Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khrysalis

Summer's here at last!!!

Hey guys, it's that time of year again--SUMMER!! Time for fun in the sun, picnics with family and friends, backyard BBQ's, cooling off at the beach or the water park, or for heading to tropical destinations.

I think most of us use BP twice daily. I know I do. But even if you only use BP at night, even if you only use a few times a week as needed, it's very important now that summer is here to PROTECT YOUR SKIN! I'm sure most of you do already. But if you don't or aren't using sun protection as often as you should, then you'll need to start making this an important part of your regimen during these months when the sun is closest to our planet.

Failure to use sun protection can lead to sun damaged skin and phototoxicity, since BP increases our sensitivity to UV rays. Even those who are sporadic users or only use BP at night are at risk.

For those planning to tan up at the local salon before heading to the Carribbean, the same risks apply. UV rays are UV rays, whether or not they are natural. Leaving off the BP the day of your appt. is not enough. You'll still need to protect your skin.

Leaving off the BP when you spend the day at the beach is also not enough. Wear a waterproof sunblock and reapply every 2 hours when swimming. Consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat or even a sport cap with a brim for good measure.

Hey, I know this is common sense stuff, and like I said, I'm sure most of you already use sunblock or sunscreen whenever you leave the house. But I just wanted to put a friendly reminder out there so we can all enjoy a happy, healthy, and safe summer. :cool:

Here are some good noncomedogenic choices for sun protection that I've seen out there in Forumland:

1) Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin w/ SPF 15 and a few drops of jojoba (Dan's recommendation for face)

2) Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch w/ SPF 15

3) Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture w/ SPF 15 (my personal fav)

4) Copper-Tone Oil-Free (not sure of SPF but I think may be 30)

5) Banana Boat Sunblock w/ SPF 30

Some summer skin-care tips from your Friendly Neighborhood Khrysalis! And if you have your own summer skin-care tips or comments you'd like to add, please feel free to add to the list. :)

Happy, healthy, and safe summer, everyone!! :cool: BTW, don't drink and drive and always have a designated driver. Just thought I'd throw that in there, too! ;)

Good suggestions, Debra.

I'd also like to add to the list one sunscreen that I'm wearing this year is PreSun spf 28. It's for sensitive skin and it's titanium dioxide.

It is the only high spf product that I can wear now without feeling a sting. Although it is very white and takes awhile to get it blended in, I've worn it in the pool and not gotten any sunburn whatsoever.

And ladies, if you are in the habit of wearing a makeup foundation with spf 15, you may be fine for everyday incidental sun exposure, but be sure to use something additional for days you are going to be spending a lot of time outdoors. I usually use the Olay spf 15 lotion followed by my Almay Smart Shade foundation which also has spf 15 in it. Haven't had any problems at all. Then when I'm going to be out in the pool or in direct sun I put on the PreSun.