Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hi guys,

Just looking for some exfoliation advice.

Jojoba oil doesn't agree with my skin but I am tempted to try the honey and sugar method mentioned by erika.

I'm abit fearful it will irritate my skin and aggrivate my acne.

Can anyone reassure me as to its success?!

My skin is really dry and flakey in certain areas (mouth!!!!) and I not exfoliating could be the cause!

Don't be afraid. Honey and sugar is a very effective method used specifically for dry skin. Honey works as moisturizer, speeding up the healing process, and kills the bacteria. Sugar works as an exfoliant, and it's actually a very natural source of glycolic acid. "Glycolic acid goes under the damaged upper layers of skin and destroys the 'glue' which holds dead skin to the surface. As this dead skin is chemically burned off, the other ingredients carry the individual flakes away and a water rinse neutralizes the remaining acid. The result is a much-smoother skin surface and a more youthful appearance." Just be very gentle when using it, because you can irritate your skin if you scrub too hard.

Sugar works as an exfoliant, and it's actually a very natural source of glycolic acid.

Not completely true. I agree that sugar works as a physical exfoliant (since you can scrub your face with it and the scrubby bits loosen dead skin), but it is not a source of glycolic acid. Glycolic acid is derived from sugar, but that requires more complicated chemical processes than just mixing it with water. You won't chemically exfoliate your skin with sugar.

I can't guarantee anything... but I can tell you that I've personally had great success using sugar as my exfoliant. I put cetaphil moisturizer on my finger and then dip that into sugar. This method has never broken me out and I've found it really helps as an added step to the Regimen.

Best wishes finding what works for you!