Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JSJP

Accutane - Working well but how to cope with dryness?

Hey all, this is now my 16th day on Roaccutane, so far it's worked pretty well, most of the pimples and whiteheads I had have gone. I do still have a fair few red bumps and the odd pimple but I didn't expect too much straight away.

Fave has gone slightly blotchy and red (but that doesn't bother me at all, I can cope with that, just the actual acne I want rid of).

Anyway, around my nose and mouth, chin area I have EXTREME flakes, seriously seriously badly flaking and it's not nice when I brush my chin or nose area to see a load of flake fall onto my clothes, looks awful up close.

Anyway, Have a big thing tommorow where I will be surrounded by a fair few people and really don't want to have the flake problem, these people haven't seen me until before I started on roaccutane so won't expect anything and don't want them to stare/be shocked at the state of my flaky skin.

I have Ted Baker moisturiser but not used that once yet thinking that I should get the skin as dry as possibly, now I read that moisturiser is actually a good thing for it?

If tommorow morning I dash a load of moisturiser on should this clear up the flakes for the day at least, I can cope with the flakes on a usual day no problem.

So what can cure the VERY dry flaky skin around my face, i'm using vaseline a little for my lips but that makes them feel really oily as well as the skin which i don't like, but i guess is a must as well?

Thanks in advance. JP

Definitely load up on moisturizer throughout your entire course. It actually softens and loosens the dead skin. Trying to dry it out further will only cause more flakes.

Cheers for clearing that up.

However, Tommorow morning I will be going to a supermarket to pick some stuff up, not able to get into town to go to Boots or whatever.

Being in the UK as well it seems 90% of those recommended moisturisers aren't available over here, whats the best choice to get from a UK supermarket?

Thanks.

Same here. Do you not have Cetaphil in the UK? If it comes down to it, any intensive moisturizer without dyes or fragrance should do some good.

i used cetaphil cream when i was on accutane. also, try supplementing with fish oil to help with dryness. for flakyness nothing works better then jojoba oil. good luck

try the eucerin 5% urea moisturiser, or any of their moisturisers really, they're really good for dry skin (can get in boots). also i think once you've got those flakes you cant really cure them per se as they're dry skin thats ready to some off. best thing to do is exfoliate them off then use a really good moisturiser to stop them coming back. i exfoliate with jojoba oil rubbed on your face dry but this is because im on dans regimen and need to be super sensitive, you may be able to get away with something like baking soda? anyway id say when you wake up in the morning exfoliate those flakes off and pack on the eucerin (poss mixed with some jojoba, you can get it at holland and barrett if that helps) then you should be ok!

Cheers, managed to get some Nivea soft intensive moisturising cream earlier today, has in it jojoba oil and Vitaman E which I hear is good, so hopefully that'll clear the flakes up a little.

Will also look into the above products.

Thanks.