Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sgupta

suggestions for home made moisturizers for DKR?

I'm about to start on the regime tomorrow - I have mild/moderate acne which mostly becomes problematic due to monthly hormones. Unfortunately, I'm a darker skinned individual, and the acne leaves marks that often don't go away for a year :(. I haven't purchased the Acne.org moisturizer, and it's the one part of the regimen that I'm most concerned about.

Does anyone has any suggestions for homemade moisturizers that they find work well with the regimen (moisturizing enough, mitigates flaking, etc). What about only using jojoba oil over the BP? Or some combo like jojoba oil/aloe jojoba/glycerin?

I use mineral makeup during the daytime - I find it only goes on smoothly for me if I blend it into a gel/lotion/moisturizer. I don't get much sun, and so the makeup usually gives me sufficient sun protection as well.

I use a 50/50 mixture of Alpha Hydrox AHA lotion and Cetaphil moisturizing lotion with 3-4 drops of Jojoba oil added. That's the best I've been able to do, and it's pretty good. My major problem has always been flaking. Jojoba masks the flakes well, but can make you shiny if you use too much. Also, using Alpha Hydrox in the first month or two of the regimen is not advisable. Even at half strength, it can still sting. After your skin adjusts to the regimen, though, adding glycolic acid can very much improve your overall complexion and prevent acne in combination with bp. You'll probably have to experiment a bit to find what works best for you.

Finding a good moisturizing method is definitely the hardest part!