Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
anonregime

My Regimen Log + Questions!

Hello!

A Little Background: I'm a 17yr old boy, with slightly tanned (slight African heritage) skin. Suffered from skin problems from about 14/15. Until spots started I had beatifully smooth skin - now its a little "wrinkly". My problem is mainly from all of my forehead, down to my nose. I fret about my skin a lot, and people tend to tell me its not really as bad as I think it is. But to be honest, it matters what I think, less what anyone else thinks.

Strange mixture coming up - I know I have confidence issues but I study in a VERY performance based environment (the latter probably causes the prior!) That means people looking at me critically all of the time as far as I see it.

Oh...and I don't suffer from sensitive skin (apart from acne!), at all. I think its my "roots" lol.

I found this website a while ago in my absolute desperate search for help. I felt really [checks board rules again...okay] shit about myself at that time - I'd just had a bit of an outbreak and I actually wanted to cry looking at myself in the mirror. Having used Benzoyl Peroxide before, I was like "BP....no f***** way, avoid that stuff like the plague". I proceeded to Boots (large UK chain store) and bought myself half the Neutrogena range with all the Sacyclic Acid. Sacyclic Acid did actually work quite nicely on my skin. I mean - we're not talking miracles - but generally I got less spots and felt a little better.

Last weekend I had another little breakout on my face and a variety of circumstances just made me decide that I would take action right then. On Sunday I went out to Boots and bought:

- Brevoxyl (4% BP - all they had at the time)

- Botanics Cleanser

- Botanics Moisturiser (SPF15)

- Eurecin Replenishing Face Cream 5% Urea

- I also ordered Jojoba Oil from mezza.co.uk. It hasn't arrived yet. And when it's your skin, you're impatient! :D:doh:

I started the regimen on Sunday. Some things to admit about how I've started:

- I (quite accidentally) started out using more than the recommended starting amount. Probably by quite a bit.

- I used the Eurecin at night from Day 3...

- I've been using a Neutrogena "Anti Oil" moisturiser in the day for a more matte look. It contains a little bit of Sacyclic Acid. I haven't actually had time to find something else to reduce oily/shiny skin.

Through the first few days I noticed very few side effects and generally it felt quite alright on my skin...if not a tiny bit tight (being darker means redness is not really something thats noticeable either).

I'm now on Day 6 and my skin has definetely cleared up noticeably for me. Most amazing is my nose - no more blackheads after years of having them! I've got one or two new spots in close proximity to each other today...but the consensus on my face is that the acne is reducing. Eurecin is not too uncomfortable actually, but it is annoying - because of my darker and more bumpy complexion I don't dare leave the house with it on my face for fear of the shinyness.

Today I did a first baking soda and rose water exfoliation. (Search "Baking Soda" on the board.) A bit weird - might use lemon instead of rose water next time because it makes me feel sick to the stomach!

HOWEVER

For the last two days I've had a huge problem with tightness, dry skin and flakes around my face. I can't really animate my face much at all. Its my own fault - please feel free to tell me it again! I've probably used too much BP to start and thought I'd be alright because I'd used it before. Around my mouth is so dry I decided not to apply any BP tonight - just Eurecin, particularly as I don't really have skin problems around my mouth anyway!

Next week I have some quite important performance work coming up and I CAN'T be in a position where I don't have full control of my face. It's leaving me a bit confused about what to do next. I can't encourage a breakout, but I need to move my face!

So...thats my progress so far. And now for my questions at this stage in the process:

1.) I made a mistake. :doh: How do I fix it so I can move my face normally again, but not encourage a breakout? If I continue using the same amount of BP for say.... 4 more days, will my skin get used to it? I'll have Jojoba Oil early tomorrow morning if this can be taken into consideration? OR should I just take those days off from the regimen and moisturise with Eucerin?

2.) Can anyone recommend a moisturiser that is available in the UK that is compatible with the regime but that does not promote any shinyness, but still encourages "moisturisation". (Not like a makeup base-type moisturiser!)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep the thread updated more frequently with my progress and hopefully some people will find tracking my progress with different methods/products/mistakes! helpful to their own regime.

Lastly, thanks Dan and the community from the mine of information you've provided me with!

I definitely recommend using Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It's the perfect moisturizer for dry, flaky skin. Its non-greasy and moisturizes very well.

You can still use the BP, but very little.

hey im from the uk as well and i think that moisturiser you're using is the best one you can get really. it really sorts out dry skin problems for me and when you add a couple of drops of jojoba to it it's very powerfully moisturising stuff. i would say if you keep using that you wont have a problem with facial dryness in a a few days or so. as for the bp its hard to know how sensitive your skin is but i get that you dont want to stop completely in case of breakouts. how about reducing it to one application a day for a couple of days and then applying eucerin and jojoba in the eve? if you drop down to a smaller amount of bp (the amount you should be starting with) id gues your skin would be pretty ok soon.

also on the day of your recital if you're flakey id recommend exfoliating with cool as kim deals jojoba method using jojoboa, just search for her name and its in her signature. its very gentle and should get a rid of a lot of those flakes.

as for another uk moisturiser, im afriad ive always used dans, but you may want to look into the simple range from boots as some people really like that. or the olay spf people are recommending on here. either way dont use jojoba in the day as that will make your skin shine like nothing else!

also careful with that salicylic acid moisturiser, and i dont know too much about the botanics range but if you're having any problems with it try the simple refreshing facial wash gel as ive always found that to be really good. good luck with your performance!

Thanks so much for your reply Howling Bells! I'll definetely be trying the Jojoba exfoliation - sounds really helpful. I'll do it in place of the baking soda today, and then (results pending) I'll see if I can do them on alternate days!

Okay, so I've worked out why I was getting such a huge amount of dry skin around my mouth even before my BP application every day (despite using Eucerin). It was the cleanser exascerbating the problem. The cleanser is called "Botanics - Mens Oil Face Scrub". Being DUMB I went in with my normal mindset..."oh great, a scrub that gets rid of oil too!" I completely forgot that this was probably incompatible with the regime, and haven't looked at the label since. Today, I went out and purchased a replacement:

- "Simple" Purifying Cleansing Lotion (No perfume, no colour.)

So, I'll be starting with this today! ALSO: My Jojoba Oil arrived with some FREE Emu Oil (courtesy of mezza.co.uk)! Now I'm a little confused about what/how to use...because Emu might actually be better. I'll look it up and let you know what I do.

:naughty: dont be exfoliating your skin every day on the regimen, you're not supposed to do it at all let alone that frequently. especially when you're just starting out, try and do it as seldom as poss as it really aggrevates your skin, maybe once a week? lol i think i went about 6 weeks without exfoliating at the start! needless to say i was a little flakey. good luck, if you need any more help with uk products feel free to pm me

Guest anonymous
I definitely recommend using Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. It's the perfect moisturizer for dry, flaky skin. Its non-greasy and moisturizes very well.

really you like cetaphil moisturizer. i hate it it's way to thick for me. it's funny h wevrbody's different. guess i should rag on it so much on here, lol. i love the face wash though!

really you like cetaphil moisturizer. i hate it it's way to thick for me. it's funny h wevrbody's different. guess i should rag on it so much on here, lol. i love the face wash though!

I hadn't tried the lotion but am currently using the cream. It's very thick but I would say it moisturiser well, 2 days and no more flaking. The face wash was a no no for me though, too drying. :angel: