could say that some whole grains don't give me acne and they are healthy, but that just simply isn't the case. I've tested most cereals to see if they affect me, and I'm certain that both rice and oats are just as bad for me as wheat. I highly reccomend checking out the book "The Paleo Diet" by Loren Cordain or "The Paleo Diet for Athletes", either one is very informative and explains why grains have no place in our diet.

- As for changing your pillowcase, I suppose it doesn't hurt, but I doubt it will help. A few months ago I realized that the laundry detergent I was using on my pillow cases and clothes was irritating my skin, and stopped using detergent all together and instead just use very hot water.

- Don't worry about washing your face after working out, sweat is beneficial to your skin and does NOT clog pores. The same people that spread this around are the same doctors that said diet doesn't affect acne.

- As far as the water drinking goes, I used to do the same thing until I read a lot of information on how contaminated our water supply is. In fact, a few users on here completel cured their acne by buying a water filter. If you can't afford a filter, perhaps just try to get all of your water from fresh fruit and vegetables, as I have been doing.

- As for sleeping in, I haven't heard much about that affecting acne, but I can say that a lot of interesting studies have been done on too much sleep and how it affects your mood and causes depression. Danny (a user on this board) made a very interesting post about it, I'll look around for it.

Yea, I find it that when I wake up earlier.. like at 7 or 8 I seem to have a more relaxed day