Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrznKing

How much does contact sports affect acne?

I box but due to some stuff I couldn't for a few months but I have the OK to go back to sparring.

How will this effect my acne? I have my own headgear so I wipe it off with alcohol each night so I know I'm good as far as bacteria is concerned. But what about irritation? For example, someone throws a punch at my cheek so the headgear rubs against my skin pretty hard. How much does this type affect acne?

I would also like to know, as far as I know it might cause skin irritation which might or might not lead to breakouts. I like most sports, but whenever you have to wear helmets, it's just a that feeling that gets to me like man.. this might make me breakout, or times like in soccer or basketball when the ball touches your face or someones hands..

Playing sports and your gear won't break you out. If you have existing acne, then rough play could obviously aggravate it.

Another misconception is that sweating worsens acne, which LOTS of people have found the opposite true, and if one really took the time to think about it, it doesn't even make sense in the first place. (For example, isolated islanders who have been studied to have virtually NO sign of acne, sweat all day in the sun working and don't come home to a hot shower either.)

However, athletes are typically told to eat a high carb diet for energy, and that is why a lot of athletes think that sports are causing their acne, when it is really their diet.

Boxing should be bad u get hit in the face. makes acne worse

my dad should box he has lots of scars on his cheek , seems like he had bad acne... very

I don't see people here with that much scars at all as my dad. ;/

Playing sports and your gear won't break you out. If you have existing acne, then rough play could obviously aggravate it.

Another misconception is that sweating worsens acne, which LOTS of people have found the opposite true, and if one really took the time to think about it, it doesn't even make sense in the first place. (For example, isolated islanders who have been studied to have virtually NO sign of acne, sweat all day in the sun working and don't come home to a hot shower either.)

However, athletes are typically told to eat a high carb diet for energy, and that is why a lot of athletes think that sports are causing their acne, when it is really their diet.

Well right now I have no acne. Maybe a rare whitehead if that or if I eat VERY sloppy for a few days. Yeah I noticed when I sweat my skin feels and looks better. I used to always pat dry my face with a towel but I leave it a lone now and let it sweat and my skin is very good.

Boxing should be bad u get hit in the face. makes acne worse

my dad should box he has lots of scars on his cheek , seems like he had bad acne... very

I don't see people here with that much scars at all as my dad. ;/

The thing is that it's not pro boxing so I don't get direct hit with the dirty gloves. It hits the face but there's the headgear between the other guys glove and my skin. I mean, I know that if I have lots of acne on my cheeks and I got hit and the spot got irritated I would breakout worse, but what if there is no acne there to begin with? Does irritiaion like that (boxing) cause a pimple/zit to FORM??

As I stated (and it's pretty obvious), any current acne lesions getting punched, will obviously aggravate your entire face, possibly causing current lesions to worsen or open up.

But the glove to the face does not cause the acne.

EddiE, I'm guessing your father has many scars because his face have been ripped open from blows to the head so often, not from acne. ;)

Awesome. :) Thank you so much. After the workout at the gym, is it a good idea to splash cold water on my face before I go home (20 minutes from the gym) to wash my face? The cold water to tighten pores.

Awesome. :) Thank you so much. After the workout at the gym, is it a good idea to splash cold water on my face before I go home (20 minutes from the gym) to wash my face? The cold water to tighten pores.

Splashing cold water wouldn't be a bad idea.

I've recently been taking colder showers instead of warm shower and I feel MUCH more rejuvenated(sp?) then when I was taking very hot showers.